Respected Contributor

Does anyone else just hate putting layers of stuff on your face especially sunscreen.   I just cannot seem to find the right combination of stuff to use....primer, sunscreen etc.  Sometimes I feel it all just settles into wrinkles and makes me look older.  I know sunscreen in essential but hard to find the right stuff.  Yesterday I told my face I would give it a break and after washing in the morning did not put on anything. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Layering products on face.

Find the fewest amount of products that do what you want. I haven't found a primer that does anything, unless it breaks me out. I don't use one. I don't spend a lot of time in the sun, so I use my Boscia SPF15 Oil Free Daily Moisturizer. It gives me light hydration, I don't get oily & it wears well under foundation. If I saw results, I would layer as many as I could.

Honored Contributor

I'm with you. I like using Supergoop City Serum Sunscreen and usually skip a primer. I mix a drop of foundation into my moisturizer and use that as a tinted moisturizer to save steps. I save primer for special events or use it only in summer when my skin gets a little oiler.

At night I'm happy to take more time to apply my Paula's Choice 2% BHA or a retinol and/or serum, and moisturizers products and look at it like winding down ritual. On days I work at home or don't plan on going outside, I use my night products during the day and skip sunscreen and makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do most my layering at night and just use a facial serum, eye cream and then my moisturizer/sunscreen during the day. Started using Paulas Choice and WOW what a difference after only 2 weeks. Also use my clarisonic at night before layering. Skincare works better on truly clean skin.

Respected Contributor

Yes. I like short, simple routines for morning and night.

Esteemed Contributor

So much depends on your age and the condition of your skin.

I do layer stuff prior to my foundation, as it is necessary for me.  and a little bit of primer goes a long way.  As much as I liked and used IT powder foundation, I really love IT CC liquid foundation in a tube.  It does provide full coverage while looking natural.  And it has 50 SPF, which is a good number to protect your skin, and saves you an additional step.  You may consider trying this.

Respected Contributor

i do wear vitamin c and another serum every day.  on days when i'm not doing anything special i only wear a moistuizer with sunscreen.

when going somewhere i skip the sunscreen and wear a bb cream and sometimes a cc cream ( i have accumulated quite a collection) only along with a little blush and in the summer a bronzer.

a primer isn't needed.  it's built into the creams.

Trusted Contributor

As another person noted, so much depends on your age, skin type and cosmetic choices.

I'm 59, oily T-zone, and allergic to chemical sunscreens.  I recently switched from a liquid foundation/BB cream to powder foundation.  It's been a challenge to find a decent combo of moisturizer-sunscreen-primer that doesn't fight each other or make my skin break out.

Most newer liquid foundations/BB creams have a built-in primer and a separate one isn't necessary.  I find it absolutely necessary to use a primer with powder foundation for a smooth finish.

My three layering products in the morning before makeup are:

1.  Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture, Combination Skin, alternating days with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Moisturizer, Pink Grapefruit.

2.  Exuviance Sheer Daily Protector Sunscreen Broad Spectrum, SPF 50 PA++++.  This is a mineral sunscreen with 7% Titanium Dioxide and 6% Zinc Oxide and is available at Ulta.

3.  Laura Geller Spackle Mattifying Oil Control Under Make-up Primer.

If it's a no-makeup day, I only use moisturizer and sunscreen, even if I'm in the house all day.  UVB rays are effectively blocked by window glass but UVA rays are not.  

Honored Contributor

I use Isomers Vit C serum Or Glutathiosome in the morning with one of the Isomers moisturizers before I apply my makeup. I tend to use more serums at night. I don't put on my makeup everyday so most mornings I wash my face & apply Isomers copper p or moisture mask with moisturizer. I don't wear sunscreen. I have tried primers & they don't seem to make a difference. The only one I have used that I would use again is SSC Pretty Fast Diffuse Perfecting Serum.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, aubegirl, I've always been against layering several products on my face.  After you apply one layer, does anything else you apply on top of it sink in?  Do too many layers clog your pores?

In the mornings, I apply a Vit C cream to my face and a firming cream to my neck. On the days I wear makeup, I apply a primer and foundation with sunscreen.  I refuse to wear a separate sunscreen because it makes me too greasy.  (I have oily skin)  

Nights, I apply a Retinol cream to my face and neck and sometimes the firming cream on my neck.  That's all.

At least one day a week I wear absolutely nothing on my face.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt