Respected Contributor

Okay we all know the "special water" facial sprays are all the rage.

I currently use the Mario bedascu(sp?) rose facial mist for after I cleanse and exfoliate my face. I was checking out the new Philosophy items here online and they have a new one and I ordered it. Anyone else loving these type of sprays? MAC has some new fix plus and I currently use the reg fix plus after I apply my makeup. I'm thinking of ordering the coconut one. What do you guys think or use?
Honored Contributor

Re: Okay we all know the "special water" facial sprays are all the rage.

I like to use rosewater - I get it from Amazon, cheap and cheerful.

Trusted Contributor

I find most face sprays tend to dry out skin, especially when repeatedly used to freshen up. I have not tried this one, but found the following review on Beautypedia:

CategorySmiley Frustratedkin Care > Toners > Toners
Last Updated:05.28.2015
Jar Packaging:No
Tested on animals:No

Review Overview

Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater is more akin to fragrance for the face than what a good, modern-day toner should offer to skin. The base formula is mostly water, slip agent and aloe—about as boring as it gets—but this also contains fragrant flower extracts from rose and gardenia, and both present a risk of irritation to skin, as does the added fragrance and fragrance chemicals like geraniol. See More Info to find out why daily use of highly fragrant products is bad news for everyone's skin.

PROS:
None.

CONS:
Really basic, nearly do-nothing formula for skin.
Contains fragrant flower extracts that pose a risk of irritation.
Added fragrance makes this even more potentially irritating.
Lacks a good mix of antioxidants, anti-irritants, and repairing ingredients.

More Info:

Daily use of products that contain a high amount of fragrance, whether the fragrant ingredients are synthetic or natural, causes chronic irritation that can damage healthy collagen production, lead to or worsen dryness, and impair your skin's ability to heal. Fragrance-free is the best way for all skin types to go for all skin types (Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2008 & American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, 2003).

The sneaky part about irritation is that research has demonstrated that you don't always need to see it or feel it for your skin to suffer damage, and that damage may remain hidden for a long time (Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, 2008).

In fact, the effect of inflammation in the skin is cumulative, and repeated exposure to irritants contributes to a weakened skin barrier, slower healing (including of red marks from breakouts), and a dull, uneven complexion (Aging, 2012 & Chemical Immunology and Allergy, 2012).

Claims

A refreshing, hydrating mist to use anywhere anytime. Simply formulated with fragrant Herbal Extracts and Rosewater for a pleasant, pick me up for dehydrated, tight and uncomfortable skin.

Ingredients

Aqua (Water, Eau),Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Rosa Canina Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus Extract, Gardenia Florida Fruit Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20,Parfum (Fragrance), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Citronellol, Geraniol, CI 17200 (Red 33),CI 42090 (Blue 1)

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

It depends on what I'm using it for.

If I want a refresh or something to help me cool down, my favorite is the WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist in Sweet Almond Mint. I keep mine in the fridge and spray it all over when I get home on a hot day. Climbing a flight of stairs with my groceries when it's 90 degrees out and super humid is gross! I come inside and spray the mist all over my face, chest, the back of my neck, my arms, and the small of my back. The cool mist and the peppermint are so refreshing!

I have lots of Replenishing Treatment Mists and use them when I need a shot of moisture throughout the day.

If I'm going out or it's very humid and I need my makeup to last, I use Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray. That stuff really works!

Respected Contributor

I have oily skin, so I typically don't use this type of products, but I do have a bottle of the original Mac Fix+. Sometimes my makeup just looks too powdery or too matte, so I mist my face with the Fix+.

Honored Contributor

Skinn has a few "softening" waters that I really like and use all the time. I press it onto my face instead of spraying it on. And I do this right after I cleanse using the clarisonic. Does a really nice job, I think. Then I go about applying the rest of my skincare, day and night.

Honored Contributor

IMO Sisley Paris, makes the best freshener.  It is addictive.  Amore Pacific does too, but Sisley really seems to hydrate on the spot. The aroma is healing.  I get samples now and then. it is really expensive  IMO to buy it .  I think it is around 75 bucks.  Years ago I bought it once, but it was like 30 bucks then. Today, cosmetics (especially skin care) are all over priced.  People pay the high prices, and they keep making it.   guilty here. deep sigh.  If a spoiler tag comes up, not my fault.  Hit it accidentally, and won't go away!!

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Josie Maran has one as well

Frequent Contributor

I really like Celestite Spritz from Skin Actives.   I use after I cleanse in the morning and again to set my makeup.  It's a very interesting product and does produce a noticeable firming and clarity to my skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think using a spray is going to hurt anyone who uses it occasionally in warm weather no matter what Ms Paula says.  As I said I don't buy them anymore, but I use them occasionally.  So refreshing!

I think distilled or pure water with a pinch of pure aloe would do the same thing. .  Maybe put a mint leaf in the spray bottle for aroma.  I know mint can be an irritant, but I think if you just let a peppermint leaf, mint leaf, or rose petals sit in the water for a bit, it wouldn't hurt for a warm weather refresher. You cn buy pure rose water, it is expensive...but not as expensive as the water Spritzs

If a person was going to use these as a regular routine, I would definitely watch the ingredients, or make your own.  I would refrain from using essential oils for aroma.