Contributor

Need help finding a good primer.

[ Edited ]

I have tried many different primers.
Mally, Laura Gellar, Smash box and Bare Minerals.
It seems that even if I apply just a little, wait for a few minutes before I apply my foundation.... primer balls up and I look worse than if I didn't use primer at all.
I'm 51, combination skin and have a few fine lines. Any suggestions?

UPDATE******

I think part of the problem is that almost all the primers I've tried are silicone-based.

I only use a very light moisturizer for oily skin, and I use it sparingly.

I cleanse each morning in the shower with Philosopy Micro face wash, and use my Clarisonic at night, so I don't think exfoliation is the problem.

I'd really like to find a primer without silicone.

Contributor

Re: Need help finding a good primer.

I have found that Mary Kay works well for me and like you I have combination skin.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are using an acid product, like a BHA toner, prior to applying the primer, this can sometimes cause the primer to ball up when you apply foundation.  Also, some sunscreens do not play nice with primers.  It can be tricky trying to find the perfect combination of moisturizer-sunscreen-primer-foundation.

I have an oily t-zone and have good luck using CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream (moisturizer and spf) and Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer.  I use L'Oreal True Match liquid foundation which does not have a built-in primer in the formulation so I must use a primer.  I've tried high end and drugstore primers and frankly, the drugstore primers are just as good as the high end ones.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with river song some products that have spf do not work well with primers.  She recommended a good one. Others on YouTube also recommend NYX primer

Respected Contributor

@ Could be a few reason why its balling up. If your using a rich moisturizer that does not sink into your skin then apply a primer, that will cause it to ball up, it happened to me. Since your oily in the T zone use a mattifying primer in that area. Could be you need more exfoliation. Try using less moisturizer & pat in in to your skin, let that set well. Then pat on your primer sparingly. You maybe be using too much product. Try using a beauty blender to apply your foundation by patting it on. Some spf's will cause the problem.

Respected Contributor

My advise would be to skip the primer. Primers are not necessary. 

Respected Contributor

@GNB1965 I can reco. a very sheer primer. Its Hard Candy Sheer Envy. Sold at Walmart for 8.00...it similar to Smashbox but much much lighter on the skin. I switch up both products.

Honored Contributor

I have been using Spackle since it was first brought to the Q. I have never had the experience the OP describes. I believe the OP is using way too much. I use a dot about the size of a peanut.

Contributor

Before I applied my primer, I apply a very light oil-free moisturizer. I believe the problem to be that I have chosen silicone-based primers. That is what makes them ball up and roll off. I'm searching specifically for a non silicone based primer I don't like the consistency of it and the ones that I have tried don't do anything to minimize fine lines and pores.
Honored Contributor

Primers add another step to the morning makeup routine. ALL of my BB moisturizers have built in primers. One step saved.