Respected Contributor

Need recs for Pilates Reformer Books/DVDs

My friend gave me her new and unused Aeropilates 4500JP, a 3 cord pilates reformer.  I'm looking for workout dvds and/or books with exercises to use with it.  Thanks for the help!

I originally posted this on the Wellness forum and have gotten no feedback, so I know that many of you have pilates reformers and know your stuff!  I bought the stand for it to elevate it for a few reasons but the main is for my knee issue, dislocating knee cap about everytime I bend it.  I've gained way too much weight since my fibromyalgia flared spring of 08', gained about 120 pounds, but am still a size 20/2XL at 200lbs as I am at 299, so there that is.  I've got to get back in shape for flexibility sake if not for safety of workin in a prison and get back down to my 170 range.  I've been using a recumbent bike and not really making a difference in my weight.  I did ballet in college and miss being comfortable in my own skin.  I'm 5'8" and need to get my curves back.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need recs for Pilates Reformer Books/DVDs

Have you looked here at QVC for DVDs?

Respected Contributor

Yes. The DVDs appear to be all level 2 and 3. I feel I need a good beginning starting point and one level up for now. Until I get back into the swing of things, especially with my knee, I want to start like someone that has never been on one before. I don't know how my knee will react and the weight gain changes everything about exercise.

I'll check out the reviews for the level 2 ones on Q and Amazon to see what the people find on them useful. Apparently not all DVD workouts are worth the price. I also don't have a rebounder. it will cost $149.99 from Stamina to get it, but they said my machine wasn't made to handle the rebounding exercises, so I'm not sure where to go with that. I have read where others just put on shoes and use the bar for the rebounding, but that type of exercise may be a bit coming.
Respected Contributor

I have tried some youtube videos tonight and find that if I do the leg stretches, I'm going to need a longer machine. I have to adjust the ropes shorter or longer to be able to get the full stretch in order to take my legs all the way down straight or to get the stretch all the way back over my head.

I'll get the weight off first, then invest in a longer, more professional machine that so many use in the videos that get the really full, long stretch in both directions.

Other than the leg length issue, I feel that with the books/DVDs and youtube, I'll be able to get a great workout and stretch on my free machine.
Super Contributor

I got the 3 introductory reformer Pilates workout videos from eBay.. They are the ones with Marjolien that the q used to bundle with the machine. I did a search and saved it and a few days later it popped up. It was a buy now or make offer. I paid the asking price of $39 because I didn't want to lose it. Try eBay. Might be worth it. PS: I got the introductory and level 1 videos. Love them. I am 72 and don't need anything more strenuous.
Respected Contributor

I second ChouChou's DVD set recommendation.  I have them as well, and they are perfect for your needs.  They'll keep you going for quite awhile.  As for your machine length...  I think you'll find it's plenty long.  It accommodates up to 6'5".  Also, if you're wanting a rebounder, they were made for your machine model but Stamina no longer offers them. I suggest you follow the search for it on the bay.  They do come up every once in awhile.  I found one for a friend a few months ago for $50.  I don't suggest trying to rebound on the bar, especially with knee problems.  The Introduction to Aeropilates DVD should get you going just fine and not be too much to start.  Good luck with it!  Also, Marjolein's site is lighterliving.com and has a wealth of information about the machines and how to use them.Smiley Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

Great ChouChou and Gokat. I'll keep my eye out for them on ebay. I found the first DVD offered back in 2009 on amazon for $7 and change. I'll pick that one up until I can find a better price on the second one.

I'm 5'8" and can't get the resistance to pull my legs back into a shoulder stand or pull back on the butterfly unless I shorten the cords for the butterfly and can't get the stretch for the shoulder stand because the cords aren't long enough. They stop short. I have to lengthen the straps to get a fuller extension on my straight leg lowers but not fully down because the cords stop short. I looked at the cords to make sure that it isn't tied off short, but it just isn't long enough for those moves. I'll do what I can with it, since there is quite a lot you can do other than those moves, but I will upgrade around Christmas to the Allegro 2 Rebounder. It is a full length studio rebounder. at 98" instead of the AeroPilates machines that are 86" or so. There is another AeroPilates that is full sized, but for the price, I can get a better machine like the IQ that stores easily or the Allegro 2 that is amazing. They have a video showing the features of the machine. WOW. Both machines use springs instead of cords, so the resistance is way better.

I'm so excited to get started with my free machine. I can save for a better machine and be working out. When I get my new machine, I'll gift my old one to someone else to get them started with the love of Pilates. I wish Amazon shipped 1 day, but I'll wait for my Prime for the DVD ya'll recommended.
Respected Contributor

Here are pics of the two machines I'm considering.  The IQ that collapses for storage.

Product photo

Product photo

And the Allegro 2.

This one has the footbar that moves the entire length of the machine for different exercises and the straps adjust with just one lever.

Respected Contributor

You shouldn't need to be switching strap lengths for different exercises, tigress.  Here's some info...since we can't post links. 

Strap Length

Posted by Marjolein Brugman on Monday, September 1, 2014

Your AeroPilates reformer arrives with the straps already adjusted however occasionally they are not equal lengths and will require you to manually make the correction.

On our latest Plus reformers it is a simple change directly on the velcro handle. On past reformers there is a clip system under the platform and on the very easily reformers you need to retie the knot. 
Your straps function to create a handle for your arms and legs as they work against the resistance of the cords.
The correct length can be established by lying on the platform with your arms straight up perpendicular to the floor at which point the straps should be equal and taut.
Should you wish to add range to your movement then shorten the straps by 2 inches.

Also, if/when the machine doesn't come back for an exercise, just increase the resistance up one cord (or whtever it takes).   Marjolein only weighs 120 lbs. approx., so someone heavier would need to adjust resistance dependent on theirs.  I think you'll find the machine more than sufficient once you get it set up correctly for you.   Smiley Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Trusted Contributor

Once you've got your form down and are tired of the DVDs that you've purchased, I highly recommend this book if you'd like to make up your own routines: 

http://www.amazon.com/Ellie-Hermans-Pilates-Reformer-Second/dp/0976518104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=143...

It's pricey, but it's fabulous.  It has a ton or different exercises along with plenty of pictures and text describing form, what part of the body is being worked, etc.  It is an instructor level book, but easy to follow once you're comfortable with the standard reformer exercises.

Good luck and enjoy your new reformer.