Super Contributor

I use Hot and Flashy's skin care routine for the most part. She uses the Olay Micro sculpting serum and night creme. I don't think they are working for me so I am looking to find another serum and night creme. I already use Retin A so I dont want anything with retinol. I am very new to the skin care game. I am 53, 40 year smoker with fine lines and some deep wrinkles. Thanks, Chris

Honored Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

I use Hot and Flashy's skin care routine for the most part. She uses the Olay Micro sculpting serum and night creme. I don't think they are working for me so I am looking to find another serum and night creme. I already use Retin A so I dont want anything with retinol. I am very new to the skin care game. I am 53, 40 year smoker with fine lines and some deep wrinkles. Thanks, Chris

Hi @ChrissyKR  you don't say if you want only drugstore type products or if you're open to others.  I use a few different serums, but if I could only choose one, it would be Skinn Age Reset.  It's a kind of a gel consistency and loaded with good ingredients (look for the video on the Evine website).  It's pricey when purchased alone on Evine or from the Skinn website.  Prices are much more affordable on eBay, but the best value comes when Dimitri James has his anniversary sales on Evine and puts together a nice kit that includes it.  At night, I like using Skinn Creme Reverse as my PM moisturizer.  My skin is pretty normal so I find that it's got enough moisture for me.  If you have smoker's lines around your lips, Skinn Stem Rejen for the lips should help that, but I don't think anything will completely correct them if you continue smoking.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am very pleased with the Dr. Denese skincare line. I use the wrinkle defense duo and a few drops of hydroshield serum at night. It really works for me1  

Contributor

Since you're using Retin-A, it should be doing the work for you.  If you need a moisturizer on top of that try CeraVe PM Lotion.

Respected Contributor

What's your skin type? I'm dry, and like oils mixed with either Honest healing balm or Paula's Choice moisturizer in the purple tube (forgot the name! Hers are always so long). Lately, I've really been liking Belif Moisture Bomb. They also have an Aqua Bomb cream, which is geared more toward normal-oily skin types, as it's more of a gel base. HTH!

Super Contributor

I will try to give more info...This is all new to me.

I don't know my skin type. I am pretty sure it has gone to the dry side with my age. I have large pores and slight red tint to it. I do get cystic acne occassionaly and I have dabbled in .1% Retin A for a long time but never really put any effort in it other than slap it on here and there over the years.

In January I decided I was looking a little old and haggard. I found Angie on Hot and Flashy pretty quickly and adopted her routine. I have done seven  @ home glycolic peels since January as well. I am starting to really see some results from all of this but I feel like the Olay serum and  night creme are not really adding anything and  for what they cost I could find something better for the same or a few more dollars. 

The same way with my eyes...She recommends whatever you use on your face goes on your eyes and I am wondering if perhaps I should be using a specific eye program instead.

Respected Contributor

You might need more moisture. Especially if you're using Retin-A. Speaking of which, I would get more consistent use of that, bc retinol can make a visible difference in your skin. Angie does give good advice and guidance, but it's great that you're realizing her exact program might not be the perfect fit for you. I agree with the other poster that recommended Cerave products. They are nice, quality affordable options, and easily available.

I'm sure other beauties here will be able to offer additional suggestions, and hopefully some that have some of the same issues, letting you know what's worked for them. Hope that helped a little!

Trusted Contributor

@ChrissyKR,

I know you want a quick recommendation for a new miracle wrinkle serum and night cream, but, honestly, I think you would be best served by reading Paula Begoun's new book, The Best Skin of Your Life Starts Here, $16.95, before purchasing more products that may not be the right ones for your skin issues.

Since you are still getting occasional cystic acne breakouts, the Olay Micro serum and cream are probably too heavy for your skin.

Anyway, the book explains skin care regimes for different skin types (and for acne, rosacea, anti-aging) and gives product recommendations at the end of the chapters, and no, they are not all Paula's Choice products, either.  It's a good starting point to help you determine what types of products to use to address your particular skin care issues.  This will save you time and money in the long run and help you tailor your own best skin care regime. 

There are so many products out there and so many miracle claims that it can be overwhelming.  Arm yourself with knowledge and you'll be better equipped to disregard the nonsense and zero in on the ingredients/products best for you.

Respected Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

I have dry mature skin and these products are great for me. I use the Olay microsculpture cream for night and the newer microsculpture cream(tall thin pump bottle) with SPF 30 for daytime.

I do have the matching serum but rarely use it although I am thinking of getting the swirl eye cream to use at night time along with these 2 products, will see.

I have tried so many high end products and always go back to OOO, just seems to work best for me and my dry mature and somewhat sensitive skin.

Before the microsculpture cream came out I used the regenerest serum day and night.

I always give a product at least 6 months before I decide although for some things will work quicker and for others it takes longer.

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone. I ordered the book and will give it a read and in the meantime I will start educating myself about the products.