Contributor

Need help with basic cosmetics, please.

I have not been able to work for one year now. Last year I had a hysterectomy and ended up being septic and quite sick. I'm getting stronger now, yay! I would like to ask you kind ladies for your feedback on buying cosmetics. I do not have much money but I sm looking for a good mascara and concealer. Also my eyebrows need some filling in. I just want to look decent now that I am back and feeling better!! Thank you!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with basic cosmetics, please.

I hope you are feeling better. Maybelline Lash Discovery is very nice if you want great length and no clumping. almay also has nice mascaras. Both are at the drugstore. For a concealer, I like Secret Concealer by Laura Mercier. It's $23 I think. Check out Bobbi Brown for an eye brow pencil or Laura Mercier. You want a pencil that stays on so sometimes it's best to spend a little more money than the drug store.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 KatCat1 said:

I hope you are feeling better. Maybelline Lash Discovery is very nice if you want great length and no clumping. almay also has nice mascaras. Both are at the drugstore. For a concealer, I like Secret Concealer by Laura Mercier. It's $23 I think. Check out Bobbi Brown for an eye brow pencil or Laura Mercier. You want a pencil that stays on so sometimes it's best to spend a little more money than the drug store.

As far as a concealer goes I always go back to ......(Instant Age Rewind.... Eraser dark circles....Treatment Concealer). There is another tube that looks just like it so if you turn it upside down and it says Brightener Illuminateur you will know you have the wrong one.

I am light to medium and I get the one called light pale on the bottom of tube.

Trusted Contributor

I use the ELF (eyes, lips, face) mineral mascara and essential zit zapping concealer. The mascara is $3 and the concealer is $2. I really love both, works very well and a bonus is the price. Now, I don't use the concealer for under the eyes...I use as a spot concealer around the face. ELF does carry other concealers for just about any problem...most getting really good reviews and none over $5.00.

You can buy online...they usually have free shipping on orders over $25/$40. And you can get a boat load on very nice products from them for $40!

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 jubilant said:
On 10/30/2014 KatCat1 said:

As far as a concealer goes I always go back to ......(Instant Age Rewind.... Eraser dark circles....Treatment Concealer). There is another tube that looks just like it so if you turn it upside down and it says Brightener Illuminateur you will know you have the wrong one.

I am light to medium and I get the one called light pale on the bottom of tube.

Sorry, I don't know why this posted under KatCat1 {#emotions_dlg.blushing}?????

Contributor

Thank you all!!! I really appreciate your help!!
Respected Contributor

Agreed Maybelline makes some great products! Their mascaras are pretty good, as is the Rewind concealer; I don't think you want to spend 23 dollars on 1 concealer, when Maybelline is about 6 bucks. Maybelline also has new eyebrow gell w/a brush that colrs and fills in, so look at that as well as brow pencils. I appreciate how you are feeling having also had to recover from a serious illness and extended bed rest. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 maestra said:

Agreed Maybelline makes some great products! Their mascaras are pretty good, as is the Rewind concealer; I don't think you want to spend 23 dollars on 1 concealer, when Maybelline is about 6 bucks. Maybelline also has new eyebrow gell w/a brush that colrs and fills in, so look at that as well as brow pencils. I appreciate how you are feeling having also had to recover from a serious illness and extended bed rest. Good luck!

I agree with Maestra. The Maybelline eyebrow gel rivals Bobbi Brown's and will be my dupe for it. I also like Maybelline lipsticks because at Walmart they are less than 5 dollars. The colors are categorized by color families and rival the dept. store brands I have used over the years.

I hope, Aga, that you continue to recover from your illness and here is wishing you the best of health!Smile

Valued Contributor

I love Revlon brow fantasy. I have medium brown hair but I buy the dark blonde to avoid that dark brow look. As far as concealers, a good cheaper one is Covergirl/olay concealer. I believe it cost about 9 dollars and the Revlon brow product is about 7 dollars. Good luck and glad you are feeling better.

Contributor

Beautydotcom sends emails often with discount offers(not sure if there is a 1st order offer online), free ship 35+ and tax free. W3llpeople Narcissist concealer stick(+foundation 2-in-1) is the best concealer ever(pricey, but well worth it and lasts), anastasia brow wiz($21) and new korres volcanic mineral mascara($20) works best. drugstoredotcom items can be added to the same shopping bag or vice versa. Sign up for emails at both sites and remember to click through mrrebates or ebates everytime you shop, to receive cash back periodically!

100percentpuredotcom also has great mascara($21) black tea, eyebrow powder gel($18) & new cream foundation($36) also works as a great concealer(lightly build up the product to the desired level). Sign up for offers at other great stores ultadotcom, dermstoredotcom and blush.com, also 2 sites with one checkout. (plus, folica for hair tools etc)

Glad you are feeling better, wishing you good health and all the best in your future endeavors!Smile