Trusted Contributor

My Paula's Choice BHA experiment.

Hello Beauty Board Ladies!  I recently posted asking about the BHA liquid that was in the upcoming TSV.  I think the TSV is a really good deal and I'm trying to justify buying it.  So I asked if anyone had tried the different BHA formulations and if one was tackier than the other.

I use the regular strength BHA from the Clear line and I love it.  It's gotten pretty expensive since I started buying it, so I'm always looking for ways to save money, like many other people.  I tried the extra strength BHA from the Clear line and I felt it was tacky.  I wouldn't purchase again.

After my post a couple weeks ago, I decided to buy a couple samples of the BHA liquid from the TSV.  Then my experiment began.  Half my face got my usual Clear BHA, the other half of my face got the TSV BHA.  

The TSV BHA was definitely more tacky than the Clear one (according to my touch test), but after I applied my benzoyl peroxide lotion and my Resist Wrinkle Defense SPF 30, both sides felt equal.  So I think I'm going to get the TSV!  I will probably keep experimenting for a few more days to make sure, but I just wanted to post about my experience in case it would be helpful to someone else.  I have slightly oily skin.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: My Paula's Choice BHA experiment.

[ Edited ]

I haven't used the Clear version, but I can validate your experiment results with the regular 2% BHA. I also find that the BHA goes on tacky, but once I put everything else on over it, the tacky feel goes away. (I get the same tacky feel from other BHA or AHA products I use, too.)

I think you'll be happy with the TSV.

Respected Contributor

The regular bha is a little tacky but not for long. I let it soak in for 20-30 minutes, then apply my mousturizer.
Valued Contributor

I am currently trying out Paulas products also. After day 6, I have found out that it sure doesn't take much. So far, I am loving the Paulas products. I am going to order the TSV>

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

Can I use BHA on the backs of my hands and follow with a retinol product?  The skin on my hands is thin and crinkled from sun damage and I hate it.  Some age spots are appearing, but right now the texture is most troublesome.

Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

Can I use BHA on the backs of my hands and follow with a retinol product?  The skin on my hands is thin and crinkled from sun damage and I hate it.  Some age spots are appearing, but right now the texture is most troublesome.

@Trudey I use all my skincare on my hands as well. If you use BHA and/or retinol on the back of your hands, you need to make sure you also wear sunscreen because both products make your skin more sun sensitive.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze. Thanks for the response.  I haven't tried any Paula's Choice products, but plan to order the upcoming TSV.  I'm currently using the Rodan and Fields Reverse Regimen and after only a week, my skin is looking so much better.  However, I think it is too expensive to continue using long-term.  Paula's Choice seems much more reasonably priced and has great reviews.

Honored Contributor

@Trudey you are welcome. I hope you like the PC products when you try them. I think they are a great value for how long they last, the quality of ingredients and, of course, how effective they are (at least have been for me). There are some products of hers I don't like but they have a good  return policy and their Customer service is great and very helpful. I strongly encourage people to ask for some samples of products to try or purchase the trial sizes rather than buy the full priced items right off the bat. But this TSV is a great price to try some products.

Frequent Contributor

Years ago when I started using PC products, I was online chatting with the customer service SA and they told me to purchase the 2% BHA Body Lotion to use on my face.  I have tried the "face" 2%BHA from PC and I have to say for the $, get the 4 oz tube of the body lotion.  It does the exact same thing, much cheaper, not tacky, GREAT product.

Trusted Contributor

Paula addresses the tackiness in the FAQ for the BHA liquids, and also mentions that both the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid and the Clear Extra Strenghth 2% are identical products.

How does Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution differ from Paula's regular BHA products?

Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution is actually identical to our longstanding, best-selling 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid. The original product is so effective at keeping acne under control that Paula decided to add this formula to her Clear line so it is a distinct part of this 3-step routine for those struggling with blemishes. If you're already using our 2% BHA Liquid, you don't need to switch to this product; either way, you're getting an exceptional product to help combat acne, blackheads, and whiteheads while creating smooth, healthy skin.

Why does Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution feel tacky and/or greasy on my face?

Most likely because you're using too much product. The average amount necessary for facial application is less than the size of a dime. The product is best applied in a thin layer, and has great spreading properties. The "greasy" feel can be attributed to the high levels of glycol in this product (glycol helps the BHA penetrate the surface layers of skin and also works as a water-binding agent). If you live in a humid, moist climate, this effect will be more pronounced and, if too much product is used, can create a "greasy" feel on the skin. Many customers have remarked how silky-soft their skin is as a result of Clear Extra Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution, and that is the result of the humectants working with the BHA to exfoliate and hydrate the skin. To eliminate the tacky feeling, press a tissue gently onto skin after the exfoliant has been absorbed. This removes any residual product while not affecting efficacy.

The Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant feels sticky and kind of greasy on my face! Why is that?

[Pretty much same as above.]

HTH!