Trusted Contributor

Every time they show make up or beauty lines they very seldom show mature women using them. Especially makeup. No matter what young models put on they are beautiful ,flawless and no wrinkles. I would love to see how it looks on mature skin. I'm sure the smoky eye would not work but maybe a different look for mature women. Show both looks. After all mature women like myself spend money on beauty products and we would like to see something different other than no wrinkles or lines on these young models. 

Honored Contributor

Re: More Mature Models Please!

It Cosmetics does use at least two mature models.

I'm guessing that the general reluctance is that young models show off their products better. So maybe cosmetics companies in general hope that more mature women will forget that they themselves will not look the same as the fresh, new young women.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, the reaction of our youth obssessed culture will not be the same when cosmetic products are shown on older women as they will be shown on the younger face.  I agree that for the mature demographic (over 50) of average shopping channel customer, using models of that age would be great.  However, let's not be naive and we would probably read right here on this board comment such as how {blank} didn't look good in the after shot because "I could still see her lines," and other negative type remarks.  

Trusted Contributor

It'll never happen. They want to cater to the younger crowd.

Honored Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

I think they know their demographics. And I doubt that a young crowd makes up as much a percentage as do the middle-aged and the older set.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I agree. Too bad we can't start a volunteer program to be one of the on-air models for skin care/make-up. Wouldn't even have to pay me--just let me take home the item they used on me.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

I think they know their demographics. And I doubt that a young crowd makes up as much a percentage as do the middle-aged and the older set.

You got that right.  The regular shopping channel customer is a 50+ years old (female).  This isn't me sepeculating, but rather information from retail industry research.  Younger people,  particularly 20-somethings, may watch and buy occasionally, but they are not the core customer. The shopping channels should feel grateful for that as older customer base tends to be more loyal and stick around. When the internet made it possible for established brick and mortar retailers and new players to join the shop from home game, the shopping channels could have been the big losers.  For all the growth shopping channels experienced in the '90s, they would all be defunct now if the core customers weren't loyal golden oldies (and I'm counting myself in that group).  

I think the shopping channels missed the young people ship.  They could hook a few younger customers 20/30 years ago before the interenet expanded the retail industry beyond our wildest dreams.  I was not 40 when I became a TV shopper. Today with all the options for shopping it just seems like a useless experiment to try to lure young customers to the shopping channels.  The format doesn't fit with the culture they've grown up in, and now navigate as adults, with everything being fast and instant.  

Honored Contributor

I would love to see some models in their 50's & 60's.  QVC's main audience, I believe, is 50 and over.    Makeup is going to look much different on mature skin but the problem is the models all have makeup on when they appear and they could very well have been air brushed (all of them young & old).before they come on air.  I hate that the models wear makeup and then the vendor & host are selling foundation, powder or blush.  Give me a break!    Woman Mad

Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I was only able to watch two LG shows and I did not see any more mature models.  I remember once watching Bobbi Btown saying that she likes a smooth canvas to work on. So no mature models for her.  I, too,wish that there were more mature models.  I know that Laura Geller is respresentative of her make up b/c she wears it, but there are no other mature models.

Honored Contributor

I understand that younger models probably do show off their products nicely, but to my way of thinking, I think we would appreicate having a younger model and an older model at the same time.  They could demonsrate how different applications and techniques could enhance the beauty of both ages.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin