Super Contributor

Organic Skin Care - any good?

Is there a line of organic skin care that actually works to diminish wrinkles or just give you a nice glow/complexion?  One that isn't going to break the bank.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Organic Skin Care - any good?

[ Edited ]

I personally do not believe in pure organic skin care, as much as I would love to, really!

"Organic" is a good buzz word though in this industry. Not all natural or organic in our world of Nature necessarily is good for human use or consumption. Nature too, has many things that can even easily kill us - no problem!

Even if certain natural/organic products are very-very good and full of nourishing ingredients, does not necessarily mean they can find their way to bind with our skin and actually do something useful for it.

I will get some Vitamin C and other goodies if I eat a Strawberry, but not sure, if it's going to really take care of my wrinkles! Well, it will feel and smell good. If I put it in a cosmetic jar for later use, I'll have to pour some potent "non-organic" preservative for it to survive beyond a few hours!

I think modern cosmetic chemistry, based on Science, now is reaching levels high enough creating considerably safe products that are designed to perform and do a fine job in skin care these days.

Of course, those companies, who also utilizing a lot of ingredients derived from natural sources, and able to create a great delivery system - are the best! 

I believe in the progress of modern cosmetic science, which is able to create skin care having in itself the best of both worlds and marry them - Nature and Human Ingenuity/Science, through the use of modern technologies and fast growing knowledge of the bio-chemistry.

Valued Contributor

I think Suzanne Sommers are excellent. I didn't like the lifting products but the Everyday line is IMO superb. I re-ordered many times.
I'm 62 so I need products that produce results and was very pleased with SS.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me it's not important to be organic as much as it is to be free of known dangerous ingredients. 

I like to visit a website:

ewg dot org/skindeep

Here you will find a ton of info about ingredients and how they rank in toxicity. It's interesting. I use it as a guideline and by no means the written law.

@Poppet1 is there a particular product you are looking for?...moisturizer, cleanser, serum...??

Frequent Contributor

I have to second @SilleeMee's reply. EWG is a great resource. So is an app called "Think Dirty." I don't have an organic skincare routine but I have drastically reduced some questionable ingredients that i use.

Good luck on your search. I know people like Beauty Counter products. Whole Foods is a good starting place to browse.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Avalon Organics and Alba Botanica are both good, and very reasonable price-wise.

Frequent Contributor

@Poppet1 Juice Beauty is an excellent line of organic skincare. It's definitely efficacious. Their serums just sink right in. I use their anti-aging one and OMG, it's luxurious. Love their cleansers and toners as well. I've seen Suzanne Sommers present her line of organic skincare on Evine Live, but I've never used it. I've heard good things though. Beauty Counter is okay. Not sure if it's actually organic though. Either way, Beauty Counter's skincare line is very limited...not very many options. I do use their one serum, which I think is out of this world GREAT. I would look into Juice Beauty as a start.

Honored Contributor

@Poppet1 I have found them all delightful to use. But they just plain aren't anti-aging enough for me. Instead, I'm opting for all the newest ingredients (since the old stand bys really don't work) but without certain chemicals.

Trusted Contributor

I don't care much about "organic" per se.  I do care about ingredients and toxicity.  I also want to be sure the products I'm buying are not tested on animals and are cruelty free right down to the make-up brushes.  Some companies don't test on animals, but use animal fur for their make-up brushes. 

Trusted Contributor

@nycgrl - If you haven't yet tried them - I recommend the EcoTools line of brushes. Cruelty free, reasonably priced, and just plain great!