Respected Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

I was just wondering whether anyone with an inside track in the health field knows whether there's any kind of a P4P (pay for performance) incentive doctors are getting when their patients lose weight. This would likely be related to the ACA, Medicare, and/or Medicaid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

A lot of them are overweight themselves.   

ETA:  I posted this before I had read more replies so didn't see that @winamac1 had posted the same thing. LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Question to anyone here that wants to reply ......

Coincidence ......    I was having lunch with a friend last week who'd recently been to her MD and losing weight came up.    My friend eats pretty healthy IMO and doesn't snack.  The diet isn't really the problem from what I can see.

However, she has serious issues with RA and Fibromyalgia, and does just about zero exercise.   She's in just too much pain to exercise.  She asked her MD about pain meds to help her and the request was denied.  Doc said take Tylenol, period.  That won't even scratch the surface.

So .......   how does a person dealing with serious chronic pain do a reasonable amount of exercise?   Suggestions?   I really didn't have any ideas on what she can do, and am interested in what others can suggest. 

@Tinkrbl44 While exercise is certainly important it is worth mentioning that 80% of weight loss comes from diet.  Healthy eating is not always the answer but portion control is.  Snacking is also a good idea and important in staying satiated between meals.  She may want to try that!  While your friend may be eating well, she is likely eating too much!

Honored Contributor

The fact that some doctors are overweight is, IMO, irrelevant to any discussion about weight loss, even if a doctor who is recommending the loss is overweight him- or herself.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Would you get offended if a doctor told you to quit smoking?

@scatcat Exactly! I think it's their job and it doesn't sound like this Dr was being rude or said it as a put down.  I can understand if the suggestion came from a hairdresser or a store clerk, but come on.  Why would anyone get upset at hearing the truth from their Dr.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The fact that some doctors are overweight is, IMO, irrelevant to any discussion about weight loss, even if a doctor who is recommending the loss is overweight him- or herself.

I disagree with this.  How can one take seriously a doctor touting weightloss and the health benefits of being at your optimal weight when they are overweight or obese.  Why aren't they taking their own advice?

A few weeks ago my DH was in the hospital and a nurse was telling him that if he would just lose weight, he would more than likely be off his diabetes medication.  He was telling DH about the importance of maintaining a healthy weight level.  He ended it by saying "and this isn't coming from some fat nurse.  I'm a triathlete and eat healthy. There is nothing worse than someone telling you  you need to lose weight when they have no room to talk."  He was right.     

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I disagree with this.  How can one take seriously a doctor touting weightloss and the health benefits of being at your optimal weight when they are overweight or obese.  Why aren't they taking their own advice?

A few weeks ago my DH was in the hospital and a nurse was telling him that if he would just lose weight, he would more than likely be off his diabetes medication.  He was telling DH about the importance of maintaining a healthy weight level.  He ended it by saying "and this isn't coming from some fat nurse.  I'm a triathlete and eat healthy. There is nothing worse than someone telling you  you need to lose weight when they have no room to talk."  He was right.     

Like I said earlier, Drs are people too!  Should they not say anything just because they themselves are overweight?  Granted, it's harder to take that advice from someone who says do as I say rather than do as I do but still...

Honored Contributor

If your friend thinks that doctor was rude, I have a story you can tell her.  This is the honest truth.

About 15 years ago, I was obese.  I went yearly to my doctor and nothing was ever said.  But this particular year I had my bloodwork done, including cholestrol check and my cholestrol was high.   Crazy high.  My doc was hesitant to put me on a statin because of the issues and told me that he wanted me to try and eat healthier, exercise and lose weight and see if I couldn't get my numbers down on my own.  That day I joined Weight Watchers.  It was in July. 

The next time I went back to him was in March.  At that point I had lost 75 pounds and still needed to lose another 25.  We redid my blood work.  A few days later I got my results in the mail and everything came back normal.  However, written in big red letters on the side of the paper were the words LOSE WEIGHT!!!!!  With exclamation points just like I typed it.

I saw that and started to cry and then I got angry.  If whoever wrote that would have bothered to look at my chart they would have known I had lost 75 pounds already and my doc notated in my file what I was doing to lose weight. 

I had an appointment a few days after that and took the letter to the visit.  I showed it to my doctor and he was horrified.  I told him I wanted to speak with the person who wrote that.  I don't think he wanted to tell me who it was and he told me he would speak with her about it, that it was uncalled for, rude, etc.  I insisted and he said he'd go get her.  In walked a young woman who easily needed to lose as much weight as I had.  I held up the letter and just said "really?"  I wanted to tell her I would write down the dates and times of the Weight Watchers meetings because she obviously needed it but I wasn't going to make her feel the way I did opening that letter.  I just nicely told her she needed a few lessons in tact.                    

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva OMG how awful!  I am so sorry you had to deal with that.  Totally unacceptable.  Congratulations on your weight loss!!

as for the OP, I believe she stated that her friend's Dr. was not rude.

Honored Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva OMG how awful!  I am so sorry you had to deal with that.  Totally unacceptable.  Congratulations on your weight loss!!

as for the OP, I believe she stated that her friend's Dr. was not rude.

It seemed to me like her friend thought he/she was rude for saying that.  I don't think it's rude either.  A doctor should be addressing issues like that.  But it is a touchy subject.   No one wants to hear it said out loud to them.