Esteemed Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

I have empathy for obese people. I have fought the weight issue all my life and it is not fun. The biggest problem is that people are not taught how to eat right and stay healthy. If you watch all these food ads on TV, not one of them are healthy. These so called diets that tout weight loss if you follow them. Many people take the hook and lose weight only to regain it plus some. I really think people need to be educated on healthy eating. The other day I was in the grocery store and this woman who was overweight grabbed a bag of cookies. We have so much junk food and it is quick and easy. This is what people should be taught on how to eat healthy not how or what diet you need to follow. When I started on my own plan, I found it was good for me and I didn't need to eat the food on a plan. This has always been a fail for me.

Honored Contributor

@greamy wrote:

I am not over weight, but I would like to say regarding weight issues, that the over weight person knows better than anyone else. I think this is a delicate subject and needs to be addressed gently. Doctors who don't practice what they preach are the worst offenders. I have friends who are overweight and are very sensitive about the issue, why hurt their feelings more. I understand this is a health issue, but it is a feelings issue and should be broached carefully and sensitivley. Over weight people are very definitely not treated with respect and this is unfortunate. 

@greamy, the worst disrespect is to avoid the topic with a patient. And that goes for skinny, normal weight, or overweight doctors and nurses.

No one who is rightfully practicing medicine should be silent when faced with any potential health problem.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@greamy wrote:

I am not over weight, but I would like to say regarding weight issues, that the over weight person knows better than anyone else. I think this is a delicate subject and needs to be addressed gently. Doctors who don't practice what they preach are the worst offenders. I have friends who are overweight and are very sensitive about the issue, why hurt their feelings more. I understand this is a health issue, but it is a feelings issue and should be broached carefully and sensitivley. Over weight people are very definitely not treated with respect and this is unfortunate. 

OP said that her friends said the doctor wasn't rude so that wasn't an issue here. She simply just did not like to hear the truth, regardless of how nicely it was stated.

Respected Contributor

That is a fantastic question! I know there is a type- in with obesity, diabetes and bariatric surgery...: I know in extreme cases, that's the answer-and the state may not pay for it.... I guess it's a real question of where you live, but I don't know.

In the "Old Days" doctors were giving liquid diets-the same that Opra was on some 30 years ago- and some insurance was covering it.......I know nothing about the cut off point for BMI: I have never been on anything called " The American College of Bariatric Surgery", but I am sure one exists.

I do not want to speak out of turn, but what are your questions? I can't believe some people were going after the OP for talking about a conversation.... I'm a dullard and a technophobe, but I have no way of finding out who the OP is, and where she lives-etc... We don't need to be hedge....or do we? We choose screen names and reveal other data with a choice to do so-or not.

I love this place more and more-it's my "virtual neighborhood"... welcome-and I remember I "spoke" with you on the Beauty Forum.... there was something about you that I just felt "connected" to.....but hey, I was adopted, so I never know who I may be speaking to here.......maybe, even my mother!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The fact that some doctors are overweight is, IMO, irrelevant to any discussion about weight loss, even if a doctor who is recommending the loss is overweight him- or herself.

What? Really?

If a doctor won't or can't control their weight (or their drug habits or their alcohol consumption)they really don't need to be telling others what to do. Kind of like a minister that is breaking the commandments standing in the pulpit preaching. It really lacks effectiveness and legitimacy.

@Mominohio, let's not blithely conflate being overweight with two other habits that have the potential for deadly mistakes in such a profession.

I don't expect anyone to be perfect in every respect. Surely a religious leader occasionally breaks a Commandment here and there.

If we were simply talking about an overweight person suggesting to a friend that she or he needs to lose weight, I would wonder about that, although I would want to know more about the context.

But a medical professional is responsible for the health of his patients. If he or she does not do their best, now that is irresponsible and a breach of the Oath:

Hippocratic Oath: Modern Version. I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant: I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3, II am in total agreement-stress=cortisol release= weight retained....but really, maybe not on this thread, but a diabetic walked into her Endocrinologist Office-and there he was, scarfing down a doughnut.  He also revealed to this poster, that he was a type 2 Diabetic... I'm griping.....weight and vanity are so complex....but so is health... I was literally at Death's Door back in 2015- but from my truth-that I discovered with my glucose meter....food management was the somewhat easy part, but I quickly grasped the fact that I could not eat the way I used to...I settled in-but my glucose meter was/ is still my best friend....

It, however did not answer all of life's questions....I am so blessed to have the psychiatrist that I do-and my blessed therapist.....

There iS No One Way- ultimately, we solve that for ourselves, but others seek alternatives-and that's ok.......but know, that I hope your doctor "gets" you, and is "open"  many do not have a choice...and, if we were to follow..

It's difficult these days... For example, how do we know he was eating a. Generic doughnut? 

Perhaps it was low-carb o r whatever-but I do feel he should have explained that one!: just sayin'

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I fully expect to be told I must lose weight when I have my annual physical next month.  There would be no reason for me to be upset by it because he would be talking about it from a health standpoint.  I just hope he shows some empathy because weight loss can be very difficult.

Super Contributor

Doctors are just people. They eat poorly, they smoke, etc.  I am always surprised that hospital cafeterias serve such horrid food to the people who work hard hours (and the patients too)

I had a very young pharmacist ask me if I am pregnant before giving me medicine.  First, he did not even look at me or he would see how old I am.  I just said, very loudly, NO! I AM JUST FAT! and everyone laughed.  AT HIM!!!  haha

Respected Contributor

I attend a support group under the umbrella of the American Chronic Pain Association. At my first meeting I was struck at how heavy about half of the members were.

But I remembered what my doctor told me when he put me on three meds for pain that cause weight gain. He said that I'd probably gain thirty lbs. I gained eight. I am exercise intolerant; he didn't even factor it in.

I didn't change my diet drastically. I always ate healthy.  Genetics play a major role.

I do think if a doctor tells a patient to lose weight they should then "prescribe." Many hospitals have weight loss programs.

I asked the cardiologist I see for suggestions. She gave me the best plan: imagine your dinner plate. One side should be fruits and veggies. The other protein and carbs.

I had a doctor who was anorexic; another one really overweight. They never brought up weight. I asked the anorexic doc how she stayed so thin. She said she only ate one meal a day and drank coffee all day.

On a lighter note: years ago I went to see my gyn. He said, "wow, you've lost a lot of weight." At the previous visit someone entered 192 lbs. instead of 129!

Esteemed Contributor

If the MD is themselves overweight, they know better than anyone about the potential health risks.

When they (the doctor) recommends weight loss for a patient, it is about the patient, and the doc doing their job.  To deflect and defer and excuse not taking action, as that patient, is simply that - an excuse.

It's like the cobbler having no shoes, sort of.

Cogito ergo sum