Honored Contributor

I am not sure what started this but I took the tops of all of the shampoo, conditioner and scrub bottles that I keep in the shower and 60% of them had black ****** in them.

I washed, bleached and scrubbed all with a toothbrush, needless to say I will be checking every 3 weeks to make sure this does not happen again.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Keeping a bathroom window open would help, and so would a bathroom fan.

Mold usually accumulates from excess moisture trapped in the bathroom, so the above 2 suggestions if at all possible would definitely help.

Make sure you wash down everything in the bathroom, walls and floor very well, so if mold was accumulating in areas unseen the disinfectant would remove it, but ensure you run a high powered fan afterwards, to thoroughly dry the bathroom area completely.

Valued Contributor

I am glad you posted this. I live in the south, and mold and mildew is a terrible problem. We have a fan in the bathrooms, and still have problems. I never would have thought to take the caps off items in shower to check, but I sure will be doing that today.  I did have to soak the showerheads in a bleach solution and scrub them with a toothbrush because of mildew. It is a constant battle. We never leave wet towels or washcloths in the bathroom either, so that isn't the other source of problems.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I am glad you posted this. I live in the south, and mold and mildew is a terrible problem. We have a fan in the bathrooms, and still have problems. I never would have thought to take the caps off items in shower to check, but I sure will be doing that today.  I did have to soak the showerheads in a bleach solution and scrub them with a toothbrush because of mildew. It is a constant battle. We never leave wet towels or washcloths in the bathroom either, so that isn't the other source of problems.

I do have a window in the shower area, but being in suburban NYC its too cold to keep it open to long in the window and well to hot and humid in the Summer. I keep most of my shampoos etc in a mesh hanger hung hung at  least 6 fee from the shower sprayer.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mold on/in bottle tops

[ Edited ]

Never had that happen. We always leave the bathroom door open when we shower. Since we remodeled the bathrooms we dry down the shower when we are finished so that would not happen anyways. Makes it easier to keep the bathroom clean. I live in the south too but don't have any mold problems.

Respected Contributor

There was a piece on The Today Show where the guy that exposes all the rip offs and such, did a walk through in his own house. They found mold in shampoo bottle caps. You probably saw or heard someone talking about it. Go pull out your tray under your fridge, lol. His was disgusting!

Honored Contributor

After a bath or a shower, I point a standing fan at the tub/shower area and let it blow air fir a couple of hours, it dries everything really well.

Contributor

This sounds exactly what Jeff Rossen, the NBC national investigative reporter, had on a segment of the Today show a couple weeks ago.  He even used his bathroom @ his home to report on these findings.  After the segment he said something like, "well, that was embarrassing!"  He is an outstanding reporter, love his segments! I tried to find it on the net, but no luck. 

Super Contributor

I've never had a problem with mold in containers or bottle caps, even ones that have been in the shower for awhile.

Honored Contributor

I used to use a cleanser that came in a pump bottle. It's a common drugstore item that is supposed to be simple and pure; for the life of me, I can't remember the name.

Anyway, I would keep one in the shower to use on my face. One day I noticed that the color had become very dark. I guess I just hadn't paid attention before. I removed the pump and took a whiff. OMG, it was foul.

Later I went online to discover that it states on the bottle not to use in the shower because of the potential for water getting into the cleanser.

I don't know whether it was mold or bacteria or a delightful combination thereof. It still sort of freaks me out that I probably used that on my face for quite some time after it had begun to go bad.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland