Honored Contributor

Re: POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO BRITTLE, SPLITTING NAILS

[ Edited ]

First & foremost - ask your Doctor to do thyroid studies (bl. work) because thinning hair and brittle splitting nails are the first sign of a bad thyroid. With anything on your body you don't want to treat the symptom - you want to find out WHY you have a symptom and treat the cause.

Trusted Contributor

I've had my thyroid checked and my hair is very thick but nails are ridged, crack and are brittle.  I wash my hands a lot but try to use oil on my nails at night.  I gave biotin and honest try over 6 months and I didn't see improvement.  I'm curious what vitamin I must be missing, or does this just Come with age?  Perhaps I should try to always were a base coat so that my n@ked nails aren't so exposed to water and Handsoaps?  I'm at a loss too, and don't want to take any medication purely for something so cosmetic in nature.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Montana wrote:

Biotin does nothing for my hair, but always helps my nails.  I need to start taking it again. 

I took high doses of Biotin for over a year and it did absolutely nothing.   Lessman's hair and nails capsules gave me an upset stomach and also did nothin

I think the solution for good nails is in the genes and there's not much you can do to overcome bad ones.   I've tried about everything in the marketplace to no avail. 

@Kachina624    I've always had crummy nails......and so has my one female cousin.    I also think it's in the "genes".......because I've tried everything else, too.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
When I lived in Hollywood wore acrlyic nails. Retiring moving to the Adirondacks several years ago no longer wanted. Began taking Nature's Bounty Biotin along with Nature's way Alive women 50 plus multi vitamin. Nails grow and are very strong! Can't stand long nails. Trim every two weeks. Swear seems nails grow faster than I can keep up with. Never wear polish. Short clean nails.
Valued Contributor

Try Nailtiques Formula 3. I use Formula 2 and it has made a huge difference. You can buy it at CVS. I also went to the Nailtique website later on and purchased the item that you can drop into the formulas if they start to thicken. Thickening can happen with numerous openings of the tiny bottle. I never have to throw any away because of thickness since I purchased this item. I always use a coupon at CVS to save $. I have gifted the Nailtiques to several friends and they love it too. I read about it here on this forum years ago. Absolutely works for me so you might give it a try. Be sure and read the instructions.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

First & foremost - ask your Doctor to do thyroid studies (bl. work) because thinning hair and brittle splitting nails are the first sign of a bad thyroid. With anything on your body you don't want to treat the symptom - you want to find out WHY you have a symptom and treat the cause.

Excellent point! Completely agree.
Honored Contributor

I used to take biotin sups but after many months I didn't see any improvement in my nails or hair. So I switched to another sup...bamboo silica. My nails grow fast, which I'm not crazy about, and they strong and healthy. I can't get over how shiny my hair is now, too! Grows fast! One other thing about this silica is that it helps the skin with collagen production. In fact, the collagen molecule is largely made up of silica.Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I am seeing good results with Lessman's Marine Collagen. Have not been to the nail salon since before Christmas. No polish needed. Before using, my nails and cuticles were a cracked, ugly mess. Now my hands look great, even during the middle of winter.

Honored Contributor

The only thing that works for me is TIPS.  I've tried other oils, believe me, my fingers are a constant science project.  I have found that nail polish simply makes them worse.  Right now I'm trying Julep, the pink one that supposedly lets the oxygen in, some of it anyway.  After two months, they haven't started breaking or splitting again.  Knock on wood. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I just looked up the Isdin Betalfratus and it is about $77 at amazon and it is a tiny bottle and it is for the appearance of nails and to fill in grooves one review I think and it says nothing about strength of nails.

@DowntonAbbey -When I looked yesterday, a bottle of Betalfratus was about $36.00 and yes it is a tiny bottle, but according to the reviews it lasts months.  I will look again today.  As I mentioned before, I am going to test and see if my two splitting nails improve.  I've tried all of the products people have mentioned with no success, and as for my thyroid, I have beautiful hair, but I will ask my doctor next time I see him about a thyroid test.  Good luck to all on your search for something that really works.