Respected Contributor

Re: O/T going for your first degree over the age of 40?

@PINKdogWOOD   Thank you, I will do that.  I can ONLY do on line, with my commute and my full time  job that almost always requires OT, I would not be able to "attend" school, I would need the flex to do it in the evenings and crunch more on the weekends so attending a school would not work for me, hoping I can find a on line school that provides this option.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD   Thank you, I will do that.  I can ONLY do on line, with my commute and my full time  job that almost always requires OT, I would not be able to "attend" school, I would need the flex to do it in the evenings and crunch more on the weekends so attending a school would not work for me, hoping I can find a on line school that provides this option.

My current degree program is online and the school is based in another state.  Get online and start researching your options.  Once you contact one of these schools, someone will be there to answer all your questions and offer you the world on a silver platter.  They want your check.  Ask as many questions as you can, then compare the programs and the costs.  Many of these programs offer one class at a time.  It's doable with the worst of schedules.  You can do this.  (Does your company provide tuition reimbursement?)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Education is a good thing.  Go for it!  I would encourage attending a community college followed by a state college/university.  Use caution about acquiring student loan debt.  I would stay away from for-profit schools, and  those that offer only online courses, which can be scams and not well-respected.  Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

I'm thinking of going to school PT while working to get my bach degree.

anyone else go back to school for a degree over 40?  I am not sure I am up for it but the competition is out there and I want to KEEP my job.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Please stop thinking about it and use that energy to do it !!!

As a former adjunct professor at a 4-year college, I can honestly tell you that you will bring a real life perspective, an energy (my class was from 6 to 9 PM) that WILL INSPIRE THE TRADITIONAL AGE STUDENTS, an serve as an example of excellence performance-- both in the classroom as well as any written / reading assignments.  

I was always amazed at the exciting sense of competition that older students caused among the young ones.  It was a fierce one but rather challenging them to perform to a raised bar. 

You our will be tired at the end of the day but you will have more confidence in your abilities that will go beyond the class subject.  That spirit will permeate everything that you touch whether or not you realize it.  It will sneak up on you and happen.  Others will notice the change.  Once it starts, you will become addicted to the excitement and possibilities.  Work, academic or business, becomes easier.

Please don't postpone success and happiness.  I have seen so many women recognize their potential and then do the work to achieve it:  you will become one of them.

The secret to success is PERSISTENCE.

Patience and good luck.

This is absolutely true.  I remember that lady from my college days to this day!! And meeting her was a life experience telling me that age is not important, attitude is!  I'll remember her and her attitude forever..... Woman Happy   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@cerb wrote:

Education is a good thing.  Go for it!  I would encourage attending a community college followed by a state college/university.  Use caution about acquiring student loan debt.  I would stay away from for-profit schools, and  those that offer only online courses, which can be scams and not well-respected.  Best wishes!

I used to have a similar opinion of for-profit schools until it occurred to me that all schools are for-profit.  Many of the brick and mortar schools -- the traditional colleges -- are adopting the online curriculum and they're assigning a lot of group projects.  The lines are blurring.  The stigma of the for-profit is fading.  Schools must adapt because the student population has changed.  People work full-time, have families, and live in areas where there are no traditional colleges.  Many of my coworkers are pursuing degrees and it doesn't matter if it's a for-profit or a state school: They are taking their classes online.  Distance learning has become a fact of life.  I work for a university and even they recommend for-profits over their own nursing program.  Driving long distances, searching for parking and sitting in a classroom for three hours at a time doesn't work for working students.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

You are ALL inspiring me, please, I am in TEARS reading the reply's, I seriously am readiing them in tears, I think I should do this, I think I can do this, I need to do this??!! You all are all an insiration to me, really...you have no idea....no idea what so ever, thank you for each and EVERY ONE that has replied, I appreciate it more than you know, life changing  Smiley Happy

Since you have held high profile jobs that required a degree but did not have one, you should talk with a career counselor at the school you want to attend.  There is a program that assesses what you have accomplished and gives you college credit for life experiences ( used to be called CLEP.  This will save you time in courses that you don't need to take as well as money. The time and $ saved can be used to move you forward with your other required courses.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

My current degree program is online and the school is based in another state.  Get online and start researching your options.  Once you contact one of these schools, someone will be there to answer all your questions and offer you the world on a silver platter.  They want your check.  Ask as many questions as you can, then compare the programs and the costs.  Many of these programs offer one class at a time.  It's doable with the worst of schedules.  You can do this.  (Does your company provide tuition reimbursement?)

It is wonderful you are going back to school. I would suggest your local community college. You can begin a program in-house or  online. If your have any problems, the school is there.

Respected Contributor

@jlkz  this is good to know, maybe I will just have to get a few course in and be on my way to my Associates, that would be nice.

Trusted Contributor

I was over 40, almost 50 when I finished my BS.  I had an associates but wanted to finish  up and I've never been sorry.  When I did lose my job during the recession I felt much more ready and able to find new employment, that degree gave me great self assurance and the confidence in myself that you need to move forward.  I still go to school and I'm not sure I'll ever stop.  It's great for networking and gives you a fresh perspective from other adults outside your friends, family, church, and employer. You will never ever be sorry, go for it!

Esteemed Contributor

In 2008 at the age of 72 I got my first degree.  I did it as a Hobbie to go back to school because I was retired, not for a job.  I graduated with honors, made the Dean,s list, gave the Graduation speech and received a scholarship.  THE TITLE OF MY SPEECH WAS, "NO AGE LIMIT".

You are never to old, unless you think you are too old.   

All the jobs I had did not require degrees nor a college education.  YET TODAY THEY DO.  I had on the job training.  From a MEDICAL BILLER for workers comp,to a Life and Disability Agent for METROPOLITAL AND JOHN HANCOCK INSURANCE companies.  I did have to pass a State Board after six months  learning on the job..  This was in the 60,s a man,s world.  I worked in two hospitals in the ER.  Two weeks training on the job.   

It,s tougher today.  You need a degree to peel potatoes.  JOKE.