Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Is Christmas over yet?

I am tired of it every year. But now it gets earlier and earlier, too many commericals and ads, I like watching QVC but they start with gifts stuff much too much.

Thanksgiving is next week and its pre Black Friday sales ads are appearing. I love shopping but can we just do Thanksgiving first.

Is it as we get older, or something else.?

Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 sparklestar said:

Every year we have these kinds of threads and I don't get what the misery is. No one is being forced to participate. Just because you're surrounded by something does not mean you have to participate. It'll be over as soon as you know it -- so either enjoy it the way you want or don't.

I dislike the sports events but I just ignore it. super bowl, world series, etc. How much of this is talked about and is on TV day after day, night after night, weekend after weekend. Xmas is once a year.

I think it is because the ads and everything else starts earlier and earlier just rushing it, there really is plenty of time at the end of November to shop for Christmas.

Thats all, I see your point.

Valued Contributor

Christmas is the only redeeming thing about winter IMO. When it's over and the tree is gone it seem like it's a long haul till spring. Smiley Sad
Valued Contributor

I kinda wish it was over already.:/ The forced giving and shopping part, that is.
Respected Contributor

I love the holdiays but as I get older, I'm 60 now and have mild arthritis in my knee, so it takes me twice as long to do things. I used to enjoy cooking but I can't stand for long periods of time. There's so much to be done in a short amount of time. It would be nice not to see or hear Xmas music until the day after Thanksgving but that's not how it works now, so I just go with it as they say. My daughter gave me her Xmas list and I was able to get everything on-line. DH just wants a sweater, so I'll get that when I see a good sale. DS will give me his list. He'll just want a couple of items. Our parents are all gone, so there won't be any "family drama". Trying to make my DH's and my family happy wasn't fun, so actually for now, it's easier. My two children don't have SO's yet, so I don't have to share them, that day may come but when it does, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about like our familes did. It's not worth it. I feel fortunate that except for my knee, I'm in good health, so is DH and my children, so let the holidays come.

Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 sparklestar said:

Every year we have these kinds of threads and I don't get what the misery is. No one is being forced to participate. Just because you're surrounded by something does not mean you have to participate. It'll be over as soon as you know it -- so either enjoy it the way you want or don't.

I dislike the sports events but I just ignore it. super bowl, world series, etc. How much of this is talked about and is on TV day after day, night after night, weekend after weekend. Xmas is once a year.

The difference is that there isn't the gigantic push everywhere you go to buy "Sports", or even to watch, no Sports songs, no Sports decoration. You turn the TV off and the Sports go away. As wonderful as Christmas is, it's everywhere.... starting in July on QVC~! All Malls, main street USA, piped in music everywhere, all subtle and not so subtle "pushes" to buy, buy, buy. While it is a lovely time of year, and I love Christmas music... I really resent that it has virtually melded with Thanksgiving. The push to get the public out shopping ON THANKSGIVING DAY (and before the day) has really irked me. Thanksgiving is a Day of Thanks, and to me has spiritual overtones that need to be respected. I think that's what bothers me the most.... that Thanksgiving is just a bump in the road before Christmas. I mean it's like they're saying, "Why bother?" Just go out to eat on the way to Macy's..... {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

I completely agree with you Hyacinth. The shopping craze and shows start earlier every year. Burn out happens quickly anymore.

Trusted Contributor

HonnyBrown...you are right on! When I get overwhelmed with being blasted by Christmas (now, even before Halloween!), I take some time to think on what we are really waiting for on December 25th. We have spent 4 weeks in Advent preparing ourselves for love that has no price and light that has no end. I need that in my life to drown out some of the Christmas noise from all of the stores and television.

At the risk of sounding like an old blast from the past, I'm ONLY 56 yrs. old, I remember when Christmas preparations, shopping and music didn't start until the day after Thanksgiving. I don't remember anyone ever being in a panic about it, that day was just the time when it began. I couldn't believe when I walked into a Hobby Lobby store well BEFORE Halloween and trees were up and decorated, the shelves were stocked with Christmas ornaments and dinnerware of every kind, I was instantly "down".

IMO, when we start building up so early for one day, our expectations and those of our children spiral completely out of control and many children and adults end up feeling like "is that all there is?" come Christmas morning. When my children were young, I always ascribed to the old "WANT,READ WEAR, NEED." Those were the things they asked Santa to bring them and we almost never had a disappointed child come Christmas morning. I'm not saying that I was the best parent in the world or that we had the best Christmases ever at our house. I have to say, it gave us a lot more time to reflect on the season, do activites as a family and was much easier on my husband and especially me.

Respected Contributor

NO! With two grandchildren I would like to enjoy their holiday!! Thank you

Respected Contributor

I don't care what religion or your spiritual preferance... if there are no resources, for food, clothing and essentials around this time of year..the Christmas Holiday is worse..People can say "base it on the true meaning.." all they want but bottom line..it is what it is..gifts and most of all for the children..the anticipation..the magical time..and when you do not have the resources to meet those needs it is depressing.

I work with a population that is always the last thought of....etc..and they too have kids and it is a sad situation all the way around.

So we can all say learn the true meaning etc..but in reality when you have no funds..there is no amount of true meaning that will make that child's morning..realistic..yes!