Trusted Contributor

Mature Women, Is Less, More?

I was reading an article online this a.m. which was addressing once again, the issue of women, beauty and age.

Two different beauty experts commented in ths article.  Both stated emphatically that once a woman hits age 50, less is more when it comes to makeup.  Both seemed to agree that women of that age might want to stay completely away from foundation, replacing it with a BB cream.  Their consensus was a bit of creme blush, eyeliner, a little mascara and a swipe of lipstick or more precisely lip stain were really all women over 50 needed.

I was surprised to read this.  I am over 50 and don't wear as much makeup as I once did, but if I used only blush, eyeliner and lip stain, I would not ve looking my best.

Do you think less is more?  If you are 50 or over, have you cut back substantially on the amount of makeup you wear?

Comments?  Opinions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Mature Women, Is Less, More?

I had to cut to just mascara for eye makeup because my vision is so bad without glasses I just can't see to put it on. I also have to do mascara first so I can fix up my mistskes I make applying it. Otherwise my MU routine has not changed but I was always a MU minimalist - foundation , touch of setting powder, blush and lip stain. I do now use a concealer on a few little spots as well but if I am not going anywhere or doing anything outside the house I don't wear MU at all. Just moisturize.

Honored Contributor

I think uniform age rules are stupid. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

I'm with you @Quinny

I am close to 70 and I wear "full" makeup to work everyday - do use BB cream most of the time, instead of foundation, but also wear eye shadow (neutral), eye liner, mascara, blush, and lipstick...I don't believe in "one size fits all" in makeup or anything else...I also wear glasses and think I need more eyemakeup or else my eyes fade away!.

As with anything else, "overdoing" makeup is not your friend and can border on "clownish" - however I have to admit, sometimes I look at pics of myself from years ago and think Yikes, why didn't someone tell me to tone it down LOL!!

Regular Contributor

Hey!  I always laugh when I read people saying women of a certain age should or shouldn't wear this or that.  People, including lots on this forum, say you should cut all your hair off, wear flats, wear knee length and below dresses, no sleeveless, a tad bit of rouge and gloss, oh and in another thread don't wear black. 

I wear what I want to wear and how I want to wear it...and it shouldn't matter if I'm 30 or 80.  👙👠💄👓👢👡

Esteemed Contributor

I think that whatever age, it's up to the individual. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

There's only one makeup rule I regularly follow: Does this make me happy? Because when it comes to my makeup, that's all that matters.

I'm not over 50, but I think women should do whatever makes them feel happy, no matter how old they are. Most days I don't wear any makeup at all, like today. (sleeping an extra 15 minutes made me happier than makeup.) Other days I might use a tinted moisturizer, color correcting concealer, a tinted lip balm, a highlighter, and some mascara. Sometimes I'll do primer, eye shadow and blush, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is less in my make-up drawer because if I find something that I like, I stick with it and do not feel the need to buy a lot of different items. Also, I no longer do make-up 'looks' as I did when I was younger, so that accounts for less product, too. I did switch to a tinted moisterizer instead of foundation because I could not find a foundation where I found the color suitable to my skin-tone, and one that did not accentuate lines. I prefer powder blush to cream. I prefer lipstick and tinted balm to a lip stain. I hate lipstains. And for me, concealer and an eyebrow pencil that are not listed in this article, are essential.

Respected Contributor

Isn't it ironic that when you are very young and don't need much makeup because you have lush brows and lashes and your skin still glows, the "experts" have no problem with piling it on.  Then, when the magical "over 50" hits and you need some emphasis for your brows and eyes and some help with complexion fading, those same experts tell you less is more.  Woman Very Happy

I no longer need heavier foundation because my skin is actually better now.  I like using eyeshadow because my eyes are one of my best features.  I have lash extensions, so I don't need to worry about mascara any more.  Lip color is a must as well.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

"Do you think less is more?"

800ea489b50eb3faabb3b79881c8efa4.jpg

You be the judge... sprint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif