Respected Contributor

O/T ~ Sending Birthday Cards...

Do you send birthday cards to friends that you never get a birthday card from? Or, kind of like Christmas cards, just to the people you receive a card from?

Just wondering what others do. Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T ~ Sending Birthday Cards...

I wouldn't send a card...but I would call and wish them a happy birthday instead.
Honored Contributor

i dont send birthday cards. i call them or send them a message via email or facebook.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I send Birthday cards to my friends but they also send cards to me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I love getting birthday cards and appreciate that someone takes the time to get a card, write a note, and put it in the mail. I send cards to friends whether they send me one or not. I just like sending them one. I think an email is inappropriate for a birthday wish.

We got far fewer Christmas cards this year and I think this is a trend. We got a lot of them computer-generated with no personal signature at all....sort of like the one from my insurance agent! I will not be sending as many this year.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I'm a life-long card and note sender. My mother was, too. But really I had a very close neighbor who was one of the most thoughtful people I've ever met. She remembered all the important dates in everyone's life. And she wasn't like this b/c she wanted or expected others to be the same. She just did it from her heart. I am this way in my life now, partly b/c of this woman. And sometimes, people close to me say things like, oh, thank you for the card, but I just am not good with remembering things, blah blah blah. I think sometimes ppl feel the need to tell me why they aren't like me in this way (siblings, primarily). And iim always taken aback by this. I remember ppl's important dates, I just do. And I like to acknowledge them. And I don't do it for a compliment (or an apology for NOT doing this). I just do it from my heart. A hand written note it card is a special thing, I think.Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I still send birthday cards even to some that do not know my birthday. If a friend mentions their birthdate, I note it and send a card. Getting less Christmas cards every year. People just stop sending. Also, so many have passed on.

Super Contributor

Sadly, I'm of the generation that does everything on facebook or via email/text. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I am really the only person among my friends who actually sends cards on special occasions, and I do this knowing full well that the gesture will not be reciprocated.

I find that most people around my age can't even be bothered to pick up the phone and actually call you to wish you a happy birthday, much less send a heartfelt card. I most often receive birthday wishes via text, because I don't do facebook.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to but now they seem either unwanted or unappreciated. When I didn't hear a thing in return I stopped.

Then ecards seemed to be the thing and that lasted for awhile. I stopped sending them when the last ecard I received was unsigned/no note.

I mean seriously? Who is that thoughtless?

Honored Contributor

I send birthday cards to just family members. I send Christmas cards to both friends and family members whether they reciprocate or not.