Valued Contributor

L'Oreal Sublime Mousse haircolor review & the new foam colorants

I tried this a few days ago and while it has some good points, the color came out much too dark. There are only 3 blonde shades. A light, medium and dark. I used the medium golden blonde and it came out a dark neutral blonde. This is part of the Healthy Look line and I used the same color I used in their demi color but this came out totally different. It will be OK with some highlights and when it fades a bit, but I'm not pleased and won't use it again. Here are the pros and cons

Pros

Left the hair in great condition

No sectioning at all

Easy to apply

Easy to prepare and mix. Color is a liquid.

Didn't drip

Easy to rinse out

Good after color conditioner

Good gloves

Cons

Color grabs and processed too dark on the shaft of the hair. Much darker than the shade level it was supposed to be

Previously processed hair took too much color compared to the newer growth by scalp

Root area was lighter than a medium golden blonde

Gray hair took ashier

Very harsh ammonia haircolor smell. Went away as color processed though

Color too flat looking. Says it keeps hair's natural lights and darks but did not

No golden blonde. Shade said golden blonde but was more ashy. Photo on the medium golden blonde was of a light ash blonde.

Limited shades

All these new foam color seem to share the similar problem of taking too dark on many people. The new John Frieda one isn't supposed to have the harsh smell but people said it came out too dark on them too. If you use a shade lighter it may not color your gray. I've read similar reports on the Nice 'N Easy foam also grabbing too dark for many. This is such an easy way to color hair. I had hoped with this new go around with foam colors, after they were first brought to maket about 30 years ago the problems would have been fixed. I so want these to work as I hate to have to section the hair for root touch ups.

If you've tried any of the new foam colors what has been your experience with them?