Respected Contributor

Keratin Treatment to recommend

[ Edited ]

Hey!  About 5 years or so ago I got my first kertin treatment.  It was a long tedious process.  Stinky too.  My hair was poker straight and I could not wash it or put it in a ponytail for three days.  After that dreaded period, my hair looked pretty good for a few months.  I didn't like the process so I was reluctant to repeat the process. 

A couple years later my stylist said she was using a new brand of keratin treatment that had no formaldehyde or harsh chemicals so it would'nt  smell and I could do whatever I wanted with it right after the service.  I got one in the fall and it was supposed to last 5 months.  My hair still looked frizz free more than 6 months later but I decided to get another one last week.  I think I could have waited until the fall so I am going to see if I can go a year with this one.  It is called Cezanne and it cost me 250.00 to have it done. I have wavy hair and I can wear it wavy or blow dry it straight.  It doesn't inhibit my waves, just gets rid of the frizz. I highly recommend it.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Keratin Treatment to recommend

I'm scheduled for this type of treatment in two weeks. My stylist said it's a type of keratin treatment that will de-frizz my hair, but won't make it straight. I can't remember the name, but I know it wasn't Cezanne. If I remember correctly, she said it doesn't have all the chemicals or restrictions keratin treatments have. She said it will gradually wash out in a couple months. Hopefully I remembered/understood all that correctly!

Honestly I'm kind of nervous and might cancel. I've never had any type of treatment done before and all the chemicals scare me.
Honored Contributor

As with any treatment, hair or skin, the success depends on the person doing the treatment. 

I'd ask questions about how many they've done, results, etc. 

I prefer a bit of oil daily to prevent any frizz than taking a chance on keratin. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just had this keratin treatment done earlier this month. I have had keratin treatments done in years past. I was nervous about stick straight hair as mine is now baby fine and curly. 
The treatment was great. Still some texture to my hair, which is what I wanted. Quick and easy to blow dry and style with a large heated brush. My hair is smooth, not straight and frizz is reduced.

My stylist said the results are cumulative and I should keep up on the treatment at regular intervals, which I will do. Next time will be after DS's wedding in the fall.

I get all hair services except cuts done at my local cosmetology school for a fraction of the salon prices and the results rarely disappoint. If so, the teacher makes it right.

Respected Contributor

I've had a keratin treatment at the start of every summer for many years.  Most treatments have long been made without formaldehyde, so just ask if the chemical concerns you.  (I hated the smell -- reminded me of the frogs in bio lab in 10th grade.)  This year I'm going to get what my salon calls the "express" treatment, which costs less, takes less time to do, and uses less of the straightener in order to avoid the usual days of stick-straight, flat hair. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that less is more.

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife That sounds great.  I checked and it is offered in a couple of places near me now.  I had what I think was a similar treatment last summer - hair botox - my hair still had wave if I wanted it to, wasn't flat, lots of shine - looked healthy. No smell, could wash hair right after if you wanted too  Actually, I do remember right after the treatment my hair looked very very flat, just like a regular keratin or brazillian blowout, which I was quite upset about but after I washed my hair it started fluffing back up!  Relief.  I wonder what the real. difference is between the two treatments.

Respected Contributor

@stb13  If you do remember the name and/or go ahead with the treatment, I'd really be interested in hearing about it.

Trusted Contributor

I have keratin treatments done twice a year.  Yes, the effects last a good six months. They make blow drying so much easier.  I don't know the brand my stylist uses, but it doesn't contain formaldehyde, doesn't smell and the process takes approximately 1.5 hrs.  I guess I'm getting a deal at $150.00!