Super Contributor

Anybody ever watch and buy loose gems from the Late Night Rocks shows on Jewelry Television (JTV)? I'm just curious as I do wonder if the gems are truly legit or are some man-made. I know they say they aren't but you never know. I'm particularly drawn to the mixed lots or parcels, where you get a whole variety of loose gems. Kind of a grab-bag. But again, I'm concerned there would be some man-made or resin/epoxy stones thrown in.

If you have bought these before, did you have them set in anything? Ever have the stone appraised or verified?

Honored Contributor
You can easily tell if something is a sort of resin or plastic by the weight and temperature. They're more likely to be glass, but no, I never bought any.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

They used to proudly brag they didn't sell man-made gems but that changed. I did buy more loose gems than I want to admit. As far as I can tell they were (at that time) all real. However, they can be crack-filled, vapor-enhanced, dyed, etc. Many of mine were chipped and cracked. They are supposedly first quality but I think you get what you pay for. That said, I had a ball looking through them and trying to figure out what they were. I also bought tool kits thinking I would make something with them. Well, that was just a fantasy. Also, the stones look huge on the screen. If a kit is 10 carats and you see 14 stones, expect them the be the size of apple seeds. HTH