Honored Contributor

Re: OT: Hormonal Anxiety Question

On 1/31/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 1/31/2014 geezerette said:
On 1/31/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 1/31/2014 geezerette said:

I always hesitate to respond to these types of threads, but having had lots of problems with PMS all my life and then menopause, I can relate. Speaking strictly for myself, I always try to tackle something like this on my own before I try doctors (who in my experience are quick to prescribe something with more side effects than the original problem).

For me, diet has played a huge, and I do mean HUGE, role in my emotions during these periods. And to a somewhat lesser extent, exercise. Eliminating sugar, grains, dairy and finding out anything else that my body reacts to has been truly remarkable. No junk food and as fresh from the garden as I can get. Taking time every day to exercise, preferably getting outside to walk also does wonders, especially if you go with others in the family (which does them good, too!).

I know that to many with the lifestyle most people lead today this sounds either unbearable or impossible, or both. And I will be the first to admit it isn't easy, it takes time to discover the right mix and then carry out, and is something that has to become a way of life, not something you can do for a week or two and quit after you feel better. Many choose the standard medical route immediately, have good results, and are completely satisfied. I just prefer to do what I can for myself first.

Regardless of what you decide, I hope you find something that works for you.

You are very fortunate to have the physical health and strength to follow such a healthy lifestyle. I can control my diet to a certain extent, except I can't have a garden and if I did, I wouldn't be able to maintain it. Also walking and exercising with severe RA and osteoporosis (ten broken vertebrae in my back) prohibits the physical aspects of your regimen for me and those like me. I need a walker and a wheelchair whenever I go out.

I have to do my food shopping online and my daughter picks it up for me. Since I only do that once a month I have to buy frozen vegetables and fish, as there is no way I can get to the store every day to get "fresh from the garden." I do not eat meat and am lactose intolerant, so I eat only lactose-free foods.

However, I am only on three meds. I have been prescribed almost twenty, but I do not take them. I have a high pain tolerance, so I just go with it rather than taking pain pills, bisphosphononates, biologics, statins, and antidepressants, all of which have been prescribed for me. My personal feeling is if I were to be taking all of these meds, I would be dead by now.

So again I say, you are very fortunate that you are so healthy and I envy you. I wish I could live that lifestyle. I would imagine that at age 76, I have a few decades on you. If not, then you are ten times as lucky as I thought you were.

Yes, Ford, I will be the first to admit that am I VERY lucky in a lot of ways. And you are indeed a little older than I, although by one decade only. But my husband is about your age and has had several health conditions for his lifetime and he is actually the one that started both of us on this healthier lifestyle some years ago. If he hadn't, I doubt either of us would be around today. And he is much more adamant about keeping up with a healthy regimen than I.

It sounds like you already are aware of keeping yourself healthy and are doing what you can. Even without access to a garden, having to eat packaged foods, you can make choices that are better for you than opting for sugar, fat and preservative laden foods, which it sounds like you are doing. And only taking prescription medication that you find absolutely necessary helps as well. You do what you can do.

The only reason I commented on this thread originally was because when I was having similar problems to the original poster, no one told me these things. I never dreamed I could affect my situation as dramatically as I did with simple lifestyle changes. As I'm sure everyone that has responded feels, I meant to offer my suggestions as a starting point for the original poster, not a sure-fire cure-all for everything. There are many things involved in staying healthy, as others have been posting as well.

Good luck to you, Ford.

Nice to meet you geezerette (your username belies your obvious youthful self, LOL). Thanks so much for responding and keep on being so healthy, both you and your husband. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Nice to meet you as well, Ford, and thank you for the kind words, although I fear you may be giving me too much credit. My motto is: "I can only do what I can only do!" lol

Like that old joke goes, "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!"

Honored Contributor

geezerette wrote:

Good luck to you, <em>Ford</em>.

Nice to meet you geezerette (your username belies your obvious youthful self, LOL). Thanks so much for responding and keep on being so healthy, both you and your husband. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Nice to meet you as well, Ford, and thank you for the kind words, although I fear you may be giving me too much credit. My motto is: "I can only do what I can only do!" lol

Like that old joke goes, "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!"

The fact that I am 76 blows my mind. My poor mother died at 49 (from smoking). Even though I never smoked, I still can't believe I lived past 55 or so. (I had a tough menopause.) Now I have my ills and disabilities, but I'm amazed that I'm still here!

My beloved sister would have lived a long life too, but she too smoked . . . from the time she was 12, and she died at 72. Imagine 60 years of smoking. She was a strong woman, she would definitely had outlived me had she not smoked. And she knew it too, that she was going to die from cancer (she had both colon and lung cancer). She knew it for many years, she just didn't care. She had her last cigarette one day before she went into the coma that took her two days later. I'll never get over it, ever.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Just saw new MD today and it looks promising...rather than quickly prescribe meds she wants to do the FULL thyroid and FULL hormonal and FULL blood sugar lab work. She didn't even bat an eye at my condition versus the last MD who I felt very judged by when she just snapped at me, " why won't you just take harder meds!"

I did try something new today and...until now....ha ha...fully unplugged myself! I am beginning to realize that those middle of the day texts or emails from my work on days off when I am with my kids don't help my worries out at all!! I really think there are probably many more life choices I make I should probably reconsider right now. For intance I tend to watch crime shows before bed....watch the news first thing in the morning, etc. And I am a pleaser...saying yes to wayyyy too much!!

Again, thank you ladies. It helps not to feel alone in this.

Respected Contributor

A couple of things that have REALLY made a huge diff. for me - Oceans 3 Hormone - it's a fish oil mix - See link & reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Oceans-Hormones-softgels/dp/B00280M11G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=139...

and - AdrenaScense - Here is another link from Amazon where you can see the product and the reviews. I was having ALL the same issues as you - even had to get a prescription to SLEEP and I have ALWAYS slept good my entire life. So frustrating.

Just wanted to share what helped me - Took about 7 days to notice a HUGE diff. but I did feel 80% better the next day after starting!

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Oceans-Hormones-softgels/dp/B00280M11G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=139...