Super Contributor

Need shampoo/conditioner recs for shiny hair

My hair is looking dull. I'm looking for shampoo/conditioner that will leave me with shiny, healthy looking hair, but isn't too greasy or will weigh my hair down. Looking for non-Wen recommendations. Any price point. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: Need shampoo/conditioner recs for shiny hair

[ Edited ]

IMO - and I do have healthy, shiny white hair - there is no product to put on hair or wash hair with to make it shiny. HEALTHY hair is shiny and healthy hair comes from not using excessive amounts of chemicals and products on your hair. Coloring , perming, bleaching and using tons of products will quickly damage hair.  So , that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I also think that once hair is damaged there is nothing that will rfeally fix it- you just have to stop doing whatever you are doing that is damaging it and let it grow out.

Contributor

A330393
Drybar Happy Hour Blowout Shampoo, 8.5 oz
4 out of 5
2 reviews
Respected Contributor

I used to use a sulfate-free shampoo for colored hair. My hair was dull, dry, and awful. Finally, one night when I was in a hotel, I just grabbed the free hotel shampoo and used that. (It was one from Bed, Bath, & Bodyworks.) The next morning, all of a sudden, my hair came to life. It was shiny, bouncy, and not all dried out anymore. My husband actually asked me what I did differently to make my hair look that way. That was the end of sulfate-free shampoos for me.

I asked my hair stylist about it at my next appointment. She told me that sulfate-free shampoos prevent color loss, but strip the life out of your hair. I would rather color my hair more often, then have my hair in poor condition. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

I find that putting Moroccan oil on my hair while it is still wet, really has given me my shine back. I read  that using it on wet hair allows it to penetrate better than if the hair were already dried. None of the other conditioners I use do that. I use a brand of oil my hairdresser sells.

Honored Contributor

I've never found a shampoo that has made my hair more shiny. For me this takes an addition of a styling product like a leave-in conditioner, shine-enhancement product or a long term glaze product. I like the glaze because one treatment lasts about a month on my hair.

Honored Contributor

You have to realize that hair is NOT a living thing. Once it becomes damaged there is no way for your body to heal it. Damaged is forever until it is cut off.Hair does not receive any sort of nutrition from your body, nor does the body repair it if it is damaged. For this reason, if you want healthy looking hair - you have to not do any damage to it. Also, a healthy body will grow healthy hair and a none healthy body will not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've never found a shampoo that has made my hair more shiny. For me this takes an addition of a styling product like a leave-in conditioner, shine-enhancement product or a long term glaze product. I like the glaze because one treatment lasts about a month on my hair.

I agree. I would go with a glaze or glossing treatment. I've never found a shampoo or conditioner that had made hair shinier, despite claims made in advertisements.

Honored Contributor

If you have dry, damaged and dull hair the only thing to do to make it look healthy is to coat it with something. Analogy to this would be like a dried out old piece if furniture. The wood needs to be restored by putting a top-coat of something on it to make it look new again. Hair is a dead thing... similar, but not alike, to a piece of wood. Not saying hair is wood, just that they are both dead things.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StillRachB,    If you natural, shiny hair, try Josie's hair serum.  All you need is one drop and rub between your hands and run through hair but if your hair is long repeat the process.  I love it and it smells wonderful. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength