Valued Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sailor_moon wrote:

Hair dyes, perms, relaxers etc. can cause hair loss in some individuals, so where's the outrage and demand for recalls concerning these products?

Yes and I fail to understand how people can be proof positive it is the Wen. There is always the chance that they have hair loss for hormonal reasons or they have thyroid issues and they just happened to be using Wen at the time. It will be very difficult to prove it is the Wen because it could be coincidental.

I heard Loreal also had issues with one of their products and Fructis serum if a consumer used it with a hot iron, it could cause a fire and extensive burns. Where is the outrage.....I have never read anything here about these serious issues. Just Wen....hmm.

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sailor_moon wrote:

Hair dyes, perms, relaxers etc. can cause hair loss in some individuals, so where's the outrage and demand for recalls concerning these products?

Yes and I fail to understand how people can be proof positive it is the Wen. There is always the chance that they have hair loss for hormonal reasons or they have thyroid issues and they just happened to be using Wen at the time. It will be very difficult to prove it is the Wen because it could be coincidental.

I heard Loreal also had issues with one of their products and Fructis serum if a consumer used it with a hot iron, it could cause a fire and extensive burns. Where is the outrage.....I have never read anything here about these serious issues. Just Wen....hmm.

Well - QVC isn't making millions of dollars off of Fructis serum, so there would be a reason. 

And what's with all of the tin hat conspiracy about shampoo money? Clearly, people are being paid to badmouth WEN by "big shampoo". lmao. 

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I remember when this product first came out and read a review from Paula.  She said there was nothing in the product that could clean and didn't recommend. 

Later, she changed her review for some reason.  

@Sunshine Kate

Perhaps she tried it for herself and had the same great results many of us have experienced.

I don't think hair loss is a great result.  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I remember when this product first came out and read a review from Paula.  She said there was nothing in the product that could clean and didn't recommend. 

@Sunshine Kate

Perhaps she tried it for herself and had the same great results many of us have experienced.

No, it's not a great result....but many thousands of us have used WEN with NO hair loss and it has, in fact, much improved our hair. I'm one of those whose hair is much healthier since using WEN!

Respected Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

No, it's not a great result....but many thousands of us have used WEN with NO hair loss and it has, in fact, much improved our hair. I'm one of those whose hair is much healthier since using WEN!

The point remains that people have lost their hair. Whether you like it or not, defend it or not  it is on the watch list and being investigated.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

The point remains that people have lost their hair. Whether you like it or not, defend it or not  it is on the watch list and being investigated.

So if the FDA doesn't find anything "abnormal" about WEN and it gets to stay on the market, will you and others finally accept the fact that just because some have a reaction, many others do not and that WEN does not contain anything "dangerous" or harmful, at least nothing that isn't found in thousands of other shampoos and conditioners? Or will you just simply say the FDA is incompetent or a scam?

I agree to acdept the fact that WEN is "bad" if the FDA pulls it off the market.

Agreed?

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

So if the FDA doesn't find anything "abnormal" about WEN and it gets to stay on the market, will you and others finally accept the fact that just because some have a reaction, many others do not and that WEN does not contain anything "dangerous" or harmful, at least nothing that isn't found in thousands of other shampoos and conditioners? Or will you just simply say the FDA is incompetent or a scam?

I agree to acdept the fact that WEN is "bad" if the FDA pulls it off the market.

Agreed?

I 100% believe that there are many people who use WEN without incident. It would be really unfortunate for this product to be removed because of the many people who use it and of course those who have developed it and sell it for their livelihood. However, just because the FDA doesn't completely remove it for sale to the public doesn't mean those that have had reactions have been making it up - or that it can be attributed to something other than WEN. This issue is not that black and white. Some people clearly have had issues with WEN, others clearly have not. 

The FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS) is misunderstood by many people regardless of their stance on WEN. The best analogy I can think of is that it is a canary. To give background on this, early on in the industrial revolution, canaries were used by miners to test for the quality of the air in mines. If the canaries died, the miners knew to get out as the air was bad. FAERS is set up much the same way in that it can give researchers a heads up if any new adverse events are seen from a certain product - in this case, WEN. But that is not the end of the work. Since the system is set up to try and minimize underreporting, anyone can submit to it. As a result, all adverse events need to be verified through checking the medical records and verified with a properly designed study. Some people stop at just using the FAERS data (called dumpster diving in FAERS) but that is abusing the system. If FAERS is used as intended, it is an invaluable tool for researchers and the public well-being. If after further evaluation the FDA determines that WEN is associated with the risk, it may take a variety of actions, including requiring changes to the labeling, requiring development of a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS), or gathering additional data to better characterize the risk. There is almost the same exact thing set up for vaccines (VAERS). 

So that said - we'll have to wait and see - and we'll probably be waiting a very long time. Actual research takes time. But - case in point, it doesn't require an entire market-pull for the FDA to recognize there is a problem with a product or drug. It could just be a problem for a certain amount of the population - but enough to warrant a specific warning. It maybe just say - if you have a sensitivity to _______ etc. But that's all completely just guessing. Only time will tell on this one. 

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

Agreed?

For me, I don't like wen. It did nothing for my hair except turn it into a greasy mess.

My issue came when I saw the treatment by the wen supporters on the boards of those who lost their hair, or for that matter, people who expressed anything negative about the product. @HappyDaze you have NEVER, to my knowledge, lit into anyone that has lost their hair. Hair loss for a woman or a man an awful thing, no matter what the cause. You have always been supportive and kind on that issue.

Some people believe that wen caused hair loss and complained to the FDA. I have never rallied to have QVC remove it, they will do whatever is best for their company. Justly so.

The product isn't good for me, so I moved on to others of my liking. I think wen elicits strong negative reactions due to any number of things. The hair loss, the greasy nature for some, the vendor, the cost, the smell....whatever it is that turns people off. It does so in a big way.

I will be interested to see what the FDA says. In the meantime, opinions are just  opinions, everyone is allowed to have them.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

Like so many other products that have side effects, example cigarettes have a warning "may cause cancer" maybe Wen could have a warning "may experience hair loss". I think that should take care of it, maybe. 

Honored Contributor

Re: On the FDA Watch Really

[ Edited ]

Jacie wrote:

HappyDaze wrote:

Agreed?

For me, I don't like wen. It did nothing for my hair except turn it into a greasy mess.

My issue came when I saw the treatment by the wen supporters on the boards of those who lost their hair, or for that matter, people who expressed anything negative about the product. @HappyDazeyou have NEVER, to my knowledge, lit into anyone that haslost their hair. Hair loss for a woman or a man an awful thing, no matter what the cause. You have always been supportive and kind on that issue.

Some people believe that wen caused hair loss and complained to the FDA. I have never rallied to have QVC remove it, they will do whatever is best for their company. Justly so.

The product isn't good for me, so I moved on to others of my liking. I think wen elicits strong negative reactions due to any number of things. The hair loss, the greasy nature for some, the vendor, the cost, the smell....whatever it is that turns people off. It does so in a big way.

I will be interested to see what the FDA says. In the meantime, opinions are just  opinions, everyone is allowed to have them.

@Jacie I am one of the few who tell people to stop using the product if they are experiencing negative reactions however it does bother me when people who have had issues with wen scream it should be taken off the market as I don't think it is fair to those that use and love the product without any issues and have for years. I certainly do not expect or would not ask for products to be removed that I had issues with. If so, there would be tons of products gone, including IT, Philosophy, algenist, nick Chavez, Josie maran, Pantene, etc. but I know you understand this. 

I also do do not like the use of menthol and some of the known irritants in some of his products and have voiced those concerns numerous times. There are certain EO and extracts that have shown, in numerous scientific studies, to cause irritation and reactions, sometimes even only after long term use. Inflamed and/or irritated skin can cause hair loss. However, these same ingredients are also found in numerous other products on the market, including hair loss/thinning products so go figure! 

I do do think there are a lot of pot stirrers on the issue of WEN and the pattern of when these posts appear is like clock work. Many of these posters will even contradict their stories which I suppose they think no one will notice but when you see the same posters posting over and over, it is easy to remember what they had said before in the recent past.  It is the craziest thing. I have never seen anything like it. Bizarre. 

With all that said, I will be watching the FDA investigation because although I love some of the WEN products, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and ignore this (although I do believe it is response to the lawsuit and the lawyers are hoping for a bigger payout). However, I will be more than shocked if they pull it from the market as there are no ingredients in it that are not found in a multitude of other products on the market. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I'll stand with that.

@Drythe Okay that is certainly your prerogative- I just think it would make it more interesting and compelling to know what brands have been pulled. Not sure why anyone would blow up about a brand that was pulled by the FDA but then I've been quite shocked at what people blow up about on these forums. 

And not sure what you mean by what is up with me. I'm thinking(sensing?) you didn't mean that in a caring, sincere way  when I was simply curious why you wouldn't share what brands were pulled?

@HappyDaze, I seem to recall that one of the products was that Be Alive Royal Jelly (or Bee Alive) that was sold on QVC and essentially pulled after some FDA problems and possibly even a lawsuit.

I also recall there were issues with the For Women Only weightloss items sold by Dr. Shari Lieberman.  I think those were also quietly pulled from the air after some problems. 

Not sure if those are the products being referred to here or not.