Contributor

Re: OT/anyone ever use the Saint Anthony prayer to find things?

On 8/22/2014 sjk73 said:

Since you asked, I know what you are referring to is Catholicism. I believe in what is written in the Hebrew or Christian/Judaic Bible. It says you NEVER pray to anyone but your Heavenly Father in Jesus's Name. Case closed. Never refer to anyone as "father" only God the Father or your earth father and even the earth father part is not found in the Bible. When you go to God in private, He will dispatch whomever He decides to help you. You/we don't decide that, He does.

Catholic religion does not want you to gain knowledge for yourself but our Father wants everyone to make a choice to be either for Him or not. I am told you are not allowed to read the Bible. Catholic/Protestant religion teach a message about the messenger (Jesus) not what His message was. This is very sad. Bottom line...the devil is dancing BUT!!! This will not be forever.

I only mean well, please don't take offense. I don't apologize for my belief I just don't want you to think I mean any bad feelings.

sjk73, You have been told wrong that Catholics are not allowed to read the Bible. We are encouraged very strongly to read it, it is God's love letter to us all. Bishop Fulton Sheen
once very wisely said " There are not 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church. There are many web sites to get accurate info on the Catholic Church, I would highly recommend EWTN.com, Catholic Answers.com just to name a few. Praise be to God now and forever! All the very best to you sjk73 Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Quinny said:

I'm loathe to reply to this question, but I have seen at the top of the beauty banter list for the past 3 days in a row and I cannot believe it is still there.

This is not some magic trick or formula to help you find a misplaced piece of jewelry of the like. It is a prayer to St. Anthony for his intercession to God Almighty to help us in great times of need. Yes, you must be Roman Catholic. If you are not, there is no way you can understand the value of Saints in the Catholic faith, as Saints (if at all acknowledged) are not taught in the protestant faith as intercessors to the Father.

One must also have deep faith in the teachings of the Catholic church and understand completely the history of St. Anthony, who he was, why he is so important to Catholics and why this prayer, when seriously needed, can be of help.

This prayer is not referred to as "The St. Anthony Prayer" by Catholics and again is not a trick or something to be used lightly as when it is prayed, not only St. Anthony, but Christ our Lord is also invoked. If you believe and understand all of these things and are in serious need, the Prayer of St Anthony may be helpful to you since it is not only he, but also God who will come to your aid.

Let's hope this is the end of this question. There is nothing funny or entertaining about it and if one feels compelled to tell stories of their "success" with this prayer, they too are guilty of fraud against our Catholic faith.

You are wrong. Others use intercession of the saints. Not just Catholics. If this disturbs you, you know also that religion is not to be discussed in the forum. There's a good reason for that: if we fight over fashion, figures and finances, you can bet we'll fight over faith, too!

Respected Contributor

There's always one or two people who will come along and create controversy over a nice thread. And it's not ""loathe"" .... it's ""loath""

Esteemed Contributor

YES! Actually, a lady at the town hall did. I had just come back from there when I realized I no longer had my phone. So, called and they checked around - even outside - for me and no phone. The lady in the office said they'd pray to St. Anthony so I'd get my phone back. So, figured I'd try it too. Couple of days later - after driving in/out of the garage, lo and behold, a small item fell out of my grocery bag. When I bent down to get it ----- there's my cellphone ----- wedged under my front driver's side tire: and not smashed, scratched, dented!!!!!! just laying partially under the front tire. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a relatively heavy vehicle! So, guess I'll never figure it out!!!!! got my cellphone back and in perfect condition!!!!! I'd say, pray to St. Anthony!!!!!

Respected Contributor

No....but I say this prayer to St. Anthony just about every night.

O Holy St Anthony,reach down from heaven and take hold of my hand.

Assure me that I am not alone.
You are known to possess miraculous powers and to be ever ready to speak for those in trouble.

Loving and Gentle St. Anthony,reach down from heaven I implore you and assist me in my hour of need.
Obtain for meSmiley SadMention your request here)

Dearest St Anthony reach down from heaven and guide me with thy strength. Plead for me in my needs. And teach me to be humbly thankful as "you" were for all the bountiful blessings I am to receive.
In Jesus name we pray.

Amen

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

On 8/22/2014 sjk73 said:

Did you guys ever wonder where the rosary bead thing came from or how it got started? Check out some history books and you'll get a huge surprise. No one asks questions on belief they just go along. I'm not being negative, seriously.

No one should ever think they are not good enough to pray to God. That is why Jesus gave His life at calvary. Before He did we could NOT go go God in prayer. The high priest (Jewish) had to go in the Holy of Holies once a year to atone for the people and if God the Father accepted the priest's offering the priest was allowed to walk out with his life but if not, the priest was killed on the spot and they would have to drag his body out which was tied to a rope. NO ONE could enter the holy of holies because the Ark Of The Covenant was in there and NO ONE could touch it. God would accept the offering if the priest had his heart in the right place and all the physical laws must have been carried out to the letter. The rope which was tied around him was white, if he was killed it turned red. Catholicism is from ancient Babylon because it has Babylon's customs....Christmas, Easter and such. These customs are from there and if you don't believe me, check out your history books. Everyone should go to God the Father in Jesus Name in prayer. You guys should read the Bible, it's fascinating, honestly. I was astounded at what I read and learned and no one can take it from me. No one. I cherish it. I hope you guys find the path. It would make our Heavenly Father very happy.

Very well said!
Trusted Contributor

On 8/22/2014 sparklestar said:

There's always one or two people who will come along and create controversy over a nice thread. And it's not ""loathe"" .... it's ""loath""

loathe is a verb: disgust or strong aversion

loath is an adjective: unwilling or reluctant

I think you need a vocabulary book

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info., P. 8)

I've never used the prayer, but I might someday for any 'marbles' I may have lost. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Forever Grateful said:
On 8/22/2014 sjk73 said:

Since you asked, I know what you are referring to is Catholicism. I believe in what is written in the Hebrew or Christian/Judaic Bible. It says you NEVER pray to anyone but your Heavenly Father in Jesus's Name. Case closed. Never refer to anyone as "father" only God the Father or your earth father and even the earth father part is not found in the Bible. When you go to God in private, He will dispatch whomever He decides to help you. You/we don't decide that, He does.

Catholic religion does not want you to gain knowledge for yourself but our Father wants everyone to make a choice to be either for Him or not. I am told you are not allowed to read the Bible. Catholic/Protestant religion teach a message about the messenger (Jesus) not what His message was. This is very sad. Bottom line...the devil is dancing BUT!!! This will not be forever.

I only mean well, please don't take offense. I don't apologize for my belief I just don't want you to think I mean any bad feelings.

sjk73, You have been told wrong that Catholics are not allowed to read the Bible. We are encouraged very strongly to read it, it is God's love letter to us all. Bishop Fulton Sheen
once very wisely said " There are not 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church. There are many web sites to get accurate info on the Catholic Church, I would highly recommend EWTN.com, Catholic Answers.com just to name a few. Praise be to God now and forever! All the very best to you sjk73 Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Yes, many many years ago. Our car was stolen and after a month they found it-intact. All we needed was new brakes. I prayed to St. Anthony.

No, I don't think you have to be catholic to pray to saints. You can pray to whoever you want to. For many people, Prayer=comfort. I don't like rules in religion.

I hope you find your lost item.

Smiley Happy