Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jaye,

Well, I've made it back to ask for your advice regarding my current hair color delima.  For all others reading this with knowledge on the subject, please chime in.  I'd love to hear from you, too.  (I grew out my old color to 100% white, which is what I have been since my early 30s.)

I don't know if you recall, but at my first appointment with my new stylist, I walked out of the salon with a darkish blonde that looked very beige.  It's not what I asked for and, frankly, was rather ugly. So, when I showed up for my second appointment, we discussed the fact that I wanted some "zing" in the color; e.g., let's get a tic of red/copper and go a bit darker.  At the end of that session, #2, I had carrot top colored hair.  I said nothing, as I wanted to go home, look at it in the light of my own home, outside, etc., see what it did after several washes.  It was baaaaaaad.  Carrot top bad. 

At this point I called her and asked her to think my original wishes, which I reiterated and she asked me to come in - she'd squeeze me in - "no thank you" to getting squeezed in.  Told her I'd just wait until my next appointment, which wasn't too far off.

So, I show up for the appointment #3 and we discussed color once again.  At the close of the appointment, the color was darker, but, darn, it now looked like "darker" carrot top!  Within 2 washes, I was back to bright carrot top.  I don't know what it is with this stylist: listening to her clients isn't one of her strong points.

One week ago I got sick and tired of looking at this ridiculous carrot top red, so went to Sally Beauty and purchased a light brown with copper highlights.  OMG, Jaye!  My hair turned DARK brown with LOTS of red highlights.

Question: is there a product I can use to lighten this horrible dark brown hair? 

HELP!

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Paging Feline Groovy

[ Edited ]

ative wrote:

Hi Jaye,

Hey Becc,

Well, I've made it back to ask for your advice regarding my current hair color delima.

Happy to help; thanks for the update. 

For all others reading this with knowledge on the subject, please chime in. 

I'd love to hear from you, too. 

(I grew out my old color to 100% white, which is what I have been since my early 30s.)

I don't know if you recall, but at my first appointment with my new stylist, I walked out of the salon with a darkish blonde that looked very beige.  It's not what I asked for and, frankly, was rather ugly.

Bummer.

So, when I showed up for my second appointment, we discussed the fact that I wanted some "zing" in the color; e.g., let's get a tic of red/copper and go a bit darker. 

At the end of that session, #2, I had carrot top colored hair. 

I said nothing, as I wanted to go home, look at it in the light of my own home, outside, etc., see what it did after several washes. 

It was baaaaaaad.  Carrot top bad. 

Yes, you were going for a vibrant light-to-medium reddish-blonde shade that would pop your blue eyes and brighten your complexion, correct?

Huge bummer.

At this point I called her and asked her to think my original wishes, which I reiterated and she asked me to come in - she'd squeeze me in - "no thank you" to getting squeezed in. 

Told her I'd just wait until my next appointment, which wasn't too far off.

Please tell me you had brought some visual aids with you, like

magazine pics, pics printed from the 'Net, hair color box swatches, etc. that all depicted the color/shade you're hoping to achieve.

I say this because hairdressers (and especially, colorists) find them much more helpful since descriptions can be interpreted in different ways.

(I understand this as I'm a very visual person)

And they do want you to be fully satisfied with their work.

So, I show up for the appointment #3 and we discussed color once again. 

At the close of the appointment, the color was darker, but, darn, it now looked like "darker" carrot top! 

Within 2 washes, I was back to bright carrot top. 

I don't know what it is with this stylist: listening to her clients isn't one of her strong points.

One week ago I got sick and tired of looking at this ridiculous carrot top red, so went to Sally Beauty and purchased a light brown with copper highlights. 

OMG, Jaye!  My hair turned DARK brown with LOTS of red highlights.

Really big bummer.

May be nice for others, but "acckkk!" for you.

Question: is there a product I can use to lighten this horrible dark brown hair? 

Yes, it's called 'Color Oops'; Google it for online and in-store vendors.

Some websites can even tell you if it's available in the store closest to you.

Also, a professional colorist  can strip some of the darkness and color, then re-color it with the correct flattering shade.

Make sure you deep-condition the heck out of your hair after 2-3 days of not washing it to allow to color to 'settle', and then on a weekly basis, as this procedure is a bit rough on your hair.

BTW, I had to have this done one time myself, as my hair turned out almost black and was in no way flattering on me, LOL.

HELP!

Please don't worry too much; this can be fixed.

Along with with your new hair length and style, you will rock it at your high school reunion and important job interview.Smiley Happy

~Rebecca

~ Jaye

*please excuse any errors*

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy

Hi Jaye,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes, I did provide visuals to her and the reaction she provided was negative.  I suppose I should have walked away at that time, because it was something like, "That won't do." (I'm close to a quote here.) 

And yet what I ended up with at that first appointment was that blonde-beigey color you see on so many 80 year old women.  She made a judgement call on me based on her values rather than listening to me.  Then at the 2nd and 3rd appointments, she didn't listen again and I end up carrot top headed and never even alluded to a desire to have a had of hair that color.

Thank you sooooooo much for  steering me toward "Color Oops."  I'm going to go online, as soon as I'm done here and see where I can purchase this product.  And, yes, I have been super conditioning my hair in the interim.

As much as I hate to leave this stylist, as she gave me a permanent 50% discount at my last appointment, I'm seriously thinking of doing this.  If I go into a hardware store to purchase red paint at 50% off and they give me black paint at 50% off instead, with no returns, I'm stuck.  Same here with my hair, though I can color my own hair and did so, but the results were bizarre (never happened before).

Again, thanks so much for your advice. Will get back to you with results.

~Becc