Honored Contributor

Night Cream Users --- Some questions

I have never used a night cream, nor do I use any type of moisturizer at night.  I always felt like I wanted to let my skin be clean and free of products during the night.

But now that I am older -- almost 65 -- I wonder if I am doing a disservice to my skin?

I do have some issues now but always had really good skin for the most part.

Does everyone here feel night cream is essential?  If so, do you use it all over or just on areas that you feel are more dry?  Or, do you simply use your regular moisturizer at night after cleansing?

I don't have either oily or dry skin.  But I do have very sensitive skin with rosacea -- slight redness and some broken caps on the cheeks and chin.  I cannot use products with fragrance and find that I cannot seem to use exfoliating products as they cause my skin to get upset, irritated and just light up!

I have a few lines under the eyes, around the nose and above the lips and the "11s" between the brows!  

One problem I do have is, if I use a moisturizer that seems to be too rich or heavy, I will still break out.  So this is I think another reason why I have been hesitant to use a night cream.

I am interested in you thoughts on this subject!  Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Night Cream Users --- Some questions

My problem is that when I apply anything at night my face feels tacky against my pillow.

Serums are ok but not creams.

I have no problems with breakouts. I think that unless you want to try something with retinol (and I can't use it) that I am not sure if there is any real benefit. Eye creams do nothing for me and night creams moisturize but that is all. 

When I use it I apply after cleaning with purity and then microdelivery wash (both by philosophy). I apply to my cheeks and neck. If I put anything near my eyes it migrates into my eyes at night and my eyes are irritated by it.

I have normal, sensitive skin.

I am interested in other replies too. 

Respected Contributor

If you google the topic you will find tons of articles about night moisturizers and which type you might want to try. I find a difference in my skin when I use a night moisturizer as compared to when I get "lazy" and don't use one. My skin looks so much better in the morning. I use Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair under my moisturizer and find the combination good for me. 

Trusted Contributor

There is no one solution. Bear in mind that the cosmetic industry makes millions marketing creams to women, and most of what you hear is marketing hype. The industry is not tightly regulated and they present lots of studies that say things like 90% of women thought their skin was more hydrated after using our product. These types of studies have no scientific basis. There is nothing that will get rid of wrinkles. "Minimize the appearance of" is not the same thing.

At almost 60, my skin is no longer oily, but I still have blackheads and clogged pores. I've been using plain argan oil or Boissance squalane on my face at night. Both are oily, so I apply enough before bedtime to allow them to sink in. I can't say for sure this is helping, but figure it can't hurt. I've decided to stay away from products with long ingredient lists and silicones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use serums and night moisterizers as my 62 year old skin is very dry year round. I do have very nice skin, very few lines/wrinkles. One thing I do is use my clarisonic at night so that the skincare can really get into my skin. And I have somewhat sensitive skin too. no redness or blemishes. I cocktail a few oils together which adds moisture. Try Eucerna or Cerave ---they are what alot of derm drs like and they are in the drugstore. All those are very light texture and are non comenogenic too---oh my gosh--if any of those last few words are the right spelling I'll be amazed. and really if it ain't broken, don't fix it!!!

angel pup---I LOVE your Steve Martin quote---makes me smile when I read it!!!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 @wonderfulworld. I think I may be able to help. Firstly, I put all night time serums, Retin A, night moisturizers & eye cream on about 1/2 hr. before bedtime & let it all settle and soak in so doesn't end up on my pillow. 

Satin pillow case always for face & hair to slide across. Prevents wrinkles & hair breakage as well as pervering style to the morning vs. cotton cases which have no "slip". I purchase inexpensive zip on pillow covers at BB&B. I change them every other nite to keep skin/hair clean.

Night time routine: if skin is sensitive, ask your dermatologist about Retinol (a buffered Retin A). Both will build collagen & help w/ lines/wrinkles. At night is when your skin supposedly "rests" & perfect time for skincare...definitely an eye cream, moisturizer...if skin not particularly dry, you can use the same as day cream (if no SPF).

When applying any skincare day or night, remember that neck, chest and hands will show age also. Whatever goes on my face...especially SPF of at least 40....goes on all those places. Neck creams are BS. I haven't found one yet that's not just a thicker moisturizer and they do not have lifting/firming abilities...only a plastic surgeon can do that. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@Dorothy11. IMO, blocked pores and blackheads may be caused by the argan oil, etc. I'd try a deep pore cleasner and/or masque and stop the oils for a few wks. to see if oils are the culprit. It seems any oil would be the worse thing to put on clogged pores and "allow to sink in".

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,  My skin can be on the sensitive side and I use Marula oil at bedtime on my face & neck.  It's good for redness and balanced my skin to a constant normal even in very cold weather.  I use Acure Organics Marula oil.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have no wrinkles (in my early sixties) but a minimum of fine lines that I can only see with a 10X power mirror. I just started using night cream for moisturization only. I don't believe in false promises in skin care and my skin is too sensitive for AHA's and retin A. 

I use Cetaphil Night Moisturizer....redness prone skin. It doesn't give me clogged pores or breakouts and is fragrance free. When I wake up in the morning my skin looks hydrated and dewy with no breakouts or redness.

I tried many night creams over the years.....including Paula's Choice, Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, Bobbi Brown and the list goes on. I didn't like any of them and they did nothing for my skin except either break me out or make me red.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  Where did you find Marula Oil?  My hairdresser recommended it for my curly hair. She said to apply it to wet hair for less frizz and heat protection if I dry with diffuser.