Trusted Contributor

Kinda gross: did anyone ever lose a toenail? Care to share your experience?

I just lost my big toenail due to a nail injury--just in time for sandal season. What should I expect re regrowth, etc.? Thanks beauties--this is definitely a beauty banter category since it ISN'T beautiful! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kinda gross: did anyone ever lose a toenail? Care to share your experience?

Yes, my big toenail twice. I freaked out and went to the doctor the first time.

It grew back fine both ties. However, I just lost ANOTHER big toenail. It has a funky ridge in the middle. I am hoping the ugly ridge grows out. I used a buffer on it which helped a little.

Honored Contributor

Oh ow!!!! OW!!! I lost a toenail on the toe next to the big one...after running a race. It grew back....thinner than before....uhmmmm my mom lost hers...oh this is so gross...she just taped/band-aided it on and polished it until the new growth/toenail came in....,I think it took about 6 months....bleckhhhh.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 flickerbulb said:

Yes, my big toenail twice. I freaked out and went to the doctor the first time.

It grew back fine both ties. However, I just lost ANOTHER big toenail. It has a funky ridge in the middle. I am hoping the ugly ridge grows out. I used a buffer on it which helped a little.

Mine has a ridge in the middle also. HOW LONG did it take to grow back?

Honored Contributor

I have a ridge in my toenail too...and use a buffer as well...oh what a topic...
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 MickD said: Oh ow!!!! OW!!! I lost a toenail on the toe next to the big one...after running a race. It grew back....thinner than before....uhmmmm my mom lost hers...oh this is so gross...she just taped/band-aided it on and polished it until the new growth/toenail came in....,I think it took about 6 months....bleckhhhh.

LOL! I thought of taping it on also, but it was hanging by a thread and then it fell off in the house and I found it on the stairs. REALLY GROSS! Anyway, I do my own pedicures so I just painted the nail bed. It's REALLY short and NOT TOO ATTRACTIVE. I don't think that people will really look at my toes--my cankles are much worse!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 MickD said: I have a ridge in my toenail too...and use a buffer as well...oh what a topic...

I agree and I started the thread but when I read the thread about NAIL FUNGUS it made me think of my poor lost toe nail!

Respected Contributor

Oh yes - twice! My second toe is longer than my big toe - the ""official"" name for that is Morton Toe - and both times I injured it while running and it eventually fell off. It took a while to grow back both times and now that nail is much thicker than all of my other toe nails. I hate it but there is nothing I can do about it!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 FastDogWalker2 said:

Oh yes - twice! My second toe is longer than my big toe - the "official" name for that is Morton Toe - and both times I injured it while running and it eventually fell off. It took a while to grow back both times and now that nail is much thicker than all of my other toe nails. I hate it but there is nothing I can do about it!

And about how long did it take to grow back? I read up on my misfortunate situation and saw that it is VERY common in runners. Unfortunately, the only place that I run to is the refrigerator...

Esteemed Contributor

I had an ingrown toenail on each big toe at the same time...went to the podiatrist and he slit the sides and said I would never get another ingrown toenail. Well, he was right, they kept falling off at the slightest bump. I get pedicures every two weeks and she did the gel nails until my nails grew back, seemed like about 6 months and then removed them...the nails came back healthy and strong....I don't think it is a good idea to paint your nail bed.