Valued Contributor

Re: O/T opinion on husbands 50th birthday without me

Celebrate on a different day, before or after. I don't see it as such a big deal. 

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

we as a  family spent  all our birthdays together.  I know our son will feel left out knowing its dads birthday and we won't be going out as a family as usual. That's why i will take him somewhere. He loves family birthdays, going out to dinner and celebrating. 

Thanks for for your options.

But the thing is it's not your birthday and it's not your son's birthday. As others have said, there's nothing precluding you all from celebrating his birthday in another way or at another time. I suspect your son will do just fine and if he's disappointed, well, folks of all ages face disappointments. In the big scheme of things, this is probably going to be one he gets past easily, unless you send him a message that it's more than it really is...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

He's attending a sporting event with his daughter, not bar hopping with the guys. I wouldn't be insulted, he did ask you first and you said ok. Why not do something nice for him the day before or whatever other day you can be together as a family?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Wow, I thought someone would feel the way I do. I'm going to take my son to Mc Donald's and celebrate another day with all of us. After 20 years of sharing our birthdays together it's hard to change. I always encourage our daughter to hang with dad like I used to. I would not bring my disappointment up with him or would show it.

Honored Contributor

He checked with you and you said go ahead. Do you realize what a kind gift you gave him, and probably made his birthday wonderful. This takes away nothing from you or your son. Happy birthday to him, and many more, plan away.

Trusted Contributor

seriously, you're insulted? After 20 years of birthday celebrations? One cannot change the date of a hockey game, but one can certainly celebrate a birthday on a date different than the exact date. When families have get togethers for birthdays they often pick a date that works for all, not the exact date and kids birthday parties are often a date on a weekend when other kids can all come.

There must be something else going on for you to start a post about it and ask how everyone else feels. From the majority of opinions, no one else thinks it matters what day you celebrate. 

Tell him AND YOUR DAUGHTER to go and have fun and then plan another family day when you can all go somewhere to celebrate. 

BTW, if it was a wedding anniversary of importance and he went on an outing without you, well, then it might be a little hurtful, but his birthday should be spend doing what he likes to do. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

Birthdays are still a reason to celebrate in my family, especially the milestone b-days like 40, 50, 60, etc.

You need to get over thinking that you have to celebrate on THE actual day.  I had to do the same thing.

My DH turned 50 this year but I was out of town on the actual day.  He couldn't have cared less because b-days aren't a big deal to him.  A group of us ended up going out the following weekend and even though it was almost a week late, it was still a celebration for him.

Honored Contributor

I think the OP is making a big deal out of nothing. He asked you before he made his plans - it's not like he was being thoughtless.

Respected Contributor

He asked you ahead of time, you said it was O.K.  Why are you rethinking this?  It's his birthday not yours as others have said, he's out with his daughter, they both like hockey.  Celebrate as a family on another day.  I've been married for 37 years, my two children are 29 & 25.  I've only spent one birthday with my son since he went off to college 11 years ago.  I've survived.  My DH wanted to see a Yankee game for his 60th birthday, we went with another family who's husband was also turning 60.  DH turned 60 in March, the other DH in April, we went to the game in June, no big deal.  Our children are all grown and live in different areas, so we did it when we could all be together.  We had a wonderful time and I'll treasure the memory.   This is a great moment for you and your son to do something fun together too.  There's nothing to be disappointed about. 

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

When you love someone, every day is special. Being born on a certain date makes it no more and no less.

Besides, if he's going to enjoy it, what would you gain by making him feel bad because you and son (who doesn't like hockey), wouldn't be there?

Celebrate the next day or Halloween or on a day HE chooses!