Valued Contributor

Looking for the perfect red lipstick!

I want a red lipstick that is soft ( not the only thing people notice) looking but it needs to stay on longer than a lip gloss. I have dark brown hair and eyes and I can't get away with a nude lip (too washed out) but I can never find just the right lipstick to wear with red tops. What are your favorite red lipsticks? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for the perfect red lipstick!

Bobbi Brown has the most wearable and forgiving Reds.

New Contributor

Reds are either fabulous or awful.  There are blue reds, orange reds, purple reds...and the right one depends not just on coloring but if you are warm or cool toned, yellow or pink undertones, what you are wearing, and your other makeup too.  i recommend going to sephora and doing lip IQ and let a SA help with your best matches.

Honored Contributor

I've been on the same hunt myself.  Lately I've been playing around the Skinn Hollywood Red Lip Pallet and there are some nice offerings in it.  I'm also interested in trying a Skinn Smudge Sticks in Red Heat and Cherry and the Skinn Collagen Boost Lipstick and Gloss set in Red Heat. 

Respected Contributor

I love Lipstick Queen Medieval! Very wearable!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

MAC and Nars make great reds.

MAC Hot Tahiti is sheer and buildable and a good basic red every skintone can wear. I think it's a softer red. Russian Red, Ruby Woo, and Lady Danger are some of their most famous reds. They're more "pin-up" reds.

NARS Flair is a sheer berry red that's softer. Dolce Vita is another sheer red, that has more brown tones. NARS Heatwave and Jungle Red are also great reds that are more of the pin-up reds.

I prefer the NARS formula, but I find that lipsticks are difficult because what lasts and feels moisturizing for one person doesn't work for another.

Esteemed Contributor

Red is so hard to wear.  Maybe I haven't tried enough reds.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Contributor

Bite Beauty Frozen Berries Matte(actually semi-matte and hydrating smooth application) Lipstick in Black Cherry, Matte lip crayon in Poppy, Tannin or Luminous creme lipstick in Apricot, Zivoli.

Zuzu Luxe Starlet or Vino De Amor.

Tarte Matte Lipsurgence Fiery or Lipsurgence Lust.

Kat Von D vampira (In liquid lipstick or matte lipstick formulas).

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

MAC and Nars make great reds.

MAC Hot Tahiti is sheer and buildable and a good basic red every skintone can wear. I think it's a softer red. Russian Red, Ruby Woo, and Lady Danger are some of their most famous reds. They're more "pin-up" reds.

NARS Flair is a sheer berry red that's softer. Dolce Vita is another sheer red, that has more brown tones. NARS Heatwave and Jungle Red are also great reds that are more of the pin-up reds.

I prefer the NARS formula, but I find that lipsticks are difficult because what lasts and feels moisturizing for one person doesn't work for another.

I like that Russion Red!  Mac Red is nice, but I don't like lipsticks with orange undertone.  Reds are HARD to wear.  I bought a red gloss from Urban Decay that's nice.  It's from their revolution line.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I love Lipstick Queen Medieval! Very wearable!

Me too, the perfect sheer red.