Super Contributor

Need advice for growing out my gray hair

[ Edited ]

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death.  Just wondering if anyone has grown out their gray hair and used a semi-permanent or demi-permanent color to help with the transition.  I'm pretty sure I'm about 90% white underneath this color but haven't seen my natural hair for decades and would like to.  I may end up putting blond highlights in it or do something else, depending on what I find, but this all over permanent color is wearing on me.  I need a change but the thought of the skunk stripe scares me.  I thought I read a demi permanent can partially cover gray temporarily.  Color sticks and root sprays, etc. will only work for so long.  I'd love to hear other's experiences that have hair similar to mine.  Thanks..

Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice for growing out my gray hair

When my mom decided to stop coloring and go gray we had her hair 'low lighted' with demi-colors.  Meaning they added shades of browns to her gray so it looked like the gray was a highlight.  As the demi-color brown faded as the hair grew out she did not ever have the dreaded skunk strip.

Occasional Contributor

I have silver platinum hair and foolishly colored it several years ago because I had spring fever. The upkeep was too much so I cut my hair in a short spiky pixie and bit the bullet until it grew out. I considered temporary or semi-permanent color but read that it never completely rinses out. I wanted my beautiful silvery white hair so I told myself if having my roots show is the worst thing to happens to me for 5-6 months, I'm a very lucky person. Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

My thoughts as I've tried and just can't do it:

* It depends on your natural hair color as to the different things you can do with your color as well as the color of your grey (few are the gorgeous silver-white I was surprised to learn. Mine is not except for a specific area. Go figure).

* Using a wash in-wash out (28 shampoos) is a great way to grow it out IF your hair is shorter and you will get frequent trims or choose to go short. Stay on top of it and it works quite well. Long hair is not an easy to do this with.

*Work with your stylist to achieve the look you want as you transition.

I had a long conversation with my stylist. I've tried on wigs. I thought about simply going lighter in shade (natural dark brown); lighter hair color is NOT flattering on me. If I'm going to go 100% grey, it HAS to be the bright silver-white and that is going to mean having to color my hair as the bulk of my hair is a yellowed-brown grey....dirty dentures is what she called it. I've tried growing it out but it was not flattering in any way so.....

when the time comes that my look (long dark hair with white streaks... all natural, btw) doesn't work, she's going to do low lights and highlights and multi-level coloring (CLUELESS as to what this all means) but in the end, my hair will gradually go from dark brown with streaks to more of the white, less of the brown until I'm 100% white (with the help of a coloring agent).

The cut is also important as so many of us develop kinky, course, wiry hair. Styles/cuts I used to be able to do no longer work, so we cut my hair into a style that works with my texture as well as length that is flattering to me. It can take a while to get it right but it's worth the time and effort.

I wish you all the best on your journey. There are many forums out there dedicated to those who choose to do this (and who have reached their goal). In the end, it's a personal choice and it must work for you: no one else. Hugs!!

Super Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

When my mom decided to stop coloring and go gray we had her hair 'low lighted' with demi-colors.  Meaning they added shades of browns to her gray so it looked like the gray was a highlight.  As the demi-color brown faded as the hair grew out she did not ever have the dreaded skunk strip.

That sounds really pretty!  I just don't think I can afford to go to the hairdressers all the time for highlights or lowlights that would need to be done frequently now that I think about it.  Money is tight.  But I am getting a cut this week so I will talk to my hairdresser about it.  Thanks!

Super Contributor

@LoyalQVCustomer wrote:

I have silver platinum hair and foolishly colored it several years ago because I had spring fever. The upkeep was too much so I cut my hair in a short spiky pixie and bit the bullet until it grew out. I considered temporary or semi-permanent color but read that it never completely rinses out. I wanted my beautiful silvery white hair so I told myself if having my roots show is the worst thing to happens to me for 5-6 months, I'm a very lucky person. Good luck.  

I did not know that about the colors not completely rinsing out!  So glad I posted here.  I am getting my hair cut this week way shorter than I usually do but don't think a pixie would look good on me.  But I'm going as short as I can haha... Thanks so much for the input.  Your hair sounds so pretty!

Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

My thoughts as I've tried and just can't do it:

* It depends on your natural hair color as to the different things you can do with your color as well as the color of your grey (few are the gorgeous silver-white I was surprised to learn. Mine is not except for a specific area. Go figure).

* Using a wash in-wash out (28 shampoos) is a great way to grow it out IF your hair is shorter and you will get frequent trims or choose to go short. Stay on top of it and it works quite well. Long hair is not an easy to do this with.

*Work with your stylist to achieve the look you want as you transition.

I had a long conversation with my stylist. I've tried on wigs. I thought about simply going lighter in shade (natural dark brown); lighter hair color is NOT flattering on me. If I'm going to go 100% grey, it HAS to be the bright silver-white and that is going to mean having to color my hair as the bulk of my hair is a yellowed-brown grey....dirty dentures is what she called it. I've tried growing it out but it was not flattering in any way so.....

when the time comes that my look (long dark hair with white streaks... all natural, btw) doesn't work, she's going to do low lights and highlights and multi-level coloring (CLUELESS as to what this all means) but in the end, my hair will gradually go from dark brown with streaks to more of the white, less of the brown until I'm 100% white (with the help of a coloring agent).

The cut is also important as so many of us develop kinky, course, wiry hair. Styles/cuts I used to be able to do no longer work, so we cut my hair into a style that works with my texture as well as length that is flattering to me. It can take a while to get it right but it's worth the time and effort.

I wish you all the best on your journey. There are many forums out there dedicated to those who choose to do this (and who have reached their goal). In the end, it's a personal choice and it must work for you: no one else. Hugs!!

Oh my gosh, your hair is going to be amazing.  I've been reading a bit about all this and I think I get the gist of what your stylist is planning to do for you.  Very, very pretty!  I am getting a layered cut this week and plan on going much shorter than usual.  I'll talk with my stylist and see what she says. Last time I brought this up she said to me "Why would you want to look older than you are?"  I was actually disappointed to hear that but brushed it off and let it go.  I love the way she cuts my hair and I color it myself anyway.  She always tells me my color looks good so I know she's not trying to make more money off of me.  But I do trust her knowledge.  She's been doing this a long time.  I think I have EmmyLou Harris hair.  I'm almost all white.  So that's why I'm not quite sure what to do if I do this myself.  Thanks for the input.  You are awesome!

Regular Contributor

Dear moderators....none of the cites below sell anything...they're just noted here to help @cac140

There are MANY web/blog sites out in cyber-space to help you.   Here's a couple of my research favorites......... you can add the www before and the dot com after to get where you need to go.

goinggraylookinggreat

goinggrayblog

hairfinder.com/hairquestions/hq-grayhair.htm

cleansharpandhandsome.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-silver-gray-edition.html

pinterest.com/fabulousafter40/i-love-my-gray-hair/

wardrobe911.com/reader-question-makeup-clothing-color-choices-for-gray-hair/

carmendellorefice

On the pinterest page I gave you are pictures of real women who've all gone before you.....just for inspiration.   And Carmen dell'Orefice was my "heroine" model forever!!  I put her page here for you just because she's awesome!  

Welcome to the "revolution!"   You can DO this!   And think of the money, time, effort, etc. you'll be saving.   

Respected Contributor

@cac140 My natural color was very dark brown with auburn highlights. When I decided to let it go gray, I talked to my stylist. She suggested "heavy" highlights, which we did. I loved them (shocked the heck out of me that I looked good with lighter hair!), and they made the growing out process very easy. I had that done every 4 months for about a year. Then we went to just a toner, which gradually washes out. I love my hair now! It's a really pretty mix of silver, gray and brown that I get lots of compliments on.

Go for it! At worst, you won't like it and will choose to color again. At best, you'll love your new color and never have to worry about roots anymore!

Valued Contributor

Have answered this before but gld to share.  I went gray very early but always kept my hair blonde, with streaks and then had to go to all over color.  Got really tired on the every 3 weeks touch ups and the color was no longer holding well.  My hair was about touching my shoulder.  So I just had it highlighted as light as possible and let the natural color grow in.  Turned out my hair was naturally a beautiful platinum and I get compliments about it all the time.  Also,  my hair is much shinier and healthier without all the color.  Good luck!