Super Contributor

I am always watching youtube videos on anti aging skincare and came across a channel and she says the only way to combat aging is using medical grade skincare.  Granted she works in a medical office so does that play into it?

I am pretty deep into anti aging stuff and now I am wondering if my money would be better spent going that route.

For better info I am four months into a skincare routine and while I know these things take time I am disapointed I am not seeing better results.

Respected Contributor
What products have you been using for the past 4 months? I have tried some products from SkinMedica and IS Clinical. I spend lots of money on beauty products but can honestly say these were not worth it.
Honored Contributor

I've spent a rediculous amount of money on skincare products.... both high and low-end. Although some work better than others, the only dramatic results I've seen come from my derm's laser. However expensive that may seem, I find it no longer a need to buy potions and creams that never live up to their promises. Laser treatments have eliminated discolorations and tightened my skin. Save your money. Consult your derm about laser options. 

Honored Contributor

Prescription strength I understand, but what exactly defines medical grade skincare? How would it differ from any other kind of skincare?  I guess I'm leery that it is nothing more than a catchy label meant to make it sound as if it's of a higher-class somethow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I've used prescription Retin A for about 25 years.  My skin looks good and I get compliments all the time. 

It works better than any other product I've used.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Medical grade skincare

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I've used prescription Retin A for about 25 years.  My skin looks good and I get compliments all the time. 

It works better than any other product I've used.  

@Sunshine Kate .. me, too!  Prescription Retin-A was and is THE game changer for my skin. No other lotion or potion has ever given me such amazing results. I've been using for about 16 years and I never plan to stop. 

Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
What products have you been using for the past 4 months? I have tried some products from SkinMedica and IS Clinical. I spend lots of money on beauty products but can honestly say these were not worth it.

@Rachb

I love my SkinMedica, however I was given my regimen by a Doctor, I think that made a huge difference. I would never have known what to do with the stuff without him. I use a number of different products on an every other day basis. I have to say that with the exception of slight pinkness, my skin looks great because of it!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor
@AspenGrove
Do you use other products that are not RX with the retin A? I have an appointment Tuesday with dermatologist to look at some moles but I was curious and thought about asking for possible RX.
Super Contributor

thanks for the insight everyone. 

I never took care of my skin. I am really new to the skincare game. I knew nothing about skincare. I looked in the mirror in January and decided I was looking old and frumpy. I used Retin A off and on for years but just slapped it on here and there. I googled and found the HotnFlashy right away and started her routine. I added chemical peels in the mix and about a month ago decided I wasn't really seeing much of a difference (I have been taking photos every month.) 

So I started reading on here and found out about Skinn and how everyone raves about it. I started buying a bunch of stuff and am now using a lot of it. I guess I am just second guessing if I am on the right track or not.

Valued Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
@AspenGrove
Do you use other products that are not RX with the retin A? I have an appointment Tuesday with dermatologist to look at some moles but I was curious and thought about asking for possible RX.

I've used Retin A for years, and I have just started using other products with it. In the past, I would use it at night and then a moisturizer or serum during the day. My aesthetician said it was fine to use other items over the Retin A, such as a serum or moisturizer. I also sent an email to Paula's Choice, asking about layering ingredients. The answer also was yes, you can use a serum and moisturizer over the Retin A. 

I'd be curious what your dermatologists says. I never asked my derm if I could layer because I didn't think you could.