Super Contributor

Re: Mally TSV September 6th

[ Edited ]

@Mellie32 wrote:

I thought all the models foundation color looked a bit off.  They were shiny as well which I don't really mind because you just use a setting powder to die that down.  The highlighter stick looked awful on the older women -- it's like they went right under the EYE and accentuated all of their wrinkles. 

The blush isn't as dark as I thought it would be - it's the only thing I'd be interested in trying.

Thank you for mentioning this, Mellie32 - I was watching the initial presentation at 12 midnight, and I couldn't help but notice the brunette model named Brooke.  After Mally applied the foundation, Brooke's face appeared a shade lighter than her neck.  It was quite noticeable, even though Mally said the shade used on Brooke was Medium.  To me, it looked like Brooke had on Light or even Fair.

And I also agree about the highlighter stick used on the older models and how it accentuated their wrinkles.

Respected Contributor

I hated the last TSV after I had enjoyed quite a few of Mally's products (esp eyes.)

Sitting this out. And I just did the Geller TSV so I am set. (And it was better than I imagined.)

Respected Contributor

Geller's latest kit seemed to be cognizant of the shimmer issue. The blush is absolutely the most natural of hers I've ever had and the shadows are matte. I didn't have complete hope for that kit, but it really makes morning makeup quick and easy. I got several compliments, which is a sure sign of success.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Campion - I wish I'd known that Geller fixed the shimmer issue.  I stopped getting her stuff because it bothered me.  Otherwise, I would have paid attention to her last TSV.  What was the item number for her last TSV? tia

Occasional Contributor

I agree the colors looked a bit off on the models.  And I am a huge sucker for beauty tsv's.  I ordered Mallys last one, and the fair looked like yellow powder on my face.  I did like shadow stick for highlighting.  I feel bad!  I always enjoyed a lot of her products in the past.

Respected Contributor

I am not sure if she will NEVER have shimmer in future, but this kit was about perfect.

I don't buy Geller eye shadows for the very reason they are glittery and actually the color payoff wasn't that great. I like the coverage of the light shadows and no glitter in the contour. My eye has a naturally dark skin though I am fair (almost like I applied shadow) and I use cream colored or peach shadows as a base. Glitter just makes my friends' little kids look at me and make funny comments!

I got the last AD from Bare Escentuals (I really like their stuff, including the bisque concealer) but the one shadow this time was completely light big glitter. Useless. If you were 20 you'd love it for partying. Well, I'm over sixty and glitter and even too much shimmer is right out. 

Anyway, she did a GREAT job on this kit. I wasn't wowed when I opened it up but the application showed me it was spot-on.

Honored Contributor

This was a very easy pass for me.  I didn't like the eyeshadow color and I detest her mascara. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those interested in why so many foundations and powders are now "radiant". you may find this interesting:

A close friend is a chemist and developer for one of the top 3 cosmetic companies in the world. We became friends when we both worked in the cosmetic department while in undergrad and have stayed friend to this day; so when she tells me stuff/gossip about the cosmetic world, I'm all ears, lol.

The radiance issue has been in the works for more than a decade. Why? The aging audience/customer. Now, foundation and powder (creams and powder) will look great on young, tight, plump and unlined skin but NOT so on skin that has lines, creases, moves/sags. In addition, the product tends to sink into those crevices. Ageing skin is usually dull (for many reasons). When asked, women want "glow, smooth and flawless skin". How do you that on dull, lined skin?

17 years or so ago, Prescriptives brought out MAGIC, the cool to the touch powder that was the forerunner for HD products. Made your skin look amazing UNTIL you had your picture taken. HD TV was not the thing (yet) but it was coming and artists needed products to use that would work. To this day, HD products (especially powder) creates a white flash-back in photos (google pictures of stars on the red carpet and many come up).

Radiance in products was the next step. Create that same illusion (highlight to the wrinkles and flaws disapear when light hit them) and the skin will appear to be flawless. Be it a primer, a moisturizer (Vit C products often contain this property) or foundation/powder, it instantly creates the look of beautiful skin......in your mirror. However, when out and about, it looks like a metallic sheen on your skin. When on camera, if a filter isn't used, every flaw is highlighted (which is why Mally's models didn't look so great). It can look lighter on but won't leave the white flash-back in photos. 

She was telling me that products with this sell much faster in specific age brackets and often, they are in the more expensive products in a line that offers all price points.Everything is done for a specific reason via marketing and it's proven to be quite successful. You'll see more and more lines adding this "look" to their products or coming out with new products containing it.

Funny thing: she doesn't wear it nor sees any of the upper leagues in the company wearing it. She notices it when a rep comes in; the difference is obvious. So, though it may look great in the mirror (due to the way your face is lit- which is why Youtubers look so bright and flawless, btw- plus globs of makeup) it's not so great when out and about in the real world.

THis is why I don't use a foundation or powder that contains such a "look".

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam  That's fascinating!  Thanks for posting!  What kind of makeup do you wear?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

I ordered it.

I've been wanting an easy to apply/out-the-door-in-no-time foundation.  I don't need the mascara (even though I love her's) because I just dont' wear it, I like the color of the shadow, and the blush seems nice. I figure if I don't like any of it at least the brushes will be good (which I need).