Esteemed Contributor

Our family loved KW during Thanksgiving holiday one year. It was actually hot. We flew into Miami, rented a van and drove the highway. I think I would fly into Key West the next time. Go to TripAdvisor.com and type in location and resort. You'll find reviews there. Also think about renting mopeds. Delightful. Wear comfy walking shoes. We loved the Truman White House because that was Prez Truman's retreat. But we're from Missouri and he's a favorite son around my hometown. I heard there was a Carl Sandburg museum. Missed that but would like to go. Went to the Hemingway Mansion. Big mistake. Family allergic to cats and they were all over the place. Ha.

Yum on the key lime pie. We walked up to a place and ordered a slice. Diverse and safe -- there was one place I would avoid after dark. Ask local shop owners. Very friendly place. Yikes. Lots of shops.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Good advice on first riding the trolley around town. This will help you get your bearings. I forgot about that.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor
I love Key West although I admit it's been years since I've been down there. my daughter and I did a weekend trip and stayed at a bed and breakfast that bordered the Hemingway property and was right off Duval Street. We had a wonderful time
Contributor

Islamorada- my daughter was married at Cheeca and we really didn't need to drive anywhere, just enjoy the beautiful setting. Can walk to some local restaurants such as the Green Turtle, Pierres at Morada Bay.

Key West- a lot of fun, restaurants, bars, music with a huge variety of places to stay.

Respected Contributor

DH and I did Key West via the Key West ferry on an anniversary a few years ago. Stayed at the hotel by the cruise ship dock. Played tourist taking the "train ride" tour etc.. Walked Duval Street from west to east and back. If he's still there, make sure you catch the man with the trained cats on Mallory Square. Quite the show. Have fun.

Honored Contributor

We drove from Sarasota down to Key Largo and then all the way to Key West. It was many years ago, so I'm just giving impressions here. Key Largo was very friendly. We watched a Green Bay Packers game in a sports bar with a group of people called the Packer Backers. Jello shots and T shirts. The ride was marvelous, great weather and lots of cute little Key deer. Key West I was not too impressed with. Too touristy, meaning high priced shops, expensive bars and eats. Went to Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffet's, unless my memory is totally foggy here on the name and/or the owner) and it too was high priced and not friendly at all.

Honored Contributor

My mother lives in Tamarac near Ft. Lauderdale and when my old next door neighbor moved to the Keys I drove from mom's house last winter to visit her in Marathon (It's halfway between Key Largo & Key West). It was a 2 1/2-3 hour very easy drive.

Since I only visited my friend at her home I can't recommend a resort but the Keys are a lot of fun! We spent a day in Key West and had a great time! What a nice idea to do with your family...instead of stressing about holiday gifts this way you get to spend quality time together. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Valued Contributor

Here are a few things we enjoyed

1) Boat trip to the Dry Tortugas

2) Cemetery tour

3) Hemmingway House tour

4) Key lime pie on a stick

5) Lunch at BO Fish Wagon's---grouper sandwich

6) Sunset at Mallory Square of course

Trusted Contributor

GOSH - after reading these suggestions and reviews I would like to go myself

Honored Contributor

We spent two nights in Key Largo and then two in Key West about 15 or more years ago and also stopped there on a cruise 9 years.

Its a very busy town and staying out of the tourist areas is a great idea, parking down at Mallory Square is very limited and the sunset celebration while great can get very crowded.

I do remember we ate at "Kellys" which is owned by Kelly Mc Gillis and is in the old American Airlines office, fun night.

Take the Old Town trolly for a great view of the city

Also check weather before you go we were there in February and there was a cold front and it was 39 degrees one night we did not come prepared for that

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.