Respected Contributor

Last evening I had an email from Evine thanking me for my order of Tom Ford perfume.  I didn't order the 141.99 bottle of perfume, so I was off to cancel it and call them.  I couldn't log into my account or reset the password, so I tried pulling the order up with the customer number.  It came up to a totally different email address that wasn't mine, plus it was shipping to Santa Anna, Calafornia.  I'm in Georgia.  I called Evine and they were on it.  They canceled it and refunded me my money, plus are closing the other account and investigating with their fraud department, cleared my account and reset the password, plus are monitoring it, so I will get a call or email if anything is ordered and I have to approve it before it will be processed.  I pulled my banking account info and found just that one fradulant transaction, but put the account on a monitoring status, so I am notified of transactions first.  What a night!  I then changed all my passwords for all my accounts from Amazon to WM to home shopping to email.  It appears that it was just the Evnine account that was compromised, so that is good.  

Please look into your Evine accounts and check for possible issues and change your password to be sure.  I also ran my virus/malware scan.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Evine Account was Hacked

Aren't you glad you got that email thanking you for buying the perfume. And glad that it was only that one account.

I have dealt with so many different forms of fraud (with me, family and work) that I try and use my credit card on line as little as possible now.

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry that happened to you. i've had simialr incidents w/my Bank of America account.

But I didnt know that Evine sold Tom Ford!

Valued Contributor

Oh my God! I'm so sorry for you! Thankfully you caught it early and could ****** it. We've had strange charges on one of our cards before. The bank called because what the bad guys were buying was out of character for us. Turned out after backtracking and investigating...it was a pizzeria where my DH bought a bunch of pies when we helped our son and his wife move! 

We all need to be so careful. I've got cards online for shopping as I'm partially disabled and some days walking is a challenge. But, I'm beginning to think I should just use one card designated for online or, use PayPal.  

Good luck to you.....glad you got them before they could mess up things even worse!

Esteemed Contributor

That happened to me several years ago with QVC. I started getting emails that I had purchased several large TVs. My account was closed immediately.

Respected Contributor

So sorry this happened to you.  I got hit several months ago, and had to close my bank card, and wait for a new account number & card.  Someone ordered some adult entertainment on my card.  Cat Sad  I was NOT a happy camper!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Occasional Visitor

The same thing happened to me. I saw the email from Evine about my "purchase" early in the morning and immediately canceled the order.  Two more orders were placed that day that Evine canceled. I asked Evine how did this happen to so many customers? I am certainly not the only one and you did not just call me.  She told me on the phone that their computer system had been down the day before for three hours.  I asked if this was how their security had been hacked. She hemmed and hawed and finally said yes. She said that access must have been gained through emails; specifically, my email password as I must use the same password that I use for my AOL email.  I told her I do NOT use that password on ANY other account that I have-anywhere.  I am positive of that. She told me to change my AOL password immediately.  I did so with much time spent and aggravation to me.  However, I think the greater danger is that these hackers now have people's credit card information that was on file with Evine (I used Master Card). Then I called my credit union and immediately closed my Master Card account and am getting a new one.  This was time consuming and a pain in the neck, too.  I think it is pretty lousy that Evine has not even personally contacted its customers to apologize.  They are just ignoring the whole incident as though it never happened.  I know it was not their fault but the least they could do as a responsible business is reach out to those affected.  This was a very scary thing and I, for one, was a nervous wreck for the whole day.  Plus, this may not be over.  There may be repercussions in the future.

PS-Coincidentally, that same morning I received more than 190 spam emails from many different sources - ???. Per AOL's instructions, I forwarded a number to them for analysis.

Respected Contributor

@catrescuer wrote:

The same thing happened to me. I saw the email from Evine about my "purchase" early in the morning and immediately canceled the order.  Two more orders were placed that day that Evine canceled. I asked Evine how did this happen to so many customers? I am certainly not the only one and you did not just call me.  She told me on the phone that their computer system had been down the day before for three hours.  I asked if this was how their security had been hacked. She hemmed and hawed and finally said yes. She said that access must have been gained through emails; specifically, my email password as I must use the same password that I use for my AOL email.  I told her I do NOT use that password on ANY other account that I have-anywhere.  I am positive of that. She told me to change my AOL password immediately.  I did so with much time spent and aggravation to me.  However, I think the greater danger is that these hackers now have people's credit card information that was on file with Evine (I used Master Card). Then I called my credit union and immediately closed my Master Card account and am getting a new one.  This was time consuming and a pain in the neck, too.  I think it is pretty lousy that Evine has not even personally contacted its customers to apologize.  They are just ignoring the whole incident as though it never happened.  I know it was not their fault but the least they could do as a responsible business is reach out to those affected.  This was a very scary thing and I, for one, was a nervous wreck for the whole day.  Plus, this may not be over.  There may be repercussions in the future.

PS-Coincidentally, that same morning I received more than 190 spam emails from many different sources - ???. Per AOL's instructions, I forwarded a number to them for analysis.

I've been gone since I posted this early this morning helping my sister shop in a larger town 70 miles away. 

Evine told me the same thing about it being my email that was compromised and not their system, but as you said, I use different passwords and told the guy that. He asked if I kept them wrote down or in an pp that could have been hacked, and I told him no, I keep them in my head!  The first girl I talked to said they had to have a bunch of my info to order, ND I reminded her that my cc is stored on my Evine account for quick ordering, duh! The did try to down play it.  It does make me wonder about their security.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I'll be checking my e-mails for any unexpected orders.

In my opinion, it seems that Envine should be doing more to protect their customers.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Retailers just aren't all that vigilant .... or they  seriously underestimate their security requirements.

Three times I've had to close a card and replace it due to fraud/hacking ..... and all three times it led back to TARGET!!!

I don't shop as much at Target anymore, but when I do, I pay in cash!