Valued Contributor
On 10/19/2014 woodyend said:

Hard, hard, and hard to get off, but this was my first foray in over ten years of using nail polish.

Okay in my defense, my hands are a bit shaky and the polish was lumpy and oh yes, I did a bad job of trimming my nails. But here is the latest color.

Pure Ice’s Tokyo Pearl

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom: I was a die-hard acrylic wearer for 10 years because I would compulsively bite and pick at my nails without the acrylic. After a really bad refill, I had to take them off, but the manicurist I went to didn't have time to put on a new set. So she gave me a regular manicure and scheduled me the following week for a new set. That was 4 years and I'm still sporting my natural nails. Here are my secrets for getting them healthy and keeping them healthy:

-Keep your nails relatively short. Mine are pretty flush with the tip of my finger.

-2 coats of Citra Nail Strengthener, formula #2

-2 coats of nail polish, preferably Essie, OPI, or Zoya

-1 coat of Seche Vite quick drying topcoat (not the best ingredients but it dries to a hard, strong finish super fast)

-CND Solar Oil - a little bit on each cuticle every night

If I feel I don't need the Citra, I use one coat of Zoya Anchor basecoat. I typically get 6-8 days chip free (and I cook/do dishes 4-5 times a week.)

Respected Contributor
On 10/21/2014 RachB said:

@Hoovermom: I was a die-hard acrylic wearer for 10 years because I would compulsively bite and pick at my nails without the acrylic. After a really bad refill, I had to take them off, but the manicurist I went to didn't have time to put on a new set. So she gave me a regular manicure and scheduled me the following week for a new set. That was 4 years and I'm still sporting my natural nails. Here are my secrets for getting them healthy and keeping them healthy:

-Keep your nails relatively short. Mine are pretty flush with the tip of my finger.

-1 coat of Seche Vite quick drying topcoat (not the best ingredients but it dries to a hard, strong finish super fast)

If I feel I don't need the Citra, I use one coat of Zoya Anchor basecoat. I typically get 6-8 days chip free (and I cook/do dishes 4-5 times a week.)

Thank you RachB. I am going to go this week for a "manicure only" and see what my tech says. I know what she will say since I have been going to her for so long, "you cannot do it, stay with your pink and white".....but I am the customer LOL. Thanks for all of the details to get my nails back. Wish me luck and that I don't cave.

Contributor

I'm wearing OPI/Green On The Runway on my fingers - it's a great duochrome showing olive green & brown & purple depending on the light. My toes are nekkid! But I plan on doing my fingers orange and my toes a reddish brown this evening.

Love the idea of seeing these posts on a regular basis!

Honored Contributor

I am not so enamored with Vinylux, it lasts fairly decent for 7 days , but so does OPI, and Essie. I just bought OPI Score A Goal from the Brazil Collection, my coworker had it on, and I fell in love with it.

Super Contributor

I am just finishing up my Halloween nail. Will post a pic for you later today!

Super Contributor

Woodyend- love your nail pics, gotta learn how to do that ! Did you only use Glitter polish in your pic, because it would be very difficult to remove it. I clear base, then find a solid color of polish that is similar and then use the glitter on top and then clear coat finish. Just using Glitter polish only takes too many coats and would be so very difficult to remove in my experience with it. I learned my lesson the hard way ! Took forever to remove it.

I have never used acrylic nails, I have never had a professional manicure. I am lucky enough to have strong fast growing nails !

I use all different brands of polish like OPI, Revlon, Sally Hansen, and Wet & Wild.

Contributor
On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Is no one wearing pink for us ???

Remee, Hi, I'm wearing pink all month ! I didn't forget ! It's a real shame if no others are not for such an important reason. It makes people notice and perhaps one person or more might remember to do a self exam and it could save a life. Kind of worth sporting all kinds of pinks for a month...not a bad deal at all. COME ON GIRLS, HELP OUT A BIT !!! NO ONE IS ASKING YOU TO GIVE MONEY, IT'S THE LEAST YOU CAN DO ! I'D DO IT FOR YOU !

Super Contributor
On 10/21/2014 Hoovermom said:
On 10/21/2014 RachB said:

Thank you RachB. I am going to go this week for a "manicure only" and see what my tech says. I know what she will say since I have been going to her for so long, "you cannot do it, stay with your pink and white".....but I am the customer LOL. Thanks for all of the details to get my nails back. Wish me luck and that I don't cave.

Hi Hoovermom. Is there any chance that your nail tech is telling you that you "can not have a real manicure" because she doesn't want to do a real manicure? Or she's concerned that you will stop coming to her for your acrylics? ; )

As for trying a real mani, I say go for it. You may love it!

Super Contributor
On 10/22/2014 mdseredyahoocom said:
On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Is no one wearing pink for us ???

Remee, Hi, I'm wearing pink all month ! I didn't forget ! It's a real shame if no others are not for such an important reason. It makes people notice and perhaps one person or more might remember to do a self exam and it could save a life. Kind of worth sporting all kinds of pinks for a month...not a bad deal at all. COME ON GIRLS, HELP OUT A BIT !!! NO ONE IS ASKING YOU TO GIVE MONEY, IT'S THE LEAST YOU CAN DO ! I'D DO IT FOR YOU !

Yes, ladies, I wear pink polish for you (and me). Either on all nails or sometimes only on my right index finger (along with a pink crystal ring). I actually get more comments with 9 fingers other polish, & one pink nail with the ring!