Trusted Contributor

Re: Niacinamide serum for large pores

@Ainhisg I buy mine from Amazon because I'm a Prime member, but they would probably ship to you for free from their site if you call them.  They are funny that way.  They always send me coupons and free trial items now that I've purchased from them (not free exactly, but they ask me to pay $1-2 and I can choose the items I want to review). 

My my skin is very sensitive and even though this serum shoes Rosemary oil, I cannot detect this smell at all as it comtains no scent at all and no fillers (other than glycerin).

like I said, I did also purchase a 16-ounce bottle from Essentials for $20 at the time, but I can't really recommend that because it is too much serum for one person to use before it expires.  I'd just pay the $15 on Amazon next time.

Oh, and I use and recommend their Rosehip and Argan oil.  Great prices for large bottles.

Trusted Contributor

@BostonMom 59 wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

The Ordinaries line, by Deciem. I've only been using for a week or so, every other day, mixed with a Retinoid, so I can't attest to the effectiveness of it. 10% Niacinimide + 1% Zinc for $6. Their site lists contraindications, as well as a formula finder, to see if it might work for you. It might be worth looking into. HTH!

WOW! I was on the verge of ordering the Paula's Choice niacinamide with a 20% off coupon until I saw this post. Paula's product is $42 for .67 oz ($33.60 with coupon). The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% ins 30 ml (1.01442 oz) for 5.90! I also looked at the contraindications chart on the Deciem site and it says not to use this product at the same time as topical vitamin C (suggesting to use one AM and one PM if you use both) and on the ingredient list for the PC product, Ascorbyl Glucoside (vitamin C/antioxidant) is the 4th ingredient listed. Really makes me curious!

I have a friend who's a chemist whom I had not seen in many years that I just ran into last night. I am going to send her a message asking about this situation and will share when I get an answer.

I have larger pores on my nose thanks to rosacea so I'm interested in trying niacinamide without all the perfume found in Olay products.

I'm intrigued too!   These ingredients are not very costly, and we know cosmetics and skin care have some of the highest markups possible.  When I see these low prices, I do want to make sure the actives are there, but I know from using my (relatively inexpensive) Paulas Choice and Instanatural that you don't need to pay a lot for high quality.  This brand Deciem is even cheaper and worth checking out IMO.

Respected Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Ainhisg I buy mine from Amazon because I'm a Prime member, but they would probably ship to you for free from their site if you call them.  They are funny that way.  They always send me coupons and free trial items now that I've purchased from them (not free exactly, but they ask me to pay $1-2 and I can choose the items I want to review). 

My my skin is very sensitive and even though this serum shoes Rosemary oil, I cannot detect this smell at all as it comtains no scent at all and no fillers (other than glycerin).

like I said, I did also purchase a 16-ounce bottle from Essentials for $20 at the time, but I can't really recommend that because it is too much serum for one person to use before it expires.  I'd just pay the $15 on Amazon next time.

Oh, and I use and recommend their Rosehip and Argan oil.  Great prices for large bottles.

@Mrsq2022, I'm an Amazon Prime member, too, so that is the way I would order.

Respected Contributor

@BostonMom 59, please give us an update about what your chemist friend says about all this when you get a chance.  Thank you!  I am so glad I started this thread!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did I have someone mention large pores?  I had pores the size of the Grand Canyon.  Yepper, they WERE very large.  I started using Gycolic Acid years ago (had to get it at the time at a vitamin/health food store).

Then, when Dr. Denese came on QVC since the first time I started using the pads and Hydroshield every day and 2 to 3 times a week I use Philosophy Sea Salt Scrub in the shower.

I no longer have large pores.  People don't believe I'm 70 years old this year.  I'm not saying I'm pretty, I'm saying I don't have dark age marks or wrinkles.  Some is heredity, some using the G Acid for a long time, some is staying out of the sun, but I'm convinced using those pads and the Hydroshield has made a lot of difference.  

I still have some issues around the nose area.  It's not bad but I think it's noticeable.

I recommend people give some or all of these things a try, it/they sure have worked for me.

I think the lack of age spots makes a lot of difference.  Think of a young person and how even their skin is.

I forgot to say that I think a person can probably find the gycolic acid in pads cheaper but I do personally like the Hydroshield.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, thank you for your detailed response! I am going to go see what the hydroshield is. I am currently using Paula's choice weekly 10% AHA treatment and serious skin care's glycolic 5.5% daily pads. I have treated my skin horribly over the years...no one used sunscreen "back then"...and then with oily skin, I didn't seem to have a lot of issues. Then Meno hit, and my skin is so foreign to me now. I know I can't reverse some of my non-care, but I can sure do a better job at maintenance going forward!

Regular Contributor

I wouldn't waste money on the PC version. I have been using it day and night since it came out and my giant pores are still as big as ever. I bought two bottles of the PC booster but will not repurchase when it runs out.

Respected Contributor

@MissSugarKane wrote:

I wouldn't waste money on the PC version. I have been using it day and night since it came out and my giant pores are still as big as ever. I bought two bottles of the PC booster but will not repurchase when it runs out.

Thank you for your opinion of the PC product!  Seems like reviews were good or bad on it...no middle ground.  I ended up ordering The Ordinaries 10% Niacinamide.  It was only $6, so if it doesn't work, it's not like it's $42 wasted.  Interestingly enough, the Ordinary niacinamide said nothing of reducing pore size:  "Niacinamide and Zinc PCA reduce the look of blemishes and balance visible sebum activity."  I guess balancing the sebum would effect the pores.  We will see.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg Don't be so hard on yourself.  Here's what I would do if  you have the money.  If you go to a dermatologist insurance usually pays if you go to get checked for skin cancer (check with yours).  Then when you go ask the derm what they recommend.

Here's some information of different kinds of getting your skin to look better:

https://www.realself.com/question/whats-best-laser-skin-resurfacing

More information:http://www.allure.com/story/how-laser-treatments-fix-skin-problems

This is more specifically for large pores and sun spots, etc.https://www.realself.com/laser-resurfacing/answers/large-pores

http://best-natural-facelift-without-surgery.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-remove-dark-spots-on-face.h...

There is a lot of information out there (way too much).  I think often people just buy and buy stuff that doesn't do much.  If they added up all of the money spent on other products (they aren't cheap) the could just get a few treatments with a dermatologist.  

It's just an idea.  I'm not any different.  I turn 70 soon and I've spent tons of money over the years to loose weight and here I am chubby still.  

There are people here who know a lot more than I do about stuff like this.  I am just saying don't rule out first going to a dermatologist (at least get a professional opinion).  It might not be as bad as YOU think it is.  

Please come back and let us know what you decided to do and your results.  There are people on here who have had many procedures done and they can probably advise you (if they are honest about what they've had done, some don't like talking about it).

Just be careful you don't damage your skin.  That's why I'd recommend going to a dermatologist FIRST, then proceed.

So, to repeat.  I'd check with my insurance company and see if they allow one visit to get checked out for skin cancer (most people I know go every year or few years, I do and insurance pays all or part of the visit).  Let the Dr tell you about your skin rather than spending a lot of money on this and that first.

My youngest daughter is 36.  She moved to Denver (I think) 3 years ago.  She had beautiful skin before that but didn't give it a lot of thought.  Then she decided to go for a skin cancer check.  The dermatologist told her she had a lot of sun damage (did you know Colorado has an average of 300 days of sun a year?)  She flipped out (called me crying).  I now send her the Dr. Denese products I told you about (costs me a chunk of money, but what are mom's for?  Ha).

She went back and the Dr told her "it was a real improvement and asked what she'd been using".  The Dr said to keep doing it.  In all fairness in our family all of the females look way younger than they are.  She said a guy at work recently told her he'd like to fix her up with a friend but thought she was too young.  She said, "How old is this guy?  How old do you think I am"?  He said, "This guy is 37 and would seem like a 'old man to you".  He said, "I figure you're around 19".  She said, "Thanks but I'm 36 and I'd like to meet him".  Ha!  My 43 year old daughter still gets carded to drink.  

I only tell you this because I think women are too hard on themselves about looks and aging.  When was the last time a guy gave it as much thought as women do?

I think in my family we don't have as much facial expressions as some people.  It would make sense, right?

Take care and let us know how you do.  I hope others who are much smarter than I am help you with some responses.  Take care and stop worrying.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg I forgot to tell you something.  Recently I was going through all of the tons (tubs, yes, tubs) of stuff I've bought (with me it was mostly makeup) and I found some old Dr. Denese Vitamin C pads.  I didn't use them (too lazy, I guess).

But it made me think maybe there's something in Vitamin C that gets off dead skin layers.  Look into it and see how much skin you shed every day.  That's the biggest thing get the ded skin off every day.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/389162-how-to-remove-age-spots-with-vitamin-c/

Look at this, it's interesting anyway:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Does+Vitamin+C+pads+on+...