Regular Contributor

Re: Need help finding a good primer.

I've tried a few of the higher end primers but none of them work as well as Monostat Chafing Gel (on me).  Just last week I was given a sample of Lancome's primer.  It was terrible compared to the Monostat that I've used for several years.  Yes, primers make ALL the difference!

Trusted Contributor

Maybe it's not your primer, but what you layer under it.  Too many layers or some thick creams will ball-up, and some products just don't mix well.   I've used several different primers and have never had a problem with any of them balling up.  But I don't apply lots of product layers either. 

@Iwantcoffee - some of us think primers are necessary and our foundation looks fresher all day with a primer.  Personal preference.

Aging is a fact of life, but you don't have to put out the welcome mat. - Margaret Richards
Respected Contributor

ironsister wrote:
I have tried many different primers.
Mally, Laura Gellar, Smash box and Bare Minerals.
It seems that even if I apply just a little, wait for a few minutes before I apply my foundation.... primer balls up and I look worse than if I didn't use primer at all.
I'm 51, combination skin and have a few fine lines. Any suggestions?

My favorite is Benefit Porefessionals Primer. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Occasional Contributor

I think part of the problem is that almost all the primers I've tried are silicone-based.

I only use a very light moisturizer for oily skin, and I use it sparingly.

I cleanse each morning in the shower with Philosopy Micro face wash, and use my Clarisonic at night, so I don't think exfoliation is the problem.

I'd really like to find a primer without silicone.

The only layer under the primer would be light oil free moisturizer, and a light eye cream, both applied after I shower.  If I were to apply primer before makeup, it would be at least 15 minutes after that...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ironsister Your not using too much product but apparently you have a problem with silicone primer. I would suggest trying TooFaced Hangover which has no cones. You can get a sample at Ulta. If you want to try a higher end product, Marc Jacobs sold at Sephora. HTH you Smiley Happy Google some reviews too!

Respected Contributor

I just ordered the IT spa serum primer. I would have to look but I don't think it has silicone. The too faced mentioned above might be a good option also.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View