Honored Contributor

Why is it that there are days I look in the mirror and see nothing but old and ugly.....and like today I looked in the mirror and thought "Wow! I look pretty darn good for 60 plus!"

Same  mirror....same ol me....very puzzling. Could it be the fame of mind that a person is in the minute you look at yourself in the mirror? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking In The Mirror

[ Edited ]

Everybody has bad days......

but when you speak of frame of mind - there are so many positive people who have great self esteem.

When I was young it seemed so odd to me that all of the glamor girls would just go and become recluse as they aged.  People always expect to stay the same.  So many people judge folks on how they look and some fall to that pressure.

eta to add.

I remember seeing the movie On Golden Pond with Henry and Jane Fonda and  one of them said something to the effect that "the golden years aren't so golden".  It made tears in my eyes and I didn't even know why.

Trusted Contributor

I think that is quite common with us as we get older!!  Everyone does grow older!!  Women are more critical but that is o.k.!!  It will encourage us to try a little more maintenance!!  As I grow older my goal is to stay healthy and happy!!  We are still who we are inside so looking older is really not that important!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

"Why is it that there are days I look in the mirror and see nothing but old and ugly"

Because you're looking at yourself in a 5X or 10X mirror. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

It is in our best interest to make a habit of looking for the positive things. It is hard to do.

I'm fortunate in that I do that & successfully eliminated the negative, self-destructive thoughts a long time ago. I do get thoughts like, "I don't even recognize myself!" and other, more kindly red flags. 

What we see in the mirror is a reflection of many things, including how life has been going recently. Getting too little sleep after a late night of partying might result in feeling tired and looking it the next day. After a relaxing day spent recharging one's body, mind, and spirit the mirror might reflect a much more youthful & happier face.

Honored Contributor

I often see my mother in my mirror.  She was a beautiful person inside and out. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Yes, indeed, it is the frame of mind.  Remember, it's what's on the insideSmiley Wink

I have a friend that is struggling with cancer.  I spoke with her the other day and she mentioned something about, I'm not my usual self, she's gone.  It broke my heart to hear her say that.  I told her over and over, your wonderful soul is still there, it will never go away.

Doesn't matter what's in the mirror!!

Respected Contributor

I think as we age it is just natural for us to see changes we weren't really expecting. Then we all of a sudden start focusing on the things about us that have held up well and also our over all physical health. It is wonderful when you have that moment of realizing that you still look good and feel good and embrace the age you are with a good attitude. I think we all need to do the best we can with maintaining ourselves inside and out and having an appreciation for all that we have been through and where we are in our lives. A smile makes a huge difference in our looks also. Amazing how just a simple thing like that can really make us look younger but it does because it lets happiness shine through and that is what others see.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden .... Hi ... thanks for posting this .... it happens to me everyday!! .... I thought it was only me but, I guess I was wrong! ... lol  😄

Trusted Contributor

I think when you are older I'm in my 70's I don't look in the mirror for beauty anymore. I see my wrinkles ,sags and bags. I also see a person through life has survived so many heart aches, losing love ones ,staying strong and having the courage to go on. . Someone who raised her children with love and gratitude . Someone who is grateful for life's lessons to pass on to my children and grandchildren. Then I see beauty in that mirror because I am blessed.