Respected Contributor

My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

A friend of mine started seeing a new Internist. At the initial exam she was told by the doctor she would like to see her lose 20 pounds by the end of the year. The doctor also gave her materials on the dangers of excess weight especially carried around the stomach. My friend does need to lose 20 pounds. She was upset by the doctors directness. She said she wasn't rude, just blunt.  I am 63 and weigh less than I did in college. I don't understand all the women in America who are profoundly overweight and do not unerstand the health risks it can cause.  We are quick to say a woman is too skinny if she is 20 pounds underweight, but take offense at being told to lose 20 pounds. It's a health issue.

Honored Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

So...what's your point?

Honored Contributor

It amazes me when I get a new Dr that weight isn't discussed.  Bravo for that Dr mentioning it.  Your friend may not have been told to lose weight before.  Sounds like she took it personally.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

So...what's your point?

I believe the point is...the new Dr was honest and gave the patient the advice required, but the patient took offense 

Honored Contributor

Why anyone would be upset at the truth is beyond me, especially since your friend even said she wasn't rude. If she was screaming at your friend about how gross and fat she was, that would be upsetting. But the doctor simply being direct about her being overweight and wanting her to lose weight isn't anything to get upset about, in fact, she should be thankful that she has a doctor looking out for her best interest and health! Isn't that what we want? 

I expect and appreciate directness from my doctor regarding health concerns/issues. I don't want them to beat around the bush.

Trusted Contributor

Why waste the time going to a doctor when you aren't going to take or are offended by the advice the physcian gives you?

Esteemed Contributor

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

Honored Contributor

Hey, sometimes the truth hurts. But  a good doc will always tell a person the truth.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think a Dr should tell more of us the simple truths about us getting weight under control My group coverage is going to start charging extra if our BMI is not within a certain range starting in 2018. They've already started surcharges on smokers and are now monitoring our BP and cholesterol. 

Eta, I'm in trouble now! A

nd it does irritate me when others find out you have a medical issue and how you possibly could have avoided it. Breast cancer for one. There are no real guarantees.

Valued Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

I disagree. It doesn't take a medical degree to know that eating less and moving more will make you lose weight. It's just that it takes more work to maintain a healthy weight.