Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Where To Draw The Line For Tipping

Back here in the sticks we do not tip anyone. Never see the trash people. Our mail carrier changes daily. We don't get a newspaper-DH says how do you tip your computer? Seriously our mail box, etc is 1/4 mile away so no one comes to the door unless they absolutely must. And then they complain.

On another note: DH will not eat any thing that is home made. He sees people every day suffering from some kind of food problems. We do not even eat at restaurant buffets. I think it would be better to give something prepackaged from the manufacturer or something non-food.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I don't tip the garbage people, the mail people, the UPS people, the bank, or the water delivery person. I don't bring gifts to the doctor or the dentist either. I would never bring anything homemade to them. They would probably throw it out.

I tip the girl who does my hair and waiters and waitresses.

Esteemed Contributor

USPS employees are not supposed to accept cash gifts. I can't confirm, but I think other city/county/federal service workers have the same rule. I don't know if UPS has a rule, but delivering packages is their job. I understand they work in all weather, the work can be strenuous, and driving in traffic all day (particularly in big cities) can be stressful, but they know this going in.

I'm on the side of no holiday tipping. I don't even extra tip or gift my hairdresser. She's tipped by me throughout the year, so why should I give extra just because it's Christmas. She doesn't offer me a free service to thank me for over 15 years of business just because it's Christmas.

Contributor

I am at work all day and never see my UPS guy, mail carrier or the sanitation people, so I couldn't tip them even if I wanted to do it. I usually get a small gift for my hair stylist, but that's about it. It is nice that you think of those people though and I am sure they appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

OP, those are overly generous gifts you are thinking of giving. $50 to the postman?? Keep all these incidental gifts at $20 or give a Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts gift card. Tipping at the bank is taking it too far.

I never see our postman or garbage collection people. Same goes for UPS or FedEx. If I go to the doctor or auto dealer for service around the holidays I will bring a box of holiday cookies or candy (purchased) as they take good care of me when I go there. I give a generous tip to my hair stylist for the same reason. That's it with the tipping.

Valued Contributor

I've been on these Boards for a long time now and every year I continue to be amazed by these tipping discussions. Specifically, the negativity. Although I don't personally tip, say, my UPS driver, what business is it of mine if someone, out of the goodness of their hearts, wants to? And has the ability to? I DO give a few special tips at the holidays (hair stylist and mailman, for instance)b/c I WANT to and I can. And because the holidays tends to be a convenient time to give a little extra thanks to those that have been especially kind, helpful, efficient, or understanding to my family and I throughout the year. No one is forcing anyone to do ANY of this. It should come from your heart and b/c YOU want to do it. If the media is making you feel extra pressure to do something you don't want to or CAN'T financially do, then turn off the TV and don't go to the malls. But please don't tell others what they should do with their money or desire to thank someone.
Super Contributor

No tipping here only in restaurants. We live on a fixed income because hubby has gotten three pay cuts the last three years.

Trusted Contributor

I thought you were not supposed to tip the postman, a federal employee. I never see my UPS guy. I do give to my gardener, cleaning lady, manicurist. I surely don't give anything to the doctor's office.

Honored Contributor

USPS many not technically be allowed to accept cash but they do. I know people who give them cash and they've never turned it down. My DH works for the city and they aren't allowed to accept cash either but they've had customers give them money for one thing or another and some of the guys have accepted it. My DH recently told a customer he couldn't take $50.00 and his foreman came along and took it.

I don't tip USPS, UPS, sanitation workers or other people getting paid to do their job. However, it's not really my business if others want to.

Respected Contributor

If the budget allows and you get enjoyment from tipping to these tipping, then, by all means continue this practice.

I, for one, do not tip any of the people you listed. Just doesn't come to mind.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown