Super Contributor

O/T opinion on husbands 50th birthday without me

My husband and daughter are going to a hockey game on my husbands 50th birthday. Our son and I are not going due to my physical limitations and our son doesn't enjoy the game. It's a night game so there will be no celebrating his birthday with myself or our son. He could of picked a different day, he did ask me if I would mind and I said no but  after thinking about it I feel insulted. I feel like he would want to celebrate his birthday with all of us.  So after work he and our daughter are going to the game. I will probably go somewhere with our 7 year old. 

How would you feel? If I told him it bothered me, he wouldn't go but wouldn't you think for yourself your leaving out 1/2 your family on a big birthday year?

He goes once a year with our daughter, it's a birthday present from his friend/ co worker.

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T opinion on husbands 50th birthday without me

@Beautiful life wrote:

My husband and daughter are going to a hockey game on my husbands 50th birthday. Our son and I are not going due to my physical limitations and our son doesn't enjoy the game. It's a night game so there will be no celebrating his birthday with myself or our son. He could of picked a different day, he did ask me if I would mind and I said no but  after thinking about it I feel insulted. I feel like he would want to celebrate his birthday with all of us.  So after work he and our daughter are going to the game. I will probably go somewhere with our 7 year old. 

How would you feel? If I told him it bothered me, he wouldn't go but wouldn't you think for yourself your leaving out 1/2 your family on a big birthday year?

He goes once a year with our daughter, it's a birthday present from his friend/ co worker.

He asked you and you said you didn't mind. Too late to change the plans now.

I would not be the least bit insulted.

Respected Contributor

I would be happy having him do what makes HIM happy, after all its his birthday. I think you are being kinda selfish really.

Sorry, you asked!!    Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

It would be different if it were MY birthday & he went somewhere without me. But since it's HIS birthday let him spend it doing something he enjoys. And he was considerate enough to ask you if it was ok. If you want to celebrate together have a birthday dinner and cake tomorrow. Don't be offended. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This wouldn't bother me at all. Why can't you plan a more inclusive celebration for another day?

I have never been a stickler for the exact date of something like birthdays or anniversaries. Anytime is fine for me for a celebration of something.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like the birthday means more to you than it does him.  He's going to a hockey game with one of his kids, making a special memory for the two of them.  Personally, I think it's great that a dad wants to do that.  I bet he's not looking at it as his birthday celebration, but just a night out with his daughter.  As another poster said, you can't be mad after you already said it wouldn't bother you.  That almost makes it sound as if you said OK as a way of testing him.  You can do a family thing on the weekend.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

I would be happy having him do what makes HIM happy, after all its his birthday. I think you are being kinda selfish really.

Sorry, you asked!!    Smiley Happy

I agree! If it makes him happy than swallow the hard feelings and be happy for him.

Trusted Contributor

I can relate a little, my husband has interests that are not mine, if he said he is going and its free, I would say GO! I love free tickets. I would have a family celebration the day before or on the weekend. Maybe you and him can celebrate when he gets home, WINK, WINK.

Super Contributor

we as a  family spent  all our birthdays together.  I know our son will feel left out knowing its dads birthday and we won't be going out as a family as usual. That's why i will take him somewhere. He loves family birthdays, going out to dinner and celebrating. 

Thanks for for your options.

Valued Contributor

I think you should suprise him with a cake on a different day. He will be surprised and everyone gets to celebrate. He will also love you for doing this. It's his birthday, it should be about him.