Honored Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

@violann wrote:

@ellaphant- How wonderful that you've found what works "every time" for you!

Yes!  JUST like Oprah!!!!  

Honored Contributor

If I haven't learned anything else in my years posting on this board I have learned this -- many many many of the posters here have food - diet - weight issues. On both sides of the spectrum. There are people here with everything from morbid obesity to severe anorexia. In the end - it is almost impossible to discuss food - diets - weight reasonably with people who have these issues. And I'm not saying I'm not one of those people - I'm just saying  - it is a topic I believe is best left off the board, as I have learned the hard way, no matter what your take on it may be.

Super Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

A friend of mine started seeing a new Internist. At the initial exam she was told by the doctor she would like to see her lose 20 pounds by the end of the year. The doctor also gave her materials on the dangers of excess weight especially carried around the stomach. My friend does need to lose 20 pounds. She was upset by the doctors directness. She said she wasn't rude, just blunt.  I am 63 and weigh less than I did in college. I don't understand all the women in America who are profoundly overweight and do not unerstand the health risks it can cause.  We are quick to say a woman is too skinny if she is 20 pounds underweight, but take offense at being told to lose 20 pounds. It's a health issue.

@ellaphant Not to be rude, but this is your friend that you put on a shopping board.  A doctor appt. should be kept private between friends if your friend wanted to share what the doctor said.  If I was your friend and it was me displayed on this shopping board I'd be embarrassed and hurt that you would tell the world  about the appointment.  wow!  what some people think of posting.  

I always think this is so silly when someone criticizes someone else for posting a situation about a friend "on a bulletin board." Did she post her friend's name, SS#, address, phone number? No! Online bulletin boards are confidential. Nobody knows who @ellaphant is...and certainly nobody knows who her friends and relatives are.

It doesn't matter that she doesn't mention her friend's name.  It is rude, and not very friend-like, IMO, to discuss your friend's personal problem(s) on a public bulletin board.  And exactly WHAT is the purpose of doing that.  It isn't like she is asking for advice to help her friend.  I would certainly never discuss my friends' personal issues on this board and I seriously doubt my friends would mine either.  I think the OP's friend needs a new friend.

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If the MD is themselves overweight, they know better than anyone about the potential health risks.

When they (the doctor) recommends weight loss for a patient, it is about the patient, and the doc doing their job.  To deflect and defer and excuse not taking action, as that patient, is simply that - an excuse.

It's like the cobbler having no shoes, sort of.

What part of this is not understood?

It is the duty of a doctor to mention weight if applicable.  It's not about him/her, it is about the patient.  IT DOES NOT MATTER if the doctor is overweight.  It is NOT a value judgement about the patient.  It can be put kindly, and should.  But it is a part of health care, and the messenger is irrelevant for the most part.  If your blood pressure is 200/100, should they not discuss that?

This is one of the most bizarre discussions I have ever read. 

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

I disagree. It doesn't take a medical degree to know that eating less and moving more will make you lose weight. It's just that it takes more work to maintain a healthy weight. 

no...they know little -thus so many overweight....  Even if they know, most don't take their own advice.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

A friend of mine started seeing a new Internist. At the initial exam she was told by the doctor she would like to see her lose 20 pounds by the end of the year. The doctor also gave her materials on the dangers of excess weight especially carried around the stomach. My friend does need to lose 20 pounds. She was upset by the doctors directness. She said she wasn't rude, just blunt.  I am 63 and weigh less than I did in college. I don't understand all the women in America who are profoundly overweight and do not unerstand the health risks it can cause.  We are quick to say a woman is too skinny if she is 20 pounds underweight, but take offense at being told to lose 20 pounds. It's a health issue.

First of all  its not that easy to lose weight.  We are already aware we need to lose weight.  We do not need to be threatened.  If a doctor is being rude  it discourages people from seeking helthcare  they need.  

Doctors tell you to lose weight but are unwilling to prescribe weight loss medications. That makes me mad. I have over 100 pounds to lose  and I asked my doctor for help  and she would not give me medications to help with my appetite. 

Instead of being pushy and mean the doctor should offer help  and solutions.

Well anyway I tried Alli pills and I lost 20 pounds in 2 months  useing it. You may want to suggest that to your friend. it is expensive thi but you see results even if your diet is not all that good.   The first 8  pounds were lost without even trying to diet.

I stopped  taking it a few months for I plateau'd  now I am back on it and hope I I will drop another 20 pounds

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If the MD is themselves overweight, they know better than anyone about the potential health risks.

When they (the doctor) recommends weight loss for a patient, it is about the patient, and the doc doing their job.  To deflect and defer and excuse not taking action, as that patient, is simply that - an excuse.

It's like the cobbler having no shoes, sort of.

What part of this is not understood?

It is the duty of a doctor to mention weight if applicable.  It's not about him/her, it is about the patient.  IT DOES NOT MATTER if the doctor is overweight.  It is NOT a value judgement about the patient.  It can be put kindly, and should.  But it is a part of health care, and the messenger is irrelevant for the most part.  If your blood pressure is 200/100, should they not discuss that?

This is one of the most bizarre discussions I have ever read. 

Hyacinth

ITA

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

First of all  its not that easy to lose weight.  We are already aware we need to lose weight.  We do not need to be threatened.  If a doctor is being rude  it discourages people from seeking helthcare  they need.  

Doctors tell you to lose weight but are unwilling to prescribe weight loss medications. That makes me mad. I have over 100 pounds to lose  and I asked my doctor for help  and she would not give me medications to help with my appetite. 

Instead of being pushy and mean the doctor should offer help  and solutions.

Well anyway I tried Alli pills and I lost 20 pounds in 2 months  useing it. You may want to suggest that to your friend. it is expensive thi but you see results even if your diet is not all that good.   The first 8  pounds were lost without even trying to diet.

I stopped  taking it a few months for I plateau'd  now I am back on it and hope I I will drop another 20 pounds

@kcladyz, your physician may have very good reasons for not recommending weight-loss medication for you. You did ask her for other solutions, I assume?

You mention that the meds you and your friend have taken produced results even with a diet that is not all that good. But to lose weight and maintain the loss, you do need more than a pill.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I was thinking about this thread after I posted yesterday.   

Based on the opinions and comments here, I'm guessing MANY physicians have had patients get upset, hostile and even beligerent when they tried to discuss weight loss with them.

Perhaps, based on their experience, they know most of them will not do anything about their weight, so why cause such unpleasantness during a medical exam?   If they have a mirror, they already KNOW they are overweight .... but clearly don't want to do anything about it.   JMO

Valued Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

And many are overweight.  Let me assure you.  I see Dr.'s for my job every day.

There are about 20% of physicians who are in decent shape and truly watch their weight.

I am always amazed at how many overweight  Medical Assistants are out there

I'm not  talking 10-20lbs either