Trusted Contributor

Re: Night Cream Users --- Some questions

I have always been told by my dermatologists that our skin heals at night so yes night time is best to use night cream.  Daytime also.   I hope you find a cream that suits you well and your skin.

Trusted Contributor

I believe you should cleanse, tone, moisturize every night, I also use an eye ointment.The routine in the morning is cleanse, tone, serum, spf day cream. I love Vit c capsules from Signature Club A but they can get expensive for me. I use 40 Carrots Vit c serum that I purchase at Marshalls for $5-$6 and I am very happy with this. I think you just need to find the right product for your skin, sometimes it takes a lot of trial an error.
Honored Contributor

Oh I honestly can't function unless I have body cream, face cream, eye cream on! I've been using creams since I was in my twenties (63 now) and I feel its really paid off! I never use face serums, hate the sticky feel. I just use my favorite (usually Clinique products) moisturizing night cream that well hydrates my skin and I can still feel that my face is soft and moist in the morning.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I am thanking you all for your input, tips and recommendations!  I am very torn about what to do????  I do not know whether my derm would be of any help to me on this subject or not?  I am concerned aboutmy skin and how it is changing and want it to look its best for my age.  It does not seem to have the tone, firmness, etc, it had.  Also, I have these little white bumps in addition to the few lines and broken caps.  I know a lot of it is the result of having fair, sensitive skin and aging.  I want to do what I can to prevent further damage.  I also moisturize and protect during the day.  So, I quess I will mull all the information over that I received here!  Thanks so much, everyone!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am thanking you all for your input, tips and recommendations!  I am very torn about what to do????  I do not know whether my derm would be of any help to me on this subject or not?   

@AngelPuppy1, if your dermatologist would not be of help, I'd highly recommend getting a derm that is of help. That's kind of their job! My derm has taught me a ton about skincare (what's fact-based science and what's marketing myth) and has always steered me to the exact products I need to keep my skin healthy and happy at every age. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 @wonderfulworld. I think I may be able to help. Firstly, I put all night time serums, Retin A, night moisturizers & eye cream on about 1/2 hr. before bedtime & let it all settle and soak in so doesn't end up on my pillow. 

Satin pillow case always for face & hair to slide across. Prevents wrinkles & hair breakage as well as pervering style to the morning vs. cotton cases which have no "slip". I purchase inexpensive zip on pillow covers at BB&B. I change them every other nite to keep skin/hair clean.

Night time routine: if skin is sensitive, ask your dermatologist about Retinol (a buffered Retin A). Both will build collagen & help w/ lines/wrinkles. At night is when your skin supposedly "rests" & perfect time for skincare...definitely an eye cream, moisturizer...if skin not particularly dry, you can use the same as day cream (if no SPF).

When applying any skincare day or night, remember that neck, chest and hands will show age also. Whatever goes on my face...especially SPF of at least 40....goes on all those places. Neck creams are BS. I haven't found one yet that's not just a thicker moisturizer and they do not have lifting/firming abilities...only a plastic surgeon can do that. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your detailed reply and tip about the pillow cases!

Trusted Contributor

I've had dry skin for as long as I can remember (65 now) but what I do now is wait a bit after my PM cleanse to see what's up with my skin. For the most part, I use Paula's Choice cleansers and her exfoliators (AHA for me). I use both her 5% & 8% AHA with the 10% once a week. Sometimes I feel as if I don't need a night cream & will forego its use; other times, my skin seems dry & will then use a night cream. Right now I'm using up a jar of Olay Regenerist but will probably buy one of her creams when I'm out.

Honored Contributor

Once i had to stop using retin a, the wrinkles showed up, looking for someplace to buy it with no subscription, i am looking so old .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 @wonderfulworld. I think I may be able to help. Firstly, I put all night time serums, Retin A, night moisturizers & eye cream on about 1/2 hr. before bedtime & let it all settle and soak in so doesn't end up on my pillow. 

Satin pillow case always for face & hair to slide across. Prevents wrinkles & hair breakage as well as pervering style to the morning vs. cotton cases which have no "slip". I purchase inexpensive zip on pillow covers at BB&B. I change them every other nite to keep skin/hair clean.

Night time routine: if skin is sensitive, ask your dermatologist about Retinol (a buffered Retin A). Both will build collagen & help w/ lines/wrinkles. At night is when your skin supposedly "rests" & perfect time for skincare...definitely an eye cream, moisturizer...if skin not particularly dry, you can use the same as day cream (if no SPF).

When applying any skincare day or night, remember that neck, chest and hands will show age also. Whatever goes on my face...especially SPF of at least 40....goes on all those places. Neck creams are BS. I haven't found one yet that's not just a thicker moisturizer and they do not have lifting/firming abilities...only a plastic surgeon can do that. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your detailed reply and tip about the pillow cases!

@wonderfulworld

I don't remember if I did reply to your post, if not I am thanking you.  You really have your suystem down.  Good advice!

Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

I've had dry skin for as long as I can remember (65 now) but what I do now is wait a bit after my PM cleanse to see what's up with my skin. For the most part, I use Paula's Choice cleansers and her exfoliators (AHA for me). I use both her 5% & 8% AHA with the 10% once a week. Sometimes I feel as if I don't need a night cream & will forego its use; other times, my skin seems dry & will then use a night cream. Right now I'm using up a jar of Olay Regenerist but will probably buy one of her creams when I'm out.

@joannecha

Thank you for your post!  I have used some Olay products and like them, too!