Honored Contributor

Re: NIVEA? LE MER?

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Nikol Johnson talks about the similarities (and almost $195 price difference) in a YT video dated 2/12. Very interesting.

I've never tried either. Has anyone tried these creams? Comparisons? Your thoughts?

@Shanus @I've tried both. I have psoriasis on my face. I can make it look almost invisible using either. I have exceptionally dry skin. The reason is because both creams contain lanolin. This is the only 

ingredient that can penetrate as deeply into the stratum corneum layer of the skin and continue to moisturize and soften to the degree it does. It's a fantastic emollient. It can reduce water loss through the skin by 20-30%It traps water in the skin. Since it can trap water in the skin for at least 24 hours it reduces the looks of lines and wrinkles. It does not pull water from. The air as humectants do.. It's very hydrating, especially if applied after washing the face or showering. It improves the appearance of rough, dry or flaky skin. I buy the Nivea Crème in the dark blue tub or use I use Eucerin Original Healing, which has similar properties. I often add in a second moisturizer after the Nivea sinks in. You must warm both Nivea and La Mer up between your fingers to get them to the right consistency. There's a German version of Nivea that is better than the American but it's very hard to get in the U.S. Most of the time, when offered here it's counterfeit or something is wrong with it. If you don't have exceptionally dry skin you might not need to use these very heavy moisturizers. By the way, once they penetrate and are on for a few minutes they are not greasy. I do wipe off any excess.
I always use a wash cloth with warm water and whatever soap or cleanser on my face in the shower which exfoliates the dead skin before I moisturize. 

I also use other facial moisturizers at different times. I like Estée Lauder's Revitalizing Supreme Moisturizer. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Nikol Johnson talks about the similarities (and almost $195 price difference) in a YT video dated 2/12. Very interesting.

I've never tried either. Has anyone tried these creams? Comparisons? Your thoughts?

@Shanus @I've tried both. I have psoriasis on my face. I can make it look almost invisible using either. The reason is because both creams contain . This is the only 

ingredient that can penetrate as deeply into the stratum corneum layer of the skin and continue to moisturize and soften to the degree it does. It's a fantastic emollient. It can reduce water loss through the skin by 20-30%It traps water in the skin. Since it can trap water in the skin for at least 24 hours it reduces the looks of lines and wrinkles. It does not pull water from. The air as humectants do.. It's very hydrating, especially if applied after washing the face or showering. It improves the appearance of rough, dry or flaky skin. I buy the Nivea Crème in the dark blue tub or use I use Eucerin, which has similar properties. I often add in a second moisturizer after the Nivea sinks in. You must warm both Nivea and La Mer up between your fingers to get them to the right consistency. There's a German version of Nivea that is better than the American but it's very hard to get in the U.S. Most of the time, when offered here it's counterfeit or something is wrong with it. If you don't have exceptionally dry skin you might not need to use these very heavy moisturizers. By the way, once they penetrate and are on for a few minutes they are not greasy. I do wipe off any excess.
I always use a wash cloth with warm water and whatever soap or cleanser on my face in the shower which exfoliates the dead skin before I moisturize. 

I also use other facial moisturizers at different times. I like Estée Lauder's Revitalizing Supreme Moisturizer. 

@Mindy D you seem to have left out the ingredient in your sentence. 🤔

Trusted Contributor

Re: NIVEA? LE MER?

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee I'm curious, what led you to try such an expensive cream for your son's eczema in the first place?  Did you already have it or was it recommended to you?

@Icegoddess  I was shopping at Nordstrom before I went in for my C-section and my buddy who worked at the Trish McEvoy counter gave me a bunch of sample/travel sizes to take to the hospital (I would be there for a week). One of them was a tiny little jar of La Mer cream. She said it was great for super dry skin, smelled nice (it's a very light fresh lemony scent to me) and you need a small amount. That's how I happened to have it. Nothing else they had used on his face was working so I thought "why not try it" and it WORKED.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

If they are mineral oil and petro based, I would never use either. 

Honored Contributor

Does anyone remember NIOSOME from Lancome? That cream cured everything from athlete's foot to sunburn.

I used to have half a dozen as backups and then it was gone. Gosh, I miss that cream.

Esteemed Contributor

I just happened to have run into that Nikol Johnson video with a great title "Women In Their 90's Say This $8 Cream Keeps Them Looking Young" before I logged in, so I had to watch.

And it turns out the cream of the title is the Nivea in the jar.  (Not the lotion that can be poured.)   The 90+ year old looks amazing!

I can't compare to LaMer, which I have never used, but I do believe what she said about the Nivea cream's effectiveness.

I grew up in humid Puerto Rico (the Caribbean island) and came up to the Massachusetts at age 18 for college, at 22 moved to NYC.  I don't know that I used any face creams before college, though I may have used a moisturizing soap.  My skin was shockingly dry to me in Massachusetts, Nivea was recommended to me, and the Nivea in the jar and in the tube was the ONLY skin care that I used until my 40s, when I started to show some texture.  I used the Nivea cream liberally, slathering it on whenever my skin felt tight.  I did not use sunscreen until my 40s except as an adult at the beach.  (As a teenager, I used baby oil!  I fried like a lobster.). I have medium skin tone.

At 40s, it was the first time I added sunscreen and more sophisticated skin care products because my skin began to show texture and marionette lines.  Maybe if I had added sunscreen before I would have had no texture or wrinkles!  And this is not in the genes, my mom and my sister had a lot of acne in their youth and later very textured skin.  My cousins in Puerto Rico about my same age (no Nivea, I am sure) are much more wrinkled, they are sun worshippers, and I became a lawyer...  Oh well.  I think my having only minimal acne probably contributed to the smoothness of my skin, and it would have been different if I had had lots of acne.  Because I can see that the texture is in the places where I had a little bit of acne, and the slight wrinkles I have are expression lines.

So yes, I think the Nivea in the jar (different from the lotion that can be poured) helped my skin tremendously.  That same Nivea cream also came in a tube and I carried it with me and I moisturized all the time when my skin felt tight.  Because I am not big on make-up, I could just slather it on face and hands at any time.  (Later, when I was working, I did wear make-up and could not moisturize as often.)

I had stopped buying Nivea but recently found some small tins of the creme and bought them for my purse.  I have not used much, but I think Nikol's idea of just putting on top of other treatments at night is a great idea and I will do so.  (I think...)

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most all Nivea's products contain fragrance. I've used their body lotion in the past and I remember it was heavily scented but it was a nice lotion nonetheless. They have come out with a fragrance-free body lotion since then but not one for the face that I could find.

@SilleeMee These are the ingredients from the tin I bought last year.  The product Nikol talks about is the creme, not the lotion.  It does include "parfum."  The scent is very light and I never noticed it.  Same scent as before.  But it looks like it expired.  ☹️. I did get it at a discount shop.  I think it was $2.50.  It still smells and feels the same.

IMG_1027.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee does it have any other concerning ingredients?

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

Mineral oil is the second ingredient if that concerns you.  The lanolin alc might irritate some skin types and could cause clogging. But by far the worst ones are the fragrance ingredients.