Honored Contributor

My vitamin C powder is gritty and drying

I recently bought a bag of vitamin C powder. I'm mixing it with my moisturizer. Problem is that it doesn't completely dissolve. I guess most of it does but there is some grittiness left on my face. Also it is drying to my face. I am not real sure exactly what to expect, but I didn't expect my face to feel dry and tight as I am mixing this with my moisturizer. I'm using the tiniest little scoop I've ever seen it must be about a 16th of a teaspoon. It looks about half the size of my 1/8 teaspoon. I've only used it 3 times because of how it made my face feel. Any suggestions on a different way to apply vitamin C powder?
Thanks
Honored Contributor

Re: My vitamin C powder is gritty and drying

Maybe it's just pulverized aspirin, which stays gritty.    I tried that for a "scrub", but didn't find it very effective.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally don't think a moisturizer is going to work, to dissolve the vitamin c powder enough to make it penetrate your skin.  You need something more liquidy like a toner, first essence, or water based serum.  It might be tricky with the serum though because you could change the pH or alter ingredients in the serum.  Do you use a toner or Asian first essence?  Try mixing it with that.  If you don't currently use a toner, you could start with something very basic like Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera.  Just make sure it's not the astringent.  Also, if you're using straight vitamin c (ascorbic acid), without any kind of buffers, that can be harsh for your skin and the amount in the scoop/spoon may be too much for you.  I had the same experience when I tried it a few years ago.  I decided it was too much monkey business trying to get the right amount and my face paying the price that I ended up chucking the powder and just went to a commercially made vitamin c serum.  If you still want to experiment with using your powder, look for a scoop this size, and maybe don't fill it completely to begin with.  Hopefully another member will have some suggestions on what to add as a buffer, but then again you're playing with specific amounts, pH, etc. and it can get more complicated than it's worth.  Good luck.

MINI SCOOPS Spoons Crafts Mixing Makeup Measuring Project Travel Trial Size Arts

ETA - if you like the idea of using a powder because it stays fresh longer and is at its strongest right at mixing time, you might consider checking out the new Skinn Restore C+ Powder (look for it on eBay for your best price).  It's balanced with a mixture of "C's", doesn't burn the skin, and comes with a little spoon right inside the cap.  

Respected Contributor

Try Paula's Choice C Booster. It's like a serum. Very moisturizing. You can apply it on its own or mix it in with your moisturizer. I have a powder from a different brand. I use it from time to time but it's messy.
Respected Contributor

Can you tell us more about the powder you are using? 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

ETA - if you like the idea of using a powder because it stays fresh longer and is at its strongest right at mixing time, you might consider checking out the new Skinn Restore C+ Powder (look for it on eBay for your best price).  It's balanced with a mixture of "C's", doesn't burn the skin, and comes with a little spoon right inside the cap.  

I have the Skinn C and it disolves easily in serum or cream and no sting (unlike the philosophy which was much more pricey)

Honored Contributor

I don't use a toner and have no idea what an Asian first essence is.  It is 100% asorbic acid but it doesn't bother my skin.  I started out with about 1/2 of the size spoon you show in your photo and when that didn't cause any irratation, I used a full scoop.  How about Nuertogena Hydro Boost?  It's a "water gel" formula.  Might that work well with the Vit C?

Honored Contributor

Here is the link to the vit C my mother and I bought on Amazon.

100% Vit C Powder

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I don't use a toner and have no idea what an Asian first essence is.  It is 100% asorbic acid but it doesn't bother my skin.  I started out with about 1/2 of the size spoon you show in your photo and when that didn't cause any irratation, I used a full scoop.  How about Nuertogena Hydro Boost?  It's a "water gel" formula.  Might that work well with the Vit C?

@monicakm

An Asian first essence is sort of like a toner in that it's a liquid which is applied as the first step in skincare after cleansing.  It helps to soften the skin in order to help it receive any follow-up products better, allowing them to penetrate deeper.  In reading about the product that was purchased, it appears this is intended to be taken internally.  There are reviews about it being gritty in skincare applications, probably because it's food grade for use in the kitchen, meant to be dissolved in a liquid, either to drink or use in home canning.  What you need is something more finely milled and listed as cosmetic grade.  Still, it's my opinion that a well made serum is a lot easier than trying to get the chemistry just right by mixing ingredients at home.  

I've never used the Neutrogena Hydro Boost so I can recommend or reject your idea.  I don't quite understand, though.  In your OP you complained about the ascorbic acid leaving you dry, but in your recent post you said your skin can handle it?  I suppose you'll just have to keep experimenting until you figure out a good combination of products to cocktail that work for you or decide to pursue a different avenue.

Super Contributor

I make my own and it isn't gritty at all.  http://sophieuliano.com/recipes/vitamin-c-gelserum/