Super Contributor

Re: O/T Where To Draw The Line For Tipping

When I lived in Southern CA, I tipped the UPS, FedEx and Mail people. Moved to Ohio in May and already tipped then all as of this afternoon. They all (in both states) have gone over and above hiding packages so they can't be seen from the road or the elements. They are always kind and pleasant and one went out of his way to thank me for my business. (UPS). Some may say that is their job, yes it is. God has blessed my DH and me in our retirement, and because we can do so, we will tip.

Super Contributor

I was just curious, ALOT of people say they tip the UPS driver because he brings the packages to the door and rings the bell. THAT is what they are suppose to do, they are NOT going over and above. Same with the trash guys, they do the service I ALREADY pay for (and get paid well) So I was just wondering why that justifies a tip? Alot of people do their service jobs and do not expect or get a tip, just curious as to why some are tipped and some not.

Super Contributor

Last yr, the owner of the nail salon I use gave her customers a gift. It was just a small bottle of cuticle oil but the thought was wonderful and unexpected, She thanked everyone as they left for their business and said without her customers, she would not be in business, so she wanted to thank us for helping her business grow. Such a nice gesture and she is correct, without customers, NONE of these service jobs would be around.

Respected Contributor

I would never tip the garbage truck people before (we pay a lot for pick up). But considering where we live and what they have to do to get to us - I think I probably should this year.

Super Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Deanie said:
On 12/9/2014 Madisson said:

It seems like our list gets longer every year. My husband and I tip our hairstylists, our cleaning lady, the lawn care man, the pool cleaner, the maitre d' at our favorite restaurant, the garbage man, the exterminator, the newspaper carrier, the dog groomer, and my manicurist. We give the USPS carrier, the Fed Ex person, and the UPS person a gas card each...even though they are not supposed to accept cash or gift cards. No one has ever refused it though. I know the list of people we tip is long, but it's only once a year.

Madisson, I am sure you did not mean to, however, you missed me. I read your posts therefore I should also be tipped. {#emotions_dlg.lol} Kidding...........

Sorry...it was an innocent slip. Here...catch...$$$$! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

On 12/9/2014 wowee said:

Last yr, the owner of the nail salon I use gave her customers a gift. It was just a small bottle of cuticle oil but the thought was wonderful and unexpected, She thanked everyone as they left for their business and said without her customers, she would not be in business, so she wanted to thank us for helping her business grow. Such a nice gesture and she is correct, without customers, NONE of these service jobs would be around.

That was very nice. It's the little niceties like that that keep the customers coming back.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 wowee said:

Our local nail salon puts a tree up during the Chinese New Year. It's beautifully decorated with fancy paper ornaments. Each one has a percentage off inside it, but you don't know what it is until you open it. Every customer is invited to take one. Also, they have a tray of all kinds of treats and tea out. I appreciate that! Smile

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 wowee said:

I was just curious, ALOT of people say they tip the UPS driver because he brings the packages to the door and rings the bell. THAT is what they are suppose to do, they are NOT going over and above. Same with the trash guys, they do the service I ALREADY pay for (and get paid well) So I was just wondering why that justifies a tip? Alot of people do their service jobs and do not expect or get a tip, just curious as to why some are tipped and some not.

Good points. I don't tip garbage personnel, UPS, Postman, etc. I give my gardener a small gift (he does nothing extra without charging), gift and extra tip at beauty salon. After reading here, I hesitate to take homemade food to any office, friend, etc.

Contributor

I tip my mail carrier (gift card) and my hair and nail people, that's it.

Contributor

You get what you give. There were years when I really could have used the money elsewhere, but I've always tipped during the holidays. They always remember.