Esteemed Contributor

Re: Night Cream Users --- Some questions

AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Trixx wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, I would try to keep things simple.  There's no reason to start trying to be loyal to an extensive multi-step regimen at this stage in your life.  Contrary to the opinion of others I think you may fair very well with a simple cleanser and an oil at night .  My skin is oily and I always use an oil at night.   Many people who experience problems with oil are often using too much product.  Apply a couple drops to your face immediately after cleansing and it should absorb enough not to feel tacky.  

My favorite oil is Josie Maran Argan Oil, but there are many fine oils-- at a variety of price points--  available today since using oil is so hot in skincare again.  If you are interested in researching what different oils are supposed to do for the skin check out the Shea Terra brand website.  It's very descriptive on the properties of each oil they sell.  Their oils are also excellent quality and very reasonably priced.  I like their Dattier du Desert Oil (derived from date trees and balanite plants), Yangu, and Rose Hips oils very much. 

@Trixx

I will check this website out!  It seems counter-intuitive to use oil on oily skin!  I am afraid that if I use an oil I will really break out.  I can't seem to get this concept out of my head!  I want to try it but I am leary!  Thank you!  I do intend to read up on this though.  

@AngelPuppy1, I know it sounds like using an oil-based  skincare product wil not be right for an oily skin, but with regard to oil being ok for oily think of the old expression.. oil and water don't mix.  The first dermatologist I ever saw back in 1970 steered me to oil.  My skin was at that time teen, highly hormonal, oily and acneic.  When I expressed interest in the then "new" brand called Clinique, the product he said I must get was one called cleansing oil which Clinique sold as part of the regimen for skin types III and IV (the oily to oiliest).  After Clinique discontinued that product, I remained comfortable using products which contained oil. The oil-free craze hit the cosmetic world in the 80s, and it became difficult to find products oil based, or products with any oil content. With no internet for searching things out, I too got away from having an oil in my regimen.  My skin never looked worse.

I was delighted when in the 1990s L'Occitane came out with their Olive Harvest line (it's a shame L'Occitane hasn't resurrected this line since oil skincare is hot). DHC was another brand which came to the USA and that brand is built around olive oil.  My skin shaped up fast, and although I was into my 40s (in the 90s), my skin was looking better than ever before.  With this new amazing variety of oils on the market my now 60+ yr. old face is glowing!

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, I would try to keep things simple.  There's no reason to start trying to be loyal to an extensive multi-step regimen at this stage in your life.  Contrary to the opinion of others I think you may fair very well with a simple cleanser and an oil at night .  My skin is oily and I always use an oil at night.   Many people who experience problems with oil are often using too much product.  Apply a couple drops to your face immediately after cleansing and it should absorb enough not to feel tacky.  

My favorite oil is Josie Maran Argan Oil, but there are many fine oils-- at a variety of price points--  available today since using oil is so hot in skincare again.  If you are interested in researching what different oils are supposed to do for the skin check out the Shea Terra brand website.  It's very descriptive on the properties of each oil they sell.  Their oils are also excellent quality and very reasonably priced.  I like their Dattier du Desert Oil (derived from date trees and balanite plants), Yangu, and Rose Hips oils very much. 

@Trix

I will check this website out!  It seems counter-intuitive to use oil on oily skin!  I am afraid that if I use an oil I will really break out.  I can't seem to get this concept out of my head!  I want to try it but I am leary!  Thank you!  I do intend to read up on this though.  

@AngelPuppy1, I know it sounds like using an oil-based  skincare product wil not be right for an oily skin, but with regard to oil being ok for oily think of the old expression.. oil and water don't mix.  The first dermatologist I ever saw back in 1970 steered me to oil.  My skin was at that time teen, highly hormonal, oily and acneic.  When I expressed interest in the then "new" brand called Clinique, the product he said I must get was one called cleansing oil which Clinique sold as part of the regimen for skin types III and IV (the oily to oiliest).  After Clinique discontinued that product, I remained comfortable using products which contained oil. The oil-free craze hit the cosmetic world in the 80s, and it became difficult to find products oil based, or products with any oil content. With no internet for searching things out, I too got away from having an oil in my regimen.  My skin never looked worse.

I was delighted when in the 1990s L'Occitane came out with their Olive Harvest line (it's a shame L'Occitane hasn't resurrected this line since oil skincare is hot). DHC was another brand which came to the USA and that brand is built around olive oil.  My skin shaped up fast, and although I was into my 40s (in the 90s), my skin was looking better than ever before.  With this new amazing variety of oils on the market my now 60+ yr. old face is glowing!

@Trix

The way you describe it, it makes perfect sense.  I am very afraid of any changes.   I want to but.... I have decided though to see a derm next week and have very concerns and  I will see if I get any answers to some of them!  Thanks for your very generous posting! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I make sure my skin has all makeup removed before applying any moisturizer. This involves using either a cleanser such as micellar water, then toner to remove what was not removed by the micellar water.

I found that the Lancôme Bien Fait moisturizer of which I has a sample was too oily for me, it would have been great if I had dry skin. I have normal skin and had oily skin as a teen into 20's. I use the Lancôme Absolue Premium BX on my face at night along with its coordinating eye cream. I do not apply the eye cream to my lids, just below the brows and under the eyes. 

Once I have used up these Absolue products, I am switching to Lancôme Renergie as these work equally as well on me and are slightly cheaper than the Absolue line.

Jazzmom, Since you mentioned the Renergie line...I have to say Renergie foundation makes my skin look absolutely amazing!!  However,   I dont use the creams.   I also  bought  the Renergie foundation for one of my daughters , and she's loving it too!!  

Honored Contributor

Since I had so many nice replies to my post, I wanted to post a follow-up.  I had a derm appointment a couple days ago.  More disappointment!!!  I have had Rosacea for some time and continue to use the Metrogel once a day.  She told me to continue to use this.  I asked her about some of my other concerns such as the white bumps on my skin --- milia, clogged pores???  And also my general over-all dissatisfaction with the appearance of my skin and what I could do or use to help it.  She said due to the fact that my skin is so paper thin, so fair, sensitive and reactive that she would not recommend my using anything such as Retin A, etc.  I have many of the white bumps and she said if I wanted to try and extract them myself, I could, but she wouldn't recommend it.  So -- in any other words --- just live with it all.  I did ask her about laser treament for the broken caps, a brown spot on my cheek, etc.  She said that this could be done, but it's rather costly and since it is cosmetic and not medically necessary, insurance would not pay --- which I knew!  She said just stick with what I am doing as she felt that my skin overall is in good condition for my age.  She said since I am prone to getting upsets and irritations, that less is more!  So ---- I am back to square one!!!  

Anyone here use laser treatment on your face for redness, broken caps, etc?  If so, were you satisfied?  Does it last?  

Thanks for your interest and your replies! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I have always used a cream at night because I have such dry skin. However, I also would feel like my morning my pillowcase had more cream on it than my face did. I started using Tatcha Overnight Memory Serum which is pricey. However, my skin absorbs it very well and in the morning my skin is very soft and dewy. I just know that I could never ever go without some kind of moisture on my face anytime of the day or night.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor. I try to find a moisturizer for dry skin that's not too heavy & then cleanse my face, do serum, Retin A or moisturizer (alternate nights) & eye cream at least 1/2 hr. before bedtime. It gives everything a chance to settle in and I find it doesn't end up on my pillowcase (or my hair & make it greasy).