Honored Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

And many are overweight.  Let me assure you.  I see Dr.'s for my job every day.

There are about 20% of physicians who are in decent shape and truly watch their weight.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I read this post just after waking up this morning, and it's taken me a couple hours to figure out that this thread is posted in "BEAUTY" instead of "WELLNESS" 

That's actually how I got into trouble all those years ago in the first place.

When I went for my Gyn app't a couple months ago, My tiny OB told me I could lose some weight myself. It just made me giggle- he knew me when I was 85 pounds heavier!

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I am sure your friend's feelings were hurt if she feels she looks fine at her current weight.  HEr feelings might be hurt even worse if she found out her "friend" was posting about her experience on a public bulletin board.  Perhaps you should be talking with her about what her doctor told her.

Am I missing something? Did she mention her friends name on this Board? NO! Now I know why people are signing off these boards since it seems you can't say anything on them without people being negative.  

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

I read this post just after waking up this morning, and it's taken me a couple hours to figure out that this thread is posted in "BEAUTY" instead of "WELLNESS" 

When I went for my Gyn app't a couple months ago, My tiny OB told me I could lose some weight myself. It just made me giggle- he knew me when I was 85 pounds heavier!

Because people on the Beauty Boards have become close and like to discuss things and this, in a way, is beauty related. Besides, it's the most used Board.

Honored Contributor

I think it was a reasonable request to ask for 20 lbs by the end of the year but your friend should know she is slightly overweight.  However, some people have a faster metabolism and eat up calories where others do not and have a tendency to gain weight.  We should still treat human beings as human beings and not eager to judgeCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Would you get offended if a doctor told you to quit smoking?

Honored Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

@violann wrote:

Because people on the Beauty Boards have become close and like to discuss things and this, in a way, is beauty related. Besides, it's the most used Board.

But that's exactly my point, and believe me, I wasn't criticizing the fact that it's here.

that said, as a sufferer of weight issues for over 50 YEARS, I began to develop a more realistic and healthy approach to MY weight issues when I stopped thinking of them as cosmetic ( beauty related) and began to regard them as medical/health issues. 

My comment was made to point that out.

Honored Contributor

IMO it's all well and good for the doctor to recommend she lose weight but then he/she should also offer advice and support on how to do it.  It is much harder to lose weight especially for women as they get older.  I'm 67 and should lose 10 to 15 pounds but it does not come off as easily as it did in my 20s and 30s.  And as long as the person is healthy and comfortable with the weight I don't think 20 pounds is excessively overweight.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I have some dear friends who truly need to lose weight.....one already has health issues which could be improved with weight loss.  How I wish that their doctor would tell them they need to lose weight.  They know they need to, but I think hearing it, in a direct manner, from the doctor, might encourage them to finally do something.  I worry for them.

Why would you think that they haven't been told. For more than 40 years I was told I was too thin and needed to gain weight. The complete opposite but doctors are certainly not shy about reading their patients the riot act when it comes to weight.

My morbidly obese good friend said even when she had severe pain from an appendix that burst, she was told to lose weight before the ER doctor even diagnosed her. If it was so easy, she would not be obese in the first place.

Honored Contributor

Good suggestion from the doc.  If he upset her or hurt her, she should find another doctor.  IF she doesn't lose the weight for whatever reason, everyone should have a doctor with whom they are comfortable and who they think treats them with respect and support.