Valued Contributor

Re: NUFACE vs the EGG on HSN

I think the EGG is really the Babyliss facial toning device which they say is EMS technology. It was the exact product, now it's not available anymore. I think that SSC may have bought them out and rebranded it. I have one that I got used, didn't pay much for it. I use it on the sides of my neck area for one minute, gliding upwards to the jawline. I keep it at the lowest setting. I do not use it on my face. I have an old school facemaster (with the chin straps) and I keep that at a low setting as well. I use my Nutritone under my eyes, above my lip, and right under my chin. Again, low setting.

From what I've read, as lyn said, Nuface is based on microcurrent technology. So is the Isomers Nutritone, and the Pico Toner.

Andreatoo, I use aloe vera gel from Walmart. I mix that in with a bit of water for a better slip.

There is also a youtube video from a doctor and she demonstates how to easily make your own ultrasound gel. I am going to try it once my aloe vera runs out. It's called: Make your own Ultrasound Gel: the movie.

Frequent Contributor

On 5/10/2014 MidNight said:
On 5/9/2014 lyn in MI said: Let's assume that the highest EGG treatment level (10) is 15mA. That means the lowest level (1) is still 1.5mA which = 1500 microamps! That is more than 3X a micro-current output of 500 microamps. imho, the EGG is grossly misrepresented as a micro-current facial system and for that reason HSN should refund any customer who thought they were purchasing two micro-current units just like a NuFace.

Lyn where did you get all this info?...Can you post a link to it and maybe i can send it off to hsns legal dept.

MidNight

HTH here are 2 that were referenced in lyn's previous posts; the above was commenting to my question on the 10 levels of the EGG, I do not think this above 'quote' has been published, I could be wrong.

http://www.holisticphysicaltherapy.org/Micro_current_therapy.html

Effects of microcurrent

In 1982 Ngok Cheng published, The Effect of Electric Currents on ATP Generation, Protein Synthesis and Membrane Transport in Rat Skin in Clinical Orthopedics volume 171: pages 264-272. This study showed that microcurrent increased ATP production in rat skin by 500%. ATP is the chemical that the body uses for energy. The current also increased amino acid transport into the cell by 70% and waste product removal. The implications for human healing and repair are obvious. ATP production was increased as long as the current was below 500 microamps. When the authors increased the current to 1000 micro amps, or one milliamp, a current range delivered by TENS devices and other types of electrical stimulation therapies, the ATP production was actually reduced.

http://europeansi.com/Microcurrent.html

A true microcurrent uses less than 500 microamperes. Its intensity is so low it does not and cannot cause any visual or physical muscle movement.

Some people confuse microcurrent with EMS-type devices such the ones we can see in Esthetics Shows or TV infomercials.

These devices use as much as 5,000 microamperes and even though it seems to produce instant tonification of the muscle, it does not. In actuality, when used cumulatively, they create flaccid and lifeless muscles, completely void of ATP. True microcurrent will re-educate the muscle over time...

Valued Contributor

That's some great information there. They'll probably stop selling the machine once legal gets a hold of the info. They always compare the EGG with the Nuface. Always saying theirs is only one machine, you get two with ours. They forget to mention, "theirs" is micro current, ours is not. Lol!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting the links to my sources, saidthespidertothefly. Midnight, the info regarding the fact that the EGG's output is +- 15 mA (milliamps) is on their User Guide. You can seek out a milliamp to microamp converter online. 15 milliamps = 15,000 microamps. The EGG is not a microcurrent unit. As I posted on #7, Flageoli, LTD (dba, SSC) purchased the unit from BaByliss and they rebranded it. I think Babyliss launched it back in '04. If you search for the BaByliss model # 8305, you should be able to find details on it, as well as photos on Google Images.

ETA: Yes, I made the assumptions regarding the EGG's output on the lowest level in my post #32.

Photo of the BaByliss #8305...
 photo imagejpg1_zpsb295e59f.jpg
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Frequent Contributor

as a note, the SSC EGG is FDA cleared as a facial toning device, and within/part of the EGG's name is Microcurrent.

I am not expressing my personal views on the FDA, or FDA clearance, the EGG or anything else in this post, just adding some information as to HSN's possible response.

Frequent Contributor

lyn, you are welcome...especially after all your help and direction, so thank you back at cha

Trusted Contributor

On 5/11/2014 saidthespidertothefly said:

as a note, the SSC EGG is FDA cleared as a facial toning device, and within/part of the EGG's name is Microcurrent.

I am not expressing my personal views on the FDA, or FDA clearance, the EGG or anything else in this post, just adding some information as to HSN's possible response.

My guess is that the FDA clearance was granted to BaByliss and it was granted based on their filing that the BaByliss 8305 had EMS technology, not microcurrent.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

On 5/11/2014 saidthespidertothefly said:

lyn, you are welcome...especially after all your help and direction, so thank you back at cha

Welcome, back atcha.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

OK, I just caught up on the thread (from post 32 on). I think anyone who has decided to return their EGG is making a good decision if you purchased it thinking it was a micro-current machine, like the NuFace. Based on everything I've read, there is a huge difference between EMS and micro-current. That doesn't mean EMS technology is a bad choice for facial toning, however it is different than micro-current, and I think SSG and HSN should market the EGG in a more honest fashion. They should compare it to other EMS facial toning devices, such as the BMR Beauty Lift or the Rio Pro Lift and not the NuFace.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

I was able to locate BaByliss's product description and manufacturer's description posted on amazon.com. BaByliss was very clear that their unit (now sold as the EGG) features EMS technology, not micro-current as SSC now advertises.

Product Description
· Facial toning system provides facial muscle exercise to gently help firm and lift the natural contours of the face.
· Uses beauty salon EMS technology.
· 2 contoured hand-held units for easy comfortable use.
· 3 Toning Programmes for a complete facial toning system:
1) Deep Toning - exercise of underlying facial muscles
2) Surface Toning - gentle toning action for surface muscles
3) Enhancing Routine - general maintenance of toned muscles
· Timer
· Variable intensity control
· Display panel to indicate programme selected timer and intensity
· Conductive gel
· Compact and attractive storage
· Battery operated (1 x 9V PP3 battery included)
· 2 year guarantee
Manufacturer's Description
Facial toning system with beauty salon EMS technology provides gentle muscle exercise to help firm and lift the natural contours of the face.

I have to wonder how in the world SSC gets away with the micro-current banner they've attached to this product. Imho, NuFace should have their attorney kick off a cease and desist or HSN should demand SSC correct the misinformation in their presentations.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007