Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why is it that there are days I look in the mirror and see nothing but old and ugly.....and like today I looked in the mirror and thought "Wow! I look pretty darn good for 60 plus!"

Same  mirror....same ol me....very puzzling. Could it be the fame of mind that a person is in the minute you look at yourself in the mirror? 

I think that some days you just notice a new skin thingy or wrinkle. Maybe most days you don't focus on that softening jawline or slight thinning of your once thick hair? Most of the time we are too busy or  just not as critical of ourselves. My new mantra is fix what you can, and ignore the rest.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's about age at all; it's just about how we are feeling about ourselves on any particular day.   On a good day, when all is right with our world and we're feeling happy and positive; we're more likely to like what we see in the mirror.   Also, if we've tried a new skincare regimen or bought a new foundation or had our hair done; we're going to like what we see in that mirror.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I often see my mother in my mirror.  She was a beautiful person inside and out. Woman Happy

@SilleeMee     I am the dead-spittin'-image of my dad.    Nice guy......but definitely not "cute"......(!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I often see my mother in my mirror.  She was a beautiful person inside and out. Woman Happy

@SilleeMee     I am the dead-spittin'-image of my dad.    Nice guy......but definitely not "cute"......(!!)

I look like my pops too...thing is, he was cute!!😎

Respected Contributor

The change in my face in the past two years has been pretty drastic, due to illness, meds, stress, worry...the absolute worst compilation for aging one's face.  I look in the mirror and try to find

the face I remember, and it's not really there...my eyes and smile were my best features, maybe they still are, as I see that in my longtime friends, and newer acquaintances as well.  So now I say, the old is now the new!  It is what it is baby, and not bothering me too much and if it does become an overwhelming thought, there are derms and plastic surgeons...I don't really see myself going that route because I'm in what I call a comfort zone with myself (for now)😁

Esteemed Contributor

My dearest friend has an inoperable brain tumor...she's so beautiful and brave I have to catch my breath sometimes.  When I visit she comes and goes mentally but that beautiful spirit is just always there. @3suwm5 I agree.. beauty isnt just in the mirror.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

As I look in my 10x mirror I say to myself " Well, you're above ground today" ! 

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

My dearest friend has an inoperable brain tumor...she's so beautiful and brave I have to catch my breath sometimes.  When I visit she comes and goes mentally but that beautiful spirit is just always there. @3suwm5 I agree.. beauty isnt just in the mirror.

Prayers for your close friend...your a pretty special friend and person...hugs (((((💕))))) for you both.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Why is it that there are days I look in the mirror and see nothing but old and ugly.....and like today I looked in the mirror and thought "Wow! I look pretty darn good for 60 plus!"

Same  mirror....same ol me....very puzzling. Could it be the fame of mind that a person is in the minute you look at yourself in the mirror? 

@SeaMaiden

I think frame of mind has a lot to do with it.  If I'm feeling very down, I tend to be very negative about my appearance.  No matter what I apply, or what I do, I just feel like I look horrible --- old, tired, and sad.  But at other times, I look and think --- well, kid, you will never be 20, 30, 40, etc. again -- but what you have ain't so bad!  

I have to say that within the last year or so, I seemed to have aged dramatically.  I don't know if all of my illnessess, my husband's illnesses, all the other stress I am consantly going through with my family and work, or if this is just the magic age where things genetically are starting to break down, but I have noticed the biggest change in me so far -- and, of course, I am not pleased about it at all. 

I try not to dwell on - just do the best I can and move on!  It does no good to worry and fret about it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I look like my pops too...thing is, he was cute!!😎

@Desertdi ~ oh boy, my comment reads wrong...I meant dad's cute, me not so much...😌